• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Citrus oil as fuel in 6.2

richter1978

I wondered if anyone knows if citrus oil/ d-limonene works as fuel in a 6.2. I may have a source for some. Can't seem to find much if any info. MSDS that I have compared show similar numbers to #2 diesel, but I don't really know what I'm looking at. Any help would be great.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Is it citrus scented lamp oil (petroleum based) or is it oil made as a by product of making juice from citrus fruit?

To be useful as fuel it has to have BTU value and be capable of being atomized into a flammable state.

richter1978

It is the oil from citrus fruit. The chemical name is d-limonene. It is definately flammable when atomized (hold lighter next to orange peel and squeeze). I didn't see a BTU value on the MSDS, I was comparing vapor pressure, flash point, etc.. Yes it would smell good and yes it would be expensive, but some friends have a hand cleaner business and they have some old stock to get rid of. I will check into BTU value. Thanks

richter1978

I thought about this over Christmas, it seemed way too low. I just reinvestgated and found BTU value of combustion 19470/lb @ 68F. Anyone?

Darwin T

i ran 5 gallons of the citranilla oil in my deuce, but the 45 gallons of diesel is all i smelled. if i had your supply i would mix it until i smelled like a tiki lamp. it will also keep the mosquitos away.