• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

civilianize my 1008

Obijuank5

This may be considered ban worthy, but id like to add some chrome to the 1008. Truck will stay carc 383 for the most part.
In particular I want to do a core support swap with the stacked dual headlights. Grille surround with the chrome trim and add the gold bowtie with keeping the cucv grille. Additionally drip rails with chrome mirrors and maybe some wheel well trim. I will also add clearance lights whether I do the rest or not.

Has anyone else felt so compelled to shame a cucv with chrome? and did it come out as good as I hope it would?
I am not a proclaimed MV purist by any means but I do love and respect my chevrolets.

Thanks for any help!

Obijuank5

Exactly. what I'm wondering is why has it seemingly not been done. To me it's no different than adding an overdrive or nice seats.
Seems like a cucv gets kept mostly stock.

I can only find one photo of a 1008 with a civvy grille. I'd like to see what it might look like.

cpf240

If you are worried about what others think about it, post in the hot-rodding / modding portion of the CUCV forum.

In any case, your truck, do what you want with it.

86m1028

Matt
Can't believe you joined !
Chrome !!! Really ???
Put that chrome on your blazer ...
Post up some pics of that m1008

machinist75

I live down the road from ray and am building a cucv suburban clone and it has the dual headlight setup. Your more than welcome to come over and swap with me.

Obijuank5

Hey ray. I figured you'd be here. You know I love my trim. Also, I'm pretty sure we've sold parts to each other for your burb. Lol small world. I'd love to swap but texas is an awfully large small world. I got some local trucks to pick from. Thank you though.

I got a good deal on this one out of new braunfels.
Very rusty but it runs AND drives. Little higher up on the list than my usual purchase criteria.

View attachment 632948

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A thousand.pieces of chrome is a hundred times better than stacks. I've seen some FD CUCVs with quite a bit of bling. Go for it.

Drock

IMG_20151003_094308.jpgChrome don't get yah home!:tank: Agree with an earlier post, it's your truck do what you want. But I think most of us would agree these trucks are all about "anti-bling". The thing I like the most about my camo M1028 is I don't have to worry about scratches, door dings, or even washing it! The fact that these trucks are devoid of chrome is what makes them unique from all other square body chev's. And that uniqueness is why I have lots of parking lot/gas pump conversations with guy's drooling over my truck.:drool:

Obijuank5

Yeah but flat black wont get ya back.

This is nothing that GM didnt offer. Its not like its 20x12s and slash cut 55 gallon drums for stacks. Don't worry, I have my bro-dozer dodge for that. If it doesnt work for the truck, I always have a can of paint.
I understand why we like these trucks as they are. I just like em a little different than some. And that is CLEARLY stated here at SS lol

20160705_203639_zps3t1wrkmr.jpg

Had a feeling I'd see you here ray. Also, I think the machinist and I have sold parts to each other. It is a small world thats for sure, but texas is an awfully large small world. Id love to tak you up on the parts but I've got some local trucks to pick from. Thanks though.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not my style but it's your truck.

Do what you like and want.

It's always interesting to see how they turn out.

Barrman

Do you have the needed parts yet? I am switching a chrome 1987 Suburban double stack headlight valence over to a CUCV single light set up. I think we could use some part swapping here. I already have all of my stuff off the truck even.