• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Class E in GA still a viable option?

Derk

So essentially what y'all are saying is one way or the other I should not let this keep me from getting one and using it as I stated. As there are multiple ways to make it happen. Interesting, I had wrote this all off a couple years ago because of the response I got back from a company who sells these. Looks like now that I'm closer to finally getting a truck this is back on the menu. Thank you all for the information and hopefully Monday when I get off I'll remember to call the DMV and ask about the class E license and see what they say. At this point I belive this is the cheapest and most legit option in GA to go with. If that doesn't work I guess I need to pick another route and dig deeper.

Again thank you. More to come.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But as I said, most states will not let you purchase a vehicle out of state and not register it where you live/pay taxes. So be sure to research. In Texas, any Utah plate would have to come off within 30 days of purchase and the vehicle registered in Texas
Technically that is almost always the case. BUT in REALITY there's usually very little interest (in my experience zero) on the part of law enforcement to hassle the Veteran driving an Army truck. Our group is largely made up of upper-middle-class white guys with concealed handgun licenses and no criminal record. Often Veterans or ties to military contractors, etc. Keep it clean, make sure all your equipment is working. Law enforcement is not going to profile you as a public threat or a revenue stream so most times you'll either go unnoticed or get a thumbs up from them.

Guruman

Not so new member
Technically that is almost always the case. BUT in REALITY there's usually very little interest (in my experience zero) on the part of law enforcement to hassle the Veteran driving an Army truck. Our group is largely made up of upper-middle-class white guys with concealed handgun licenses and no criminal record. Often Veterans or ties to military contractors, etc. Keep it clean, make sure all your equipment is working. Law enforcement is not going to profile you as a public threat or a revenue stream so most times you'll either go unnoticed or get a thumbs up from them.
It's also worth noting that "you" do not own it, the LLC does. And the LLC resides out-of-state. So the laws requiring personal vehicles to be registered within 30 days of residing there do not really apply. What can be an issue however is insurance. Our vehicles can be hard enough insure, but adding the fact that it'll be used in one state, but registered in another might become an issue.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It's also worth noting that "you" do not own it, the LLC does. And the LLC resides out-of-state. So the laws requiring personal vehicles to be registered within 30 days of residing there do not really apply. What can be an issue however is insurance. Our vehicles can be hard enough insure, but adding the fact that it'll be used in one state, but registered in another might become an issue.
You need a DOT medical card then cause it is a commercial vehicle over 10k lbs. Good luck with that medical card if you don't have the covid Vax.

People have been driving deuces and 5tons in Georgia for years. Most don't have a CDL. Some have the E since it is just a written test not a driving test

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My insurance has never asked for a registration or a plate number. They just want the make, model, and VIN and in my case since they were unable to look up a value for it they gave it a stated value policy based on what I paid for the truck. But I have a very unusual business insurance policy through a company that doesn't insure individuals. They insure my personal vehicles as a courtesy only because I'm a business owner with a HUGE policy with them that's $10,000 a year.

Derk

@patracy @Gunnermac @clinto @swiss @sandcobra164 are all members from GA with years of big truck experience who would be the best authority on this
That's one reason I wanna go the class E route. Don't need a medical (I'd pass just don't wanna have to keep up with that stuff for what I'm using thr truck for) and no need to do the driving portion. I also haven't dived into the insurance portion but I suppose I need to do that as well. Anyone use USAA or is this more of a specialty insurance? Being that the yearly milage would be less than a 2500 miles a year I can't imagine it's too much but maybe I'm kidding myself. Either way that's for a different day and wanna keep the topic on licensing.

I may message them directly or if they respond I'd love to hear their take on things being in GA.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That's one reason I wanna go the class E route. Don't need a medical (I'd pass just don't wanna have to keep up with that stuff for what I'm using thr truck for) and no need to do the driving portion. I also haven't dived into the insurance portion but I suppose I need to do that as well. Anyone use USAA or is this more of a specialty insurance? Being that the yearly milage would be less than a 2500 miles a year I can't imagine it's too much but maybe I'm kidding myself. Either way that's for a different day and wanna keep the topic on licensing.

I may message them directly or if they respond I'd love to hear their take on things being in GA.
USAA will not insure it.

Commercial progressive will.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@patracy @Gunnermac @clinto @swiss @sandcobra164 are all members from GA with years of big truck experience who would be the best authority on this
Unless something has changed class E and F are options. They might give you some grief about testing for it. But when I explained it was for military vehicles and nothing else and certainly not commercial they allowed me to test for it.

It was just the written portion of the cdl test. No driving test.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Derk

Unless something has changed class E and F are options. They might give you some grief about testing for it. But when I explained it was for military vehicles and nothing else and certainly not commercial they allowed me to test for it.

It was just the written portion of the cdl test. No driving test.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Grief? In what context? They didn't wanna let you test for it? The way it's worded like I said above a few post it seemed as if it was only allowed for the few categories. My worry was even if I got it I thought if I was pulled over they'd say "idk how you got a class E that doesn't cover you, you're not military, an emergency vehicle, or a farmer". You ever had any run in with the cops for anything and they said anything of the sorts?

Third From Texas

Correct.

It's why I brought up the LLC aspect. If your out-of-state company owns the vehicle, it would be licensed/registered in that state (not your home state).

But otherwise, the law is pretty clear in most states. For private vehicles you're required by law to get it inspected/registered/plated in your home state within 30 days to continue operating the vehicle. There may be states that don't require that, but I'm not familiar with any. As GeneralDisorder said, it may not be enforced....but it's how the law is structured (and as a tax revenue, states like to see that income)..

