• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

City or in town dwelers help convince non-believers

rwbrown72

Thanks for the info, I also have both my cars under my parents name using their insurance(one of which is a 500hp mustang) and I just pay my parents what I owe them. Without that I wouldn't be able to drive both, so the deuce would be under my parents insurance as well. Which shouldn't be too bad with my dad having a CDL and if I can get it under an RV type plan.
Like Gimp said "You can't afford it RIGHT NOW"....no one is saying you can't EVER afford it. Go to college or a trade school and get a career started. Then you can have 10 trucks if you want. We are all here to encourage MV's and their ownership. You can't afford your other vehicles you own now. You said that. Get your life straight and then buy everything you want. Your just 19! You have time! I would also look for people who own them in your area. Go and help them change the oil. Everyone who has one of these will love the help and then you will get some experience. I bet they would even let you test drive it after helping them maintain and clean it. Just my thoughts.... :grd:

mcmullag

the journey is long and arduous

Agree with RWBrown and Gimpy, etc.
Concentrate now on kissing girls or sumthin, deuces will be around for quite awhile.
Get an education, make some bucks, move out on your own.....
I was always fascinated by these unique trucks and have been a truck nut since embryo stage, but did not get my first deuce until age 47.
There is a big world out there. Don't jam yourself up with longing for a deuce right now grasshopper. Read, learn, play with smaller stuff for now, it will help in the future. 2cents

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thats the smartest thing you have said yet. The force is strong in this one!

ALWAYS keep weighing things out and keep your eyes open. Never know when you'll find someone that needs help maintaining a warehouse and can trade help for "parking space".
:beer:

b money

Thats the smartest thing you have said yet. The force is strong in this one!
:beer:
Haha thanks gimp :beer:

I got one more question though, if you guys didn't need a deuce(like me) I mean didn't live on a farm, have a business that you could use it in, would you still buy one? I mean they look like you could have a freckn blast in one, and I won't even start about the possibility of running it for free(or atleast very cheap) with the multifuel

rwbrown72

Haha thanks gimp :beer:

I got one more question though, if you guys didn't need a deuce(like me) I mean didn't live on a farm, have a business that you could use it in, would you still buy one? I mean they look like you could have a freckn blast in one, and I won't even start about the possibility of running it for free(or atleast very cheap) with the multifuel
I don't think there are very many people on this site that "NEED" a deuce. It seems like most people here love the trucks for what they are. They are something different to each person. I started out by bobbing one and then got a 5 ton. Then came the CUCV. Now I have a second deuce and I'm selling the 5 ton and the CUCV. I am starting to figure out that I like the bobbed deuce because it is neat and different. People are always asking what model of truck it is. They know it is military, but have never seen a 4x4. On the other hand, I just picked up a bone stock deuce from Redstone, AL. I'm going to keep this one stock because I like that too. The 5 ton was too big and the CUCV was too small. (Actually, I think the M1009 and the M101 trailer are the most versatile combination for everyday driving you could have....that is if you could only have one). I have a daily driver other than an MV. Most people on here are probably that way as well. The fuel is secondary to most of us. Convert an old Mercedes for a daily driver if fuel is the main concern. But to answer your question directly: I would buy a deuce or three anytime and twice on Sunday!

b money

It's mainly the fact that there different, I go to car shows all the time and and i'v only seen one deuce, just something about a truck that is built for war and not a piece of chrome on it. don't get me wrong(between me and my dad we have 2 show mustangs, the other is my daily), I like looking at anything with a engine(even better if it's a manual haha) but I love being different. The fuel is a secondary thing for me as well but I'm not about to argue over driving for free

NRG

It's mainly the fact that there different, I go to car shows all the time and and i'v only seen one deuce, just something about a truck that is built for war and not a piece of chrome on it. don't get me wrong(between me and my dad we have 2 show mustangs, the other is my daily), I like looking at anything with a engine(even better if it's a manual haha) but I love being different. The fuel is a secondary thing for me as well but I'm not about to argue over driving for free

Listen to RWbrown72 and Gimpyrobb, they know what they are talking about. Like RWbrown said, find a local person that has one and help them with some maintenance. That alone might change your mind on getting one. The care and maintenance on these trucks are tremendous.

Lets say you do buy one and can afford the fuel, storage, insurance, etc... what do you do if it breaks down on the road? Do you the ability to tow it? Does the tow company have the ability to tow it? After you tow it back to your house ( because most shops don't know anything about these trucks ) then do you have the space and ability to work on it? These trucks eat front tires like candy, is that going to be an issue for you? The truck rattles so much that it loosens nuts and bolts everywhere on the truck, you will need to run through and tighten everything ( I mean EVERYTHING ) up every once in awhile. Repack bearings, fix leaking axles, etc.

What are you going to do with the truck? offroad with it? what happens when you get stuck or bury the truck? You will need a huge tow truck to get you out or another deuce or two if you don't have a winch. A pickup truck simply isn't going to cut it, doesn't matter how big or bad it is. People will love your truck when they can ride in it or use it for hauling but hate it the rest of the time. They will complain about it to the city. Be prepared for that.

I'm not against you getting one, but you need to make an educated mature decision. I have wanted one since I was 16 years old. I finally got one when I was 28 years old ( 29 now ). I didn't know anything about these trucks other than they look awesome and bad to the bone. They are 10 wheel drive and should go anywhere, heck the military uses them so they must be awesome. That was my mentality about these trucks. I thought i could buy one, have the baddest truck around and go offroading or whatever and never have an issue.

Well, i was wrong. They still are awesome trucks, don't get me wrong, but geez lots of work! If you aren't working on something broken then you are working on upgrading them. I bought an extremely clean 1985 M35A2 with very little documented miles. It was an army reserve truck that sat around most of its life. But it still needs tinkering constantly. Know what you are getting into!

Last edited:

L999here

...suggestion for townies...

My duce (1970 Kaiser multi-fuel whistler) resides in front of my ammo shop...in town,parked where the nose sticks out just short of the side-walk. It's a landmark so people can see where the shop is....going 40 mph down the three-lane road. It helps that I'm zoned 'class C commercial'. My suggestion is to do what I did when I bought a '94 Freightliner semi-truck to haul an M172A1 25-ton trailer. Ask a local towing co. or salvage yard if they would let you store it for awhile. They might even let you do so if they can put it up-front on the property as an advertizing tool.

Attachments

Bighurt

Most people forget the expense of registration, insurance and licensing before jumping into MV's. My M35 gives me know discounts on anything...its a big toy, and a big expense.

I have no loan, nor registration and no current insurance, yet the truck still sucks downa few hundred in mx costs. 23 qts of oil and two filters for an oil change, wheel cyclinders, tires, fuel, batteries, fuel lines, brake lines, air filters, brake pads, tranny service...

It all just adds up, and if the truck isn't used its negative cash, saying you have a 6x6 and being able to walk up to it and start the beast are two different things. To top all that off I'm looking at new wheels and 395's....just another cost, and as it draws closer, winch, and paint.

Next year registration drops to a flat $10, and I don't require plates...I can't wait!!!

b money

To tell the truth I didn't even think of All the state fees and other misc stuff. Is this $10 flat thing and no plates a federal thing or state?

Bighurt

To tell the truth I didn't even think of All the state fees and other misc stuff. Is this $10 flat thing and no plates a federal thing or state?
Its a State requirement there are very few actual federal requirements, mostly DOT standards.

In my case the M35 turns 40 next year....:cry:

North Dakota has a Antique plate, only requirement is age, 40 being the mark. As for the no plate that is a subsection of the law that allows Military antique licensed vehicles to utilize the original MP markings as registration numbers. This also eliviates me from having to find a place to mount the front plate.

That helps a little insurance is still a factor, however my age and the non commercial use of the vehicle help considerably.

Don't forget sales tax either...

whyme

i was excited to buy mine, it was so cheap... well it was cheap to buy anyway. hahaha. as for parking, i have options but none are great. the storage lot is best for me at the moment and thats the route i intend to go but there is a commercial property next to my apartment that has been for sale forever and im gonna call and see if i can work out a deal with the owner.

rlwm211

My Doctor told me to get some exercise. Well....I am getting exercise,

You see I work hard on my truck and driving it long distance is far more work than driving any other vehicle I have owned, except another deuce.

I see any and all costs of ownership as being vital for my health, mental and physical.

If I cannot afford to have this truck and keep it right, I will be miserable, and probably dead anyways.,,,,,

"Dance like no one is watching.
Sing like no one is listening.
Love like you've never been hurt and
live like it's heaven on Earth."
Mark Twain

RL

Last edited:

b money

Hmm well I went to the DMV after I got off work and of course the where already closed so I'll check all that out some other time. I do know Illinois has a antique plate for cars or pickups over 25yrs old but I don't have a clue what a m35 would be considered. As for sales tax that's kind of the only thing that I'm not worried about because when I bought my '04(person to person deal) sales tax was only $100. Would anyone mind sharing about how much in upkeep(no mod's) they spend on their deuce in a year? I don't want to affend anyone or get into there business, just trying to find out how much this whole thing would cost. If nobody answers no harm no foul.

rwbrown72

Hmm well I went to the DMV after I got off work and of course the where already closed so I'll check all that out some other time. I do know Illinois has a antique plate for cars or pickups over 25yrs old but I don't have a clue what a m35 would be considered. As for sales tax that's kind of the only thing that I'm not worried about because when I bought my '04(person to person deal) sales tax was only $100. Would anyone mind sharing about how much in upkeep(no mod's) they spend on their deuce in a year? I don't want to affend anyone or get into there business, just trying to find out how much this whole thing would cost. If nobody answers no harm no foul.
Illinois does have antique plates, but I would not go that route. The fine for hauling dog food in the bed would be enough to offset any advantage. You can only drive for shows or public displays or to maintain it. A lot of guys push and bend these rules, but I don't. Just buy the weight plates and be done with it. As far as cost per year, I have no idea. It has to be a couple hundred a month per truck. Like the other guys have said, just an oil change costs some money. I have to change the diff fluids in the new truck. That is a lot of 80-90W.aua

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
bearings are expensive. I don't know the numbers off hand, but a quick search should find it. They are $15-80 each depending on where you get them. That number is X12! Six inner and six outer. Etc, etc.

b money

I didn't relize they had thoughs kind of rules for antique plates, I believe it though. Ah good old Illinois for ya. If it takes a few hundred a month to keep these things going then your right I couldn't afford one. Please tell me you where including fuel, tires and a trip to France. :-D

rlwm211

Fuel vairies depending on which motor you have and how you drive. I get between 6 and 8 MPG depending on the terrain. My deuce has the 5 ton motor and uses a bit more fuel, but the flip side is I do not downshift much and run 52 pretty much all the time on highway.

Tires can be had for anywhere from 50 for used tires mounted on rims to I do not know how much for new ones....

I do an oil change every year with filters. That shoots the crap out of a benjamin.

Figure needing to have a good grease gun, and other lube supplies. It all adds up.

I believe the biggest issue is whether or not you can do your own maintanence and repairs. You have to figure that if you had any other hobby, you would spend about the same number of hours a week in that hobby and if it is a boat, or muscle car, you will probably spend the same on materials per year. The problem with a MV especially a big truck is the labor and finding people to do the work if you do not want to, or cannot do the work.

Competent truck technicians are expensive and hard to come by, especially if they are any good with an MV.

To answer your question with a numeral, I would guess I spent at least $1500 on my deuce this year and at least the same (probably $500 more) last year. This includes fuel and parts. I cannot even guess how many hours I have in the truck. I think you call that sweat equity. I expect that by the end of the "season" this year (which did not end last year when snow came) I will have spent $2000. You dock a boat on a desirable lake or bay somewhere, and pay for gas, insurance, registration and you can spend twice that much in a season.

I can say that I have met some great people, and had some really fun times. That is a good part of why I have a deuce and belong to a local group and go to meets and shows.

Enough babbling for now....You know what to do....

RL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks