• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Christamas time

DeuceDad

My local vets will be out to the shop to light mine up tomorrow for saturdays parade .

Ill be out of town sat , hopefully someone gets me a photo .

Anyway of running lights on a deuce and the run them with the electrical power off the truck? How could this be done?

IMA944T

Do not have invertor but do have 58 deciebel EU1000 honda generator. Have 3/4 inch pvc painted green that zip ties to truck in u shape so it cathes both rings for rear tires and same for frt. Have enough room when turning and with generator it looks good driving. haven't been stopped yet but don't drive it at night alot. Everybody gives thumbs up. Oh yeah also have two of the largest green christmas balls I could fing hanging from hitch. yes they are lite. Have to take them off when wife goes.

rz14rt

motorgenerator

This is a nice thread and I am glad it was ressurected. I am now inspired to put some Christmas lights on my truck. For power I plan to use a military surplus motorgenerator that is simply a 27 vold dc motor direct coupled to a 115 volt ac alternator. It puts out about 300 watts. I purchased it to use old rusty to power HF communications radios in the field. I have not used it yet but this would be a good test.

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a nice thread and I am glad it was ressurected. I am now inspired to put some Christmas lights on my truck. For power I plan to use a military surplus motorgenerator that is simply a 27 vold dc motor direct coupled to a 115 volt ac alternator. It puts out about 300 watts. I purchased it to use old rusty to power HF communications radios in the field. I have not used it yet but this would be a good test.

How about just rewiring the stands of lights to work right off of the DC voltage instead? A 50 bulb strand of Christmas lights uses 2.5 volt bulbs. All you have to do is cut the strand in to 5 sections of 10 lights and wire the 5 sections in parallel in order to run them off of 24 volts. Used to do this a lot in the mid 80's when I was in high school. Had a hatchback back then with some large windows in the back and in December I would run a bunch of lights around the edges of the rear windows. I would rewire the Christmas lights to run off of 12 volts and plug them in to the lighter outlet for power. Only needed the positive from the lighter though. I would use the screws that held the window trim in place as a source for ground. Used less wire that way. Plus running the lights off of the 24 volt electrical system would be better then using a 24 volt DC to 120 volt AC convertor as you cut out the power lost in the conversion. But this only works if you aren't going to be running a ton of lights. If so then an actual generator might be better.

One item I plan on buying next summer is a DC light controller sold by a company called Light-O-Rama. It can handle something like 5 to 60 volt DC powered lights and can be custom programmed to flash the different lights in any order you want. I think the controller can store up to something like 5,000 commands. Don't know if the lights can be set to music or not as I haven't looked in to that option yet. Would be need if you could.