I went thru this with my sand car and Baja pre-runner about six years ago. Texas suddenly decided that they could no longer be driven on-road. Louisiana (where my LLC was formed) says otherwise. They are plated and insured thru my LLC.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Grief? In what context? They didn't wanna let you test for it? The way it's worded like I said above a few post it seemed as if it was only allowed for the few categories. My worry was even if I got it I thought if I was pulled over they'd say "idk how you got a class E that doesn't cover you, you're not military, an emergency vehicle, or a farmer". You ever had any run in with the cops for anything and they said anything of the sorts?
They didn't want to allow me to take the test because I wasn't a firefighter. It's been a few years now, but as I recall the whole class E/F tier was created more for the volunteer firefighters to drive trucks. Basically I've had the endorsement for a decade at least now. So I don't recall the exact specifics, but I do recall the DMV rep questioning me on why I needed the license and how I wasn't a firefighter. I recall though that as soon as I mentioned it was for military vehicles and just for parades and such, the tone changed and they were fine with me testing.

Nope, never had any sort of run in with any cops. Heck, I've never even been pulled over in a MV. The closest I've had any sort of issue with a "cop" was going onto base at Redstone in one of my trucks to pick up a trailer. The MP wanted to flag me on in without me checking in and getting a pass. I kinda got defensive and said I'm not going in until you check me in, this is a privately owned truck. I think he wasn't a real MP but a security officer to be honest. But I didn't want to be found on base without a pass. Course Dad said I should have gone on in and then called the base commander and informed him how you'd like to meet him and discuss security.

Derk

They didn't want to allow me to take the test because I wasn't a firefighter. It's been a few years now, but as I recall the whole class E/F tier was created more for the volunteer firefighters to drive trucks. Basically I've had the endorsement for a decade at least now. So I don't recall the exact specifics, but I do recall the DMV rep questioning me on why I needed the license and how I wasn't a firefighter. I recall though that as soon as I mentioned it was for military vehicles and just for parades and such, the tone changed and they were fine with me testing.

Nope, never had any sort of run in with any cops. Heck, I've never even been pulled over in a MV. The closest I've had any sort of issue with a "cop" was going onto base at Redstone in one of my trucks to pick up a trailer. The MP wanted to flag me on in without me checking in and getting a pass. I kinda got defensive and said I'm not going in until you check me in, this is a privately owned truck. I think he wasn't a real MP but a security officer to be honest. But I didn't want to be found on base without a pass. Course Dad said I should have gone on in and then called the base commander and informed him how you'd like to meet him and discuss security.
That's my suspicion, and from what you're saying it sort of confirms it in my eyes. I belive the class E is for active military personally but maybe I'm mistaken. I'll call the DMV tomorrow and see what they say. Again though I don't see needing a CDL regardless because it isn't commercial use.

Derk

Anyone know the best entitiy to contact? While the DMV may be my best bet to get answers to the class E question but is their a DOT type office I could call in the state of GA to discuss CDL requirements or the lack of needing one if I have them all the information of the truck and my scenario?

sandcobra164

I have an M923 registered locally and insured by State Farm on a Commercial policy. I also have a class "C" driver's license. I don't haul for profit although I may pick up something on occasion from the local auction yard for a friend. My insurance covers towing and what I tow behind my truck and I've been upfront with my insurance agent. I've never provided any medical documentation to anyone involved in the process. I think I'd pass though, I'm a still serving Warrant Officer in the Georgia National Guard and get checked annually. Your mileage may vary.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need a DOT medical card then cause it is a commercial vehicle over 10k lbs. Good luck with that medical card if you don't have the covid Vax.
I don't have the jab, and I renewed my DOT and FAA 2nd class medicals in February.

To the OP, and the CDL question. As you have found in this thread, you will get a different answer from every one you talk to. What I did is consider the potential risk I may be exposed to in the event of an accident. I have a military tractor M915 and M373 trailer. They are both registered historic. If I get in an accident and there is a serious injury, I could be found liable for operating a commercial vehicle (GCVW of over 26K lbs) without the proper license. In the eyes of the law, that's what it is.

I decided it would be best to get a class A CDL, so I have one thing less to worry about. I'm not going to argue if you need a CDL or not, and I don't care what anyone else does. All I'm doing here is explaining what I did and why.

Derk

I don't have the jab, and I renewed my DOT and FAA 2nd class medicals in February.

To the OP, and the CDL question. As you have found in this thread, you will get a different answer from every one you talk to. What I did is consider the potential risk I may be exposed to in the event of an accident. I have a military tractor M915 and M373 trailer. They are both registered historic. If I get in an accident and there is a serious injury, I could be found liable for operating a commercial vehicle (GCVW of over 26K lbs) without the proper license. In the eyes of the law, that's what it is.

I decided it would be best to get a class A CDL, so I have one thing less to worry about. I'm not going to argue if you need a CDL or not, and I don't care what anyone else does. All I'm doing here is explaining what I did and why.
Appreciate the no bs attitude. It is what it is and if I'm going to do this may just have to go that route.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Appreciate the no bs attitude. It is what it is and if I'm going to do this may just have to go that route.
Then only issue with a class A cdl now is that you HAVE to go to school for it since February of this year. You may call GA and check as well since their class E may require that driver entrance training. I forgot the FMSCA changed the CDL laws this year

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's my suspicion, and from what you're saying it sort of confirms it in my eyes. I belive the class E is for active military personally but maybe I'm mistaken. I'll call the DMV tomorrow and see what they say. Again though I don't see needing a CDL regardless because it isn't commercial use.
Well, you can always say you need it to drive military vehicles and simply leave it at that. You're not lying.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks