• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CHOPPED HA! Dropside MOUNTED- pics

spicergear

Yeah...another gritty day. Managed to excavate the dropside bed from the bottom of the barn and decided it was a nice day to wreck it. Ended up with 96-1/2" front to back in the bed. Cut 50-1/2" out of it. Had posted a time ago a couple pics of the sides that I had shortened. Not welded but fit nice and square and have a couple of clamps on the frame. I think it's gonna really be swank behind the crane. Right now the thought is to have it dump as well so...we'll see when I get to that-

Attachments

papercu

chopped

I know you are being safe but this is very fresh in my mind. Last week a close friend and neighbor was killed while trying to pull up a stump. Tractor reared up and over, pinning him and then the tractor caught fire. We can only hope he died before the fire got him, there wasn't enough left to know for sure. Wayne

NEIOWA

Re: chopped

papercu said:
I know you are being safe but this is very fresh in my mind. Last week a close friend and neighbor was killed while trying to pull up a stump. Tractor reared up and over, pinning him and then the tractor caught fire. We can only hope he died before the fire got him, there wasn't enough left to know for sure. Wayne
Yes and as I recall Deere has a very inexpensive program to add a ROPS to the older tractors. That single point rear kickstand won't do much.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: chopped

I like the chassis jig Tom. Thats not that cheap imported crap is it?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter

First thing my granpa told me about tractors was this very safety issue. ahh.. back in the days of unpadded steel seats with yellow jacket nests under them..

spicergear

Hey Kenny, what do you mean 'chassis jig?' My wood blocks? They were part of unloading it from the utility trailer that got it up from the barn. If the big crane wasn't layed up, this would be gravy. I have to move it again tomorrow so I can get it to my welder. More fun.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

That's cool!!! It looks like a real dropside that got shrunk in hot water!! :shock:

M1075

You have to have one of the best office views I have ever seen. Can't wait to see the finished truck with the big dumb trailer behind it!

spicergear

Right on MadDawg308!

Good memory TiM- I've got a pump that was on my '53 REO when I got it. The ole Lamborghini will have to wait for another oil based project-- :)

spicergear

So here are some pics of the bed on the truck! Got it all fried together today and bolted on. Once my crane is up again I'll be able to verify the swing and if my clearance is okay. If not to move it back a few inches is no problem and may facilitate the future dump plans for it and not have any issue with pintle interference. Still have just a touch of modifying to do to the bed. The front panel and it's large support wedge shape and up right over top the front tandem and only give about 3" suspension travel. Gotta notch that across...no biggy-

Attachments

No.2Diesel

RE: Re: RE: CHOPPED...HA! Dropside-

Nice job with the bed and crane. Whats the Crane's max. extension and capacity?

Can you make it to Rausch Creek with one of your trucks? Would love to see that crane in action!!

hot rod deuce

Do you have an empty weight on the truck? Looks like a swiss army knife, I love it

Did you ever think of doing a "roll off"? We have a GMC Kodiak with a type of home made roll of container frame system. It is alot like a cable roll of rig but we used a winch up front. Then we can winch on a flat bed, dump box, garbage containers. We even made frame works for our Excavator attachments so we can just winch them up on the beams and drive off.

I think It would Be PEFECT for your truck. The only weight added would be from the exta frame, you would have to move the winch and put a hydo motor on it though.

I was going to do it to the crew cab so I could swap out an M109 box/camper and winch the stock box back on. Then I was going to make a "recovery body" with a 45,000 pound winch and some stiff legs. But then i decided to stick with the box...

If you would like pics of mine let me know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks