• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Choosing your first Deuce...what would you do?

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am finally going to join the gang and buy my first deuce. I am looking at a couple different ones.

The first is a good runner with a SF97. Has a minor oil leak but otherwise runs great. has a straight body, ok tires, little to no rust. Has troop seats and bows for cab and back but no canvas. Worst part is the paint job. (Done with a roller). She'll need blasting to fix it right. Price is about $3.5K.

The second one I found on GL @ French Camp CA. Body looks better, has a hard cab but no idea is she runs (dead battery) No SF97. This one I may be able to get for a cheaper $ and seems to look better.
BTW, will GL let me hook up another battery or even a charger to see if she runs?

Now the question...what would you do if it was your first time?

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
My opinion is French Camp is pretty far away and will cost an arm and leg to get it towed if it doesnt run. It would definately be worth the time for an inspection. Some GL people are customer oriented and will let you try and jump start it, some are not. I have never been to French Camp. $3500 is a pretty average/realistic price to pay for a good running duece assuming there is no winch or hard top so its not like you would be pasing up a smoking deal if you decided to wait to inspect the GL truck. The prices of trucks on GL have increased dramatically over the past few years and you could end up paying $3000 for a truck with no SF97 which is going to be hard to get registered in Ca. Also if you have never bought anything requiring an EUC through GL then you would have to wait several months to even pick up the truck. The easiest option is to buy a good running truck private party that has already been registered. If you want to try and get a duece for cheap and dont care about titling it then try the GL route. Good Luck 2cents

Desert Rat

Big Mike;

I had a very unique experience in selecting my Deuce. I have over 1.5 million miles of driving experience plus an in-depth working knowlege of trucks from my grandpa. So I had more at my disposal than most first timers.

The lack of an SF-97 is an obstacle that need not be except for corporate laziness (what? Corporate America lazy and greedy?). It's more of a headache than you may want to tackle. I've been friends with judges, so it was MUCH easier for me.

Personally, I believe one in running condition is worth more than going cheap and rolling the dice. GL trucks go for double what they used to. GL is known for upping the bids to get the money they desire for a truck. $3500 is very reasonable for a running Deuce with a clean title! The fun is in the tinkering and restoring or customizing of the truck!

When I first got my truck she didn't even look close to what she looks like now. I changed her as our family needs have changed. That's the beauty of these machines!

Without a proper inspection of these trucks a blind bid is a bit too risky for me.

As far as GL willing to allow you to find out if the truck even runs? Don't count on it unless you personally know the site manager. They are VERY defensive about people even looking at the trucks let alone seeing if they run. Remember, if word gets out a truck is a non-runner then they don't get the money they want. Heaven forbid if GL was an above-table business. Don't forget, the Clintons own it too!!!

2deuce

Desert Rat,
What do you know about GL upping bids so they make more on the deal? I haven't bought from them, but I have talked to them and they were very unaccomodating. I decieded I wasn't going to deal with them.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just did both, too soon to know for sure how I would do it again. One thing I'm sure of though. I would not bid on or buy without actually seeing a truck in person! I just did that with the GL truck. Pictures of both trucks I bought looked different than in person! Up close most trucks have a lot of stuff going on that just does not show in pics. As far as title goes, if you pay and persist you can get anything accomplished( frustrating and time consuming). You probably want one for fun, so have fun don't complicate things just for money or thrills! Also shipping is around $4/mile around here!

Deuceswild

Big Mike,

I would take into consideration some of the following because I have never purchased anything from a G.L Auction.

How many dollars you will have to spend AFTER the purchase price, which,without a test drive its kinda hard to know if there is anything else that needs attention.

How much time and energy can you devote to the project to complete your goal.

Do you have the space and tools / equipment to do the necessary work or repairs?

Experience with mechanical / electrical and basic metal fabrication skills?

Good Luck and hope everything works out for the best

houdel

Here's what I did. I'm about 230 miles from where I bought my truck, went there in January to look at a couple they had, liked what I saw, put some bids in but the price got way too high for me. About a week later they listed another truck, "running condition unknown", the pics looked pretty good, but I wasn't up to spending another full day to drive there and back to inspect it, plus I didn't have the resources to try and get running even if the GL rep would let me.

I put postings here and on the MV net asking if anyone knew any mechanics at that particular base. I managed to get hooked up with a long time army mechanic with a passion for Deuces. He agreed to look at it for me, found one battery had a bad cell and the dogbone (connector between the two batteries) was loose. He jumped it to get it running, drove it around a while, told me everything worked and it was a great truck! I bid with confidence and got it at a really good price compared to the ones sold there in "running condition"!

The mechanic even met me when I picked it up to get it started for me. Needless to say, I compensated him for his effort even though he said he didn't want anything.

So, my suggestion is to try and locate a mechanic at French Camp who will check out the truck there for you, you may be able to steal a jewel or avoid buying a big green boat anchor!

jasonjc

I got 4 trucks from GL only 1 LOOKED like it mite run.Drove it home 300 miles no problems (well some little things) great truck. another one the pic showed no radiator and some other thing wrong had it towed home about a year ago 250 miles $750.00 . The eng/tran was lose just seating in the frame bolted it back in new filtes oil and radiator and been driveing ever sences the other 2 I'm still working on but I knew that going in.

What houdel said about a menchic would be a great way to go if you can. One GL site I went to rthe site manager said NOT to try to start anything thet the DRMO people where whacting and they were the one not whatting you to start them. Hey someone that does not know what they are doing can do ALOT of damage real fast. Kenny just got a eng with a big hole in it from someone. How would you feel if you looked at a truck that was nice and some one came after you and blow it up then you bid top $$ not knowing it thinking it was still good??
Just my 2cents

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still a bit on the fence. I'm gonna take Houdel's advice and post looking for a mechanic @French camp. I'll keep ya all informed.

motorolanut

Don't be scared off by those who are down on GL. I have had bad experiences as well. But like the above have said, and I will repeat
Inspect your Truck top to bottom before bidding!!! This will reduce your chance of getting a lemon by 99%

Desert Rat

2Deuce,

I won 'Storm from GL before they went nuts with the prices. GL is under investigation from the DoD about this practice. The very fact they are under investigation tells me (as a journalist) they have done somethings shady and gained someone's attention way up the food chain. I used to do business with them, but not anymore. They want full retail dollar for wholesale junk. Sorry for them, but I don't deal that way. I have other, and much cheaper, more relyable sources to draw from than these people. They didn't double-cross me, but I'm suspicious when the Feds start doing a mulit-pronged investigation of any business I work with.