• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Classifieds update, prune window 30 days of inactivity

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In order to keep the classifieds cleaner, we're decreasing the amount of time untended classifieds are posted. Prior to this, once a week we were pruning any ads (for sale or wanted) after 60 days of inactivity. We are now moving to a 30 day window of inactivity. To those whom keep their ads up, this will have no impact. Just remember to "bump" them once a month if you want to make sure it stays up.

Thanks!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One one the reasons for this change is the fact that many members fail to manage their ads.

This will help us(moderators) spend less time managing them.

Artisan

Unless I am unaware of an easier way to find all of ones ads easier....
....baring the ALL MY STUFF FOR SALE IN ONE AD shotgun approach
which is kinda ok but harder for buyers to search for things I would suggest....

Is there an easier way to find all of one's ads other than the Advanced
Search function? That is not "so" hard but it is not fun nor as easy as it could
be, which in and of itself could promote more usage. Searching
for my ads in "CLASSIFIEDS", using the "Search in Forum(s):" function is not
user friendly. I would suggest alphabetizing the "Search in Forum(s):"
scrolling list or maybe jut put CLASSIFIEDS at the top.

I would be happy to ALPHABETIZE that list for you in a PM if you please
end of next week. Hmm, I wonder is ClipMate alphabetizes?

PS, ClipMate software is INCREDIBLE. It is COPY PASTE function on
major steroids. I highly recommend it, it makes a guy VERY fast...
Once you learn it you will never be w/o it ever again.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
However one decides my manage their ads is their prerogative. Going under the classifieds section and doing an advanced search for threads started by them is one way. Clicking on their profile to view threads started by them is another. Another way would be to subscribe to their threads started and going into their profile and viewing subscribed threads. (Probably the easiest way)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think this also would be a good time for everybody to refresh themselves with the classifieds rules. This goes for new members and old ones alike.

I have given out several warnings for rule violations and have heard excuses like "I didn't know" or "I forgot".

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another tidbit of advice that will help members and moderators (save time too) is to NOT post when you've been drinking. This is called PUI, and is a violation of the rules. You know who you are.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another tidbit of advice that will help members and moderators (save time too) is to NOT post when you've been drinking. This is called PUI, and is a violation of the rules. You know who you are.

Elvis' dog posting again?

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought it was called D&P.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is when your BAC is over .08%

PUI, is under .08%

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is good information. You can get test strips that will detect BAC below 0.02%. If someone is really concerned, they can get a digital breathalyzer for precise detection of when they are over the limit!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steel Soldiers Strategic Investigations Division will be tatically entering members homes suspected of PUI and installing breathilizer interlocks on their computers.

Alexsha

The easiest way to manage your classified posts is to learn to use subscription folders. When you make a new thread you're automatically subscribed to it.

1) Go to Subscriptions ( http://www.steelsoldiers.com/subscription.php )
2) Click "Edit Folders" ( http://www.steelsoldiers.com/subscription.php?do=editfolders )
3) Add a new folder. I'd name it "Classifieds"
4) Go back to Subscriptions and check off your classified posts.
5) At the bottom, click "Selected Threads", then click "Go" in the popup (It's already set to move to folder)
6) Select your classifieds folder and click "Move Items"

Now you have a quick and easy way to see all your classifieds threads. If/When those posts are trimmed, they'll be removed from the folder automatically.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The easiest way to manage your classified posts is to learn to use subscription folders. When you make a new thread you're automatically subscribed to it.

1) Go to Subscriptions ( http://www.steelsoldiers.com/subscription.php )
2) Click "Edit Folders" ( http://www.steelsoldiers.com/subscription.php?do=editfolders )
3) Add a new folder. I'd name it "Classifieds"
4) Go back to Subscriptions and check off your classified posts.
5) At the bottom, click "Selected Threads", then click "Go" in the popup (It's already set to move to folder)
6) Select your classifieds folder and click "Move Items"

Now you have a quick and easy way to see all your classifieds threads. If/When those posts are trimmed, they'll be removed from the folder automatically.

Thanks for a the tip on a very easy way to do this! I knew there had to be a better way and this sure feels like it! [thumbzup]

shenkmen

Steel Soldiers Strategic Investigations Division will be tatically entering members homes suspected of PUI and installing breathilizer interlocks on their computers.
That was the previous group. A new task force has been formed.

Steel Soldiers Technical Undercover Post Investigation and Detection Automatic System Security aka S.S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S has been assigned this task and many others.

Last edited by a moderator:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The good thing about the seller being the ONLY one that can post in a for sale thread is that HE/SHE HAS to keep there threads alive, used to be that anybody could/would post a ? ect. on a 90 day old, long gone add so now the add turned into a never ending add.

I think ALL adds should be AUTO dumped no later then 60 days, NO MATTER if it is active or not, let the seller or wanter post a new add which is not a big deal to do, this would KEEP people from bumping just before the deadline, preventing the run on adds. You WILL get complaints about the inconvenience of posting a new add/adds BUT better the poster then the MODS that have more things to do then babysit adults and there for sale/wanted adds.

shenkmen

That was the previous group. A new task force has been formed.

Steel Soldiers Technical Undercover Post Investigation and Detection Automatic System Security aka S.S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S has been assigned this task and many others.
Perhaps this group should be combined with the Modification and Finalization Responder Services aka M.F.R.S.

Thoughts?

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is going to be about 80% of the membership posting after 8:00pm (5:00pm on the east coast)!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks