• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

City Hall problems?

Lorax

Howdy all.

Some fellow MV enthusiasts have run into a problem with their city hall, and I’d like to know if anyone here has had a similar problem.

These two guys are brothers, have separate homes a few miles apart, and both have MVs parked at their homes. A couple Deuces, two 5 tons, and a trailer for each. The trucks and trailers are divided between the two locations. Neither location has a home owner’s assoc. Both locations are in a typical, older cul-de-sac type area, with old trees and growth hiding what’s in people’s back yards.

About 1 week ago, they received a friendly letter from their city hall saying that they can’t keep vehicles over 10,000 pounds parked at their private residence. And that they had 8 days to “remove” them.

Now, there may be a state (Virginia) code or a local (Newport News) code covering this, but a group of us (including an ex cop) have been reading the codes, including the codes listed on the letter as being violated, and have found nothing saying a 10,000 pound limit on private property. There are a number of regulations covering commercial vehicles and property, but nothing (yet) found saying a private weight limit.

Has anyone run into a similar problem with state or local authorities?

Rattlehead

Sounds like they need to get an actual (not summary) copy of the code quoted in the letter and read it well. If still nothing found, then bring it to city hall and politely ask them to help them find this requirement.

halftrack

I had similiar problems and had to go to court. They stated all types of codes that I was in violation of and when I challenged them on it in court I won. None of the codes they sighted applied to my situation. I even made them waive the court cost and fees.

papercu

roads

Well I don't know about a " private weight limit." but every road build for city and state use has a weight limit, could that be what they are using to deny parking? Wayne

comdiver

Make sure their are correct! Read a hard copy not just a photo copy. Are motor homes exempt, find out? Years ago, I had a DUKW that the town didn't like. They sent me a notice for an unregistered vehicle. I didn't want to fight them, so for $9 I registered my "boat" for 3 years. Sometimes finding out what the law is and fixing what bothers them works well. A simple cover may make them happy when they find out the law doesn't apply.

jwaller

my neighbors tried this on me. they lost. most likely they are trying to call them commercial vehicles and they are not. thats what they tried with me.

Lorax

The heaviest truck is the 36K pound wrecker, which according to one of the DMV codes is allowed on public roads. All the other trucks are considerably lighter.

Finding out the difference between the MVs and motor homes is one of the searches currently going on. Registration certainly is different. A MH is registered as a RV, whereas these trucks are registered as antiques.

Since most of the codes refer to commercial vehicles, that may be part of the confusion. Someone at city hall may think these guys are running some sort of business out of their homes. Unfortunately, talking to the people at city hall that deal with these codes has not gotten very far. The city hall people don't want to bother with looking up the codes to get a full definition.

FreightTrain

Banned
Yea,I have a feeling I am gonna have the same problem myself soon.They just passed a new BL law here about no "Commercial" vehicles over 22Feet long in residential areas.Waiting for the fight now.For one,I am non-commercial so the law doesn't pertain to me....and 2.Per the specs a deuce is 22 feet and 1/4" long....pull the shackles off teh front and that makes it 21feet 11 and 3/4" long.....1/4" under 22 feet....They really wanna play,I will play!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about owner/operators who park their rigs at their homes at night? Guess the zoning Nazis are going to have a lot of pissed off truckers if they keep this crap up...

Bozor1000

I think that law really refers to commercial vehicles. My buddy used to park his tow truck at home and the made him move it because it was a commercial vehicle (meaning used for business). If your MV is a privately owned vehicle, then there shouldn't be any problem. But if something was going on (where they needed the National Guard), then they could use the roads and park where ever they wanted. Still in that situation, the MV is still not a commercial vehicle. It seems like some neighbors are pissed off. I think that people like that are wrong. If you're a collector, there shouldn't be any gripes about it. Do you start you vehicle and cruise it everyday at 5:00 in the morning. I say screw those people and make your case.

Lorax

For the owner/operator, at least in this area, the following is part of a local code:

"Sec. 45-521. Outside storage.
Outside storage of goods, materials and equipment shall be permitted as a matter of right only in manufacturing zoning districts......For the purpose of this section, and except as specifically provided elsewhere in the zoning chapter, the term "outside storage" shall not include the following:(2) Parking of vehicles and automotive related machinery that are for sale, lease, or business use which may be driven on public streets."

This sounds like parking a commercial vehicle is permitted on private property. These codes seem to be written specifically to be confusing.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is exactly why I have a team of ambulance chasers, er, I mean attorneys on call.

Bozor1000

All codes are confusing. Remember there are always loop holes. The people who own the MV's on this site primarily use them for personal use and not commercial use. I can see if you were using you MV for business purposes, then I think the commercial code should be enforced. But these are people who are hobbyist, like I put on EUC. If it wasn't for these "HOBBYIST", we wouldn't be able to display these vehicles in parades or anything celebration honoring our country's VETERANS, like myself.

No.2Diesel

Warning. Sarcasm...

Lorax: You didn't know the new laws regarding private property?

You are required by law: (cultural & social law)....that you sit in your house after work everyday watching 200+ channels of television, sleep, and repeat this cycle until death. Your property may not be used for any purpose other than watching television within a dwelling. No structure(s) accessory to the dwelling are allowed......This unwritten code of "cow pie" could go on for eternity.

Welcome to the United States of America 8)

Seriously though...."A Freeman's property is absolutely his own." tell those in "authority" to shove it bigtime.
fat lady sings

Mike_Pop

Here in my town, our government thinks that zoning and codes are four letter words. I live in a commercial building right in the center of town and can have a pig farm if I want. I've got three vehicles and nine trailers in my yard. Nobody complains and they all think that I keep my place pretty clean. I even have a 20'x20' area of heaped scrap metal that I use for my sculptures. Nobody even cares.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks