• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clansman gear, anybody running this stuff and is there any interoperability with the US stuff?

teletech

My 5080 arrived, powered with a bench supply as suggested (top pin is ground, bottom positive).
Radio seemed to come on and respond to keyboard commands, so hooked up a headset and dummy load, and dug out a scanner, which was able to capture a little spill out of the load and verify basic xmit function. So, yay. It was supposed to work and it did. Now I need mounting hardware, a real power cable, and to test it with the Clansman vehicle harness. My ARFAT and TUUAM should arrive later this week, but I suspect I'll need additional cables to make that stuff work.
Thinking on it, it doesn't *seem* that long since my test, but as I get older time does seem to speed up, so I'd better make sure my license is still valid before I dump power into anything other than my dummy load!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 5080 arrived, powered with a bench supply as suggested (top pin is ground, bottom positive).
Radio seemed to come on and respond to keyboard commands, so hooked up a headset and dummy load, and dug out a scanner, which was able to capture a little spill out of the load and verify basic xmit function. So, yay. It was supposed to work and it did. Now I need mounting hardware, a real power cable, and to test it with the Clansman vehicle harness. My ARFAT and TUUAM should arrive later this week, but I suspect I'll need additional cables to make that stuff work.
Thinking on it, it doesn't *seem* that long since my test, but as I get older time does seem to speed up, so I'd better make sure my license is still valid before I dump power into anything other than my dummy load!
I don't think the ARFAT is necessary with the 5080.
If you have some documentation that says otherwise I would love to have it as information on the TUAAM is hard to come by.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it would be interesting to play with one. I suspect emailing some of the usual vendors of such things might turn up a couple now that you have a part number and description.
I don't know, the example had a serial number of 4, might be rather rare.

teletech

I don't think the ARFAT is necessary with the 5080.
If you have some documentation that says otherwise I would love to have it as information on the TUAAM is hard to come by.
I just thought of it as a drop-in replacement for the 353.
I do see in it's manual (linked in this thread) Chapter 1, line 8, General introduction, that it will control a bcc543 TUAAM.
There are several other references to that tuner in the manual as well, so it's not a one-off.
So, without more info I'll assume it automagically works?
As to the ARFAT, I don't see anything, so I don't know more without more digging.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also if anyone knows where the mounting bases can be found, I need two.
I am considering just bolting the case to the radio shelf, all solid state shock mounts should not be needed, certainly would make it difficult to steal.

teletech

Also if anyone knows where the mounting bases can be found, I need two.
I am considering just bolting the case to the radio shelf, all solid state shock mounts should not be needed, certainly would make it difficult to steal.
I just bought a pile of 353 bases hoping they might be compatible and if they aren't I'm prepared to make adapter feet so that they are!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is some of the information passed on to me on my VRM5080 group, I have two comprehensive manual (I hope, over 800 pages) coming from England.

"The ATU connector pinout is
A CLOCK
B SILENT
C 24V ATU
D FMD (Frequency / Mode Data)
E 0V
F PTT3
G FE (I think this is a word sync for the serial data)
The full manual is a bit too long to retype here but the following is a summary hopefully not so detailed as to raise any "fair usage" complaints.

The VRM5080 supports two ATUs the BCC543 and BCC587B. The 543 has a bandpass characteristic and is tuned in two stages - first into an internal dummy load (silent tune) and then into the antenna (similar to the Clansman TUUAM). The 587 is a band switched fixed unit that simply selects the band based on frequency data from the radio (more like the old voltage-operated AMU for the TRA-967 family). BCC543 Silent tune is triggered by the channel change but tuning into the antenna requires pressil operation and enough time to complete the process.

When using the BCC543 once the channel is changed the radio powers up the AAMTU, - and operates the "SILENT" control which selects the dummy load - the ATU then uses its PTT line to key the radio which is forced to 10W output regardless of panel settings - once keyed the BCC543 has 22 seconds to tune or give up. On completion of tuning the ATU releases its PTT. It is notable that the manual just doesn't mention frequency data for this AAMTU - it isn't clear whether the radio sends frequency data or the AAMTU uses it in this case. Logically as an SWR-driven tuner it shouldn't need frequency data unless to pre-tune.
A subsequent operation of the Pressel by an operator causes the radio to be keyed -initailly on medium power, the ATU to be powered and the antenna selected. Again there is a 22 second window to tune or give up. The ATU uses its PTT line to signal success to the radio - low during tuning changes to high when complete. On success the radio will then switch to the panel selected power level and enable side tone and the "T" in digit 9 of the display. The manual warns that there is no operator indication of tuning failure. Although presence of sidetone and a T in the 9th display character should only occur after completion of the tuning cycle this can occur under high VSWR conditions despite tuning failure.""

Pressel is British for PTT, it looks like he is saying once a channel has been selected you hit the PTT and it takes over and hldt the PTT at low power until the tuner has finished.

teletech

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is strange how the 5080 is treated like a step child, it was not even given the VRC designation and I see no reference in any Clansman documentation.

teletech

It is strange how the 5080 is treated like a step child, it was not even given the VRC designation and I see no reference in any Clansman documentation.
I wonder if they were busy looking forward to Bowman by then? It does seem like a far better radio that the 353, at least it's solid-state.
Don't get me wrong, I love me some tubes and don't plan to change my 10EE over, but in a military vehicle going off-road and subject to impacts, solid-state please.
Though, I guess tubes might help in a EMP situation?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if they were busy looking forward to Bowman by then? It does seem like a far better radio that the 353, at least it's solid-state.
Don't get me wrong, I love me some tubes and don't plan to change my 10EE over, but in a military vehicle going off-road and subject to impacts, solid-state please.
Though, I guess tubes might help in a EMP situation?
Not likely, there is enough solid state stuff in just about any modern radio to make it susceptible to an EMP event.
I have two IC-706MKIIG radios wrapped in tin foil placed in ammo cans with steel mesh around the gasket surface, placed inside a gun safe.
That radio covers just about any frequency one would need and the second one is in case there is a second attack.
Truth be told I have great doubts about the projected effectiveness of an EMP attack, but,,,,,,,
EDIT, I also have a large amount of semi conductor devices filling a third ammo can.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I planned to simply make adapters from the headset connector to a US style headset. I think I'm also going to make a interface cable to the VIC-1 as well so I can also use loudspeakers.

FWIW, I'm also working on a battery pack that will be LiPO. It will be a tad larger than the original. But it will also have double the capacity. I'll also take my 3D model and make a dummy battery "plate" to interface the power in to use vehicle power.

teletech

I planned to simply make adapters from the headset connector to a US style headset. I think I'm also going to make a interface cable to the VIC-1 as well so I can also use loudspeakers.

FWIW, I'm also working on a battery pack that will be LiPO. It will be a tad larger than the original. But it will also have double the capacity. I'll also take my 3D model and make a dummy battery "plate" to interface the power in to use vehicle power.
I know there is a lot of the left ear is for monitor, the right ear is for IC sort of stuff in the Clansman system so making decisions about how to implement some of that might take some head-scratching. I'm also curious about using ANR headsets since those use external power for the microphones and such. I'm sure you'll get it worked out, I just decided to be lazy and go all Clansman at this point (even with the pain of shipping).

Indeed, lots of good battery stuff out there and the COTS solutions are improving daily. With any luck I've bought my last Pb-HCl.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little off subject but about batteries, I scored a nearly complete AN/PRC-47 including transit case, very few pieces are missing.
I am wondering if anyone has info on the batteries, that and the backpack frames and a couple other small pieces are all I need to make a complete set.
And the transceiver has been converted to LSB! YAY!

teletech

I ordered a pile of additional Clansman gear, it's a mixed-bag for sure.
Ordered a cable tester, received a radio test-set. It's an interesting hulk of a thing.
Ordered 10x as-is ANR headsets, got 1 ANR(that doesn't work) and 9 non-ANR (some work, some don't).
It would be great to have the pinout of the 7-pin headset plug, as well as any info on troubleshooting ANR headsets.
My 2X ARFAT and 2x TUAAM made it as ordered, but my pressels didn't :-(
The 353 mounting brackets arrived OK, but they don't fit the 5080 set. They will provide most of the parts to make some "correct"-looking brackets at least, so it's not all a loss.

teletech

How did the 353 mounts work out???
The front feet on the mounts are a pretty good match, but that's about the only thing that is. I unbolted the rails from the plate, now I'll make a new plate, new back feet, and then mount the new feet and plate to the rails so I con mount the radio. I get front mounts that look the business, but it's a lot of work for what it is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks