• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CJ-4 Motor Oil

oldshep

I am running Shell Rotella 15-40 CJ-4 oil in my duece right now. Will this cause any long term damage? If so what is the best thing avalible to run? Thanks for the feedback!

Will

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: CJ-4 Motor Oil

DriverSideImpact1008 said:
CJ rated oil is the current rating...it should be good for everything older than current diesels. No damage should result.
:ditto: It will be fine.

OD_Coyote

WillWagner is far more knowledgable on diesel engines than I am, but I am still going to use an additive in my old diesels until CJ-4 has been OTR for awhile. Up until a few months ago I was still able to buy CI-4, but now it is scarce as hen's teeth in my area. It may cost me a little extra dough, but I will sleep better using an additive even if it does not help. Of course if someone out there has LDT465. 12V 6BT or Caterpillar DD4400 diesel that have been run 3 - 4k hours on the CJ-4 without any wear related failures I would forget about going with an additive.

1956_4x4

I've been running the CJ spec oil in all of my fire trucks. Prior to use I checked with the engine manufacturers to be sure this "new" oil would work well in their systems and was assured it would work fine.

I would do some research prior to dumping any type of cam lube in the lubrication system. Many of these products were designed to use during the installation of a new cam and work well for this purpose. The downside to many of these products can be clogged oil filters, a bad thing for someone that wanted to "improve" their lubrication system. Check to see when the first oil/filter change is recommended when using this type of product.

Smitty

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All that changed was the additive package, the sulfer content and the additive that creates the suspension of the combustion process so it won't go out the tailpipe and into the DPF. That's what the Valvoline people told us when the oil was introduced.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks