• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Civilian Nomenclature and tow bar question

86M10086.2L

Just for verification what is the civilian name for the M1008. Is it a Chevy K30 pickup? Thats usually what I order parts for, but just recently I tried ordering a dual steering stabilizer for my truck, for a 86 K30 pickup and it didn't work, shock stroke was too short. turns out t was anadvertising error by the company and they took it ack even after I painted it, but just to eliminate any problems in the future I wanted to know what civilian model truck I should be ordering parts for. Not all of them can go on 86 chevy 1 ton 4WD.

Also is there anywhere else besides the bidding frenzies of ebay to find a decent medium sized military tow bar setup? I'd like to get one for my truck and I don't mind paying a few dollars for a decent one. But the few I've seen on Ebay go for ludacris prices. maybe its just me.....

mangus580

Sounds like they probably sold you the wrong one.. ie one for a K20. You shouldnt have much trouble when buying parts for a K30..

mangus580

K30, with a modified electrical system, and a 208 tcase instead of the standard 205 (think the K30's all came with the 205)

HeadWizard

K30 is correct. The 208 transfer cases in civilian vehicles only came in the trucks ordered with the heaviest GVW package you could order (don't remember the # of pounds exactly).

As to the towbars, what is considered cheap, fair or expensive?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
$300 is a decent price. Less is better. I have seen them for as much as $500. I would never spend over $350.

Bozor1000

You have to order your parts for a K30. Some of them did come with diesels. Remember you have a Dana 60 front axle. That's why your stabilizer didn't work. They probably gave you one to a 8 lug 10 bolt or 8 lug dana 44. The K20 had a Semi-Floating rear axle (you have clips holding the axles), where with the K30 you have a full-floater rear with the bolts holding the axles in.

Bozor1000

HeadWizard said:
K30 is correct. The 208 transfer cases in civilian vehicles only came in the trucks ordered with the heaviest GVW package you could order (don't remember the # of pounds exactly).

As to the towbars, what is considered cheap, fair or expensive?
The 205 is the better of the transfer cases because its gear driven where as the 208 is chain driven.

AJMBLAZER

Yeah, was going to say the NP208 only came in half tons and 3/4 tons. The higher GVWR 3/4 tons and the 1 tons got the 205.

For the record high GVWR 3/4 tons did come with the 14 Full Floater rear end just like the 1 tons did.

Cdub

86M10086.2L said:
Also is there anywhere else besides the bidding frenzies of ebay to find a decent medium sized military tow bar setup? I'd like to get one for my truck and I don't mind paying a few dollars for a decent one. But the few I've seen on Ebay go for ludacris prices. maybe its just me....

Why don't you convoy out with us to Aberdeen..........??

Just incase you weren't sure.....

K30 is :

K = 4 WD
30 = 1 ton

seya,

C'dub

86M10086.2L

RE: Re: Civilian Nomenclature and tow bar question

when, and where exactly is Aberdeen? I keep hearing about it, but know nothing about it.

so if a K30 is a 4wd 1 ton
than does that make a c30 a 2wd 1 ton?

Cdub

Re: RE: Re: Civilian Nomenclature and tow bar question

86M10086.2L said:
when, and where exactly is Aberdeen? I keep hearing about it, but know nothing about it.

35th Annual East Coast Rally

8th, 9th & 10th of May 2008

8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Daily
(Rain or Shine)

Aberdeen, Maryland

Located at the Ripken Stadium. Just west of I-95 Exit 85.

http://www.wacbgmvt.org/ecr/

We are meeting at :

Vince Lombardi Service Area on the New Jersey Turnpike @ 6:00am

Located between Interchanges 18E/18W
and the George Washington Bridge (13)
Milepost 116E,115.5W
Ridgefield Borough, Bergen County

http://www.eastcoastconvoy.com/index.php?module=Pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=2&pid=8

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....pic&t=18241&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

I hope you can come out to join us for the convoy out to Aberdeen.

86M10086.2L said:
so if a K30 is a 4wd 1 ton
than does that make a c30 a 2wd 1 ton?
Yes you are correct.......

C = 2 WD

10 = 1/2 ton
20 = 3/4 ton
30 = 1 ton

seya,

C'dub

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: Civilian Nomenclature and tow bar question

M1008s and M1028s and M1031s are CD30903s, the civilian model is (c/k) K30903. but they're all K30s.

1956_4x4

You do need to be careful when ordering parts for our CUCVs. For the most part we can go by the K30 designation, but there can be a few snags in the process. I had to order a radiator overflow bottle for my 86 M1031. I went to the local Chevy dealer and ordered one for a 86 K30 (I'm lucky to have a parts guy that actually knows what he's doing... 8) ) The part came in, but it was wrong. We figured they used a different bottle because of the oil sampling piping and bracket. I was able to get the part number off the bottle and it was a GM number, but I think the bottle was listed for a van or something of the sort.

Anything Mil specific on the vehicle can impact other components in the vehicle. If you can get a parts person that can think outside their little box when ordering parts, the battle is half over. Finding someone that can figure out how to get parts when the parameter in a field on a computer does not apply can be a task in itself.

Smitty

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks