• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clean motor oil as fuel?

bz28

Where I work, we have an abundance of clean motor oil that just sits around and will never be used. It is synthetic 0W-20 weight oil. It's brand new in sealed containers, never used.

I'm assuming since waste motor oil can be used, that clean motor oil can be used. But could it be a problem that it's synthetic and/or a low viscocity?

I've got ~20 gallons of diesel in my tank right now, and was thinking of adding 5 gallons or so of this oil.

Also, does adding motor oil produce a large amount of black smoke, or just a little, or any at all? I don't want to attract too much attention from the wrong people than the truck already does.

Pinz25086

I have been running used motor oil at about 30% and once it is warmed up, I cant tell the difference in the smoke. When its cold, it does smoke more. I cant help you with the synthetic question but I have wondered if it would work myself. I have a line a few hundred gallons of used synthetic but haven't taken it yet. If no one else chimes in, post your results of your test. I would assume that it will be fine but we all know what assuming can do...

Wayne

Jake0147

New oil is fine. The weight doesn't matter, just so long as you don't get carried away with the gear lube to where it won't pass through the filters. Whoops. Synthetic oil is really not all that different from conventional oil. It'll burn just nicely. I'm guessing that this might vary among trucks, but my truck actually smokes less with engine oil, gear oil, tranny oil concoctions than it does with regular on-road diesel.

bz28

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to dump a few gallons in probably tomorrow when I go to get some more diesel. I have to pick up a few tons of landscaping stone this weekend, so I hope it works.

Pawnshop

I have burned fresh MO in my Deuce, but not enough of it to notice any change in performance. If it were me I would do it, 50/50 mix with diesel should do fine, and because it is fresh that means no filtering! Diesel around here is $2.15 a gal so I have not wanted to mess with filtering WMO to burn in the Deuce, but if I had a supply of fresh MO I would be all over it!!!!

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
New synthetic oil should be great for your IP due to its friction lowering properties. As to BTU output, I can find no data comparing it to #2 or WMO. Tomorrow i will try to find an MSDS on Mobil 1 and then one on Rotella and compare flash points. More to follow!!!

GoHot229

Running heavy on the oil side , whats the concequence? In other words a good mixture probably should contain at least 50-50 oil diesel, or so I'm thinking....will running 75-80% oil have adverse affects? or make starting harder the higher the concentration of oil to diesel? What if your aproaching entirely UMO?

GoHot229

This morning I figured I'd go out and start the Deuce. Well the tank was empty, but not ran until dry but sputtering off and on before I shut it off, and the last couple minuates of course used to cool the turbo as I always do, and while doing that, it was at low idle on flat ground ideling with no sputtering, in other words It hadn't sucked the tank completly dry. So having 5 gallons of WMO, I put that in the tank. Mind you it had been setting for two and a half months without starting it up. Well cranking with the WMO, it wouldnt pop, my guess the pickup wasn't submerged mabe ? not really sure, so I went over to my brothers 18 wheeler and stole about 3 gallons and added that to the tank. Still not picking it up 'I think' or not good enough. So I pour a ounce or two of gas down the intake pipe and hit a shot of ether, Voom....die, repeated it again, voom, stumble stumble ....into smooth idle. I didn't notice any smoke, possably a scoush of blue for just a second or two then clear as usual. Had to wiggle from inside the engine compartment the the throtle rod with the spring and dash cable and the idle went back to low where it usually runs at start-up, probably hit it with a good washing and hit the bits with spray lithium grease and WD 40 for good measure. But it started and ran fine as always once the pick-up was sucking just fuel and no air. So I'm going to be getting ready for the Uwharrie meet in a couple three weeks and doing my little toutch-ups on the paint and such. Looking forward to getting to see some of you clowns in person and having a grand time. So.... till then......

Big CASE

I have dun this for years , I am dad did it for over 40+ years . if you are going to use oil in a diesel you can only mix about 30% oil to fuel . I have ran ATF, 15/40w, safe 30w... gear oil is about 20% to 1 .. and I mean if you have 100G you can use 30G of oil .. do not us in cold cold heater you will have to drop the mix rate down to like 10-15% .. and the oil you are going to put the motor MUST be CLEAN ! no trash in it . there will be not differences on the motor running or power. you will just save $ on fuel ..

JTugwell

I have dun this for years , I am dad did it for over 40+ years . if you are going to use oil in a diesel you can only mix about 30% oil to fuel . I have ran ATF, 15/40w, safe 30w... gear oil is about 20% to 1 .. and I mean if you have 100G you can use 30G of oil .. do not us in cold cold heater you will have to drop the mix rate down to like 10-15% .. and the oil you are going to put the motor MUST be CLEAN ! no trash in it . there will be not differences on the motor running or power. you will just save $ on fuel ..

what is the best method of filtering the used oil? i have a friend that owns a mechanics shop. he said i could have all the used oil i want. they used to just throw all the used oil in a drum mixed together (syn oil, conv oil, tranny fluid, gear oil) i told him if he could separate just the motor oil i would take it. but does it matter if they are all mixed together?

frodobaggins

what is the best method of filtering the used oil? i have a friend that owns a mechanics shop. he said i could have all the used oil i want. they used to just throw all the used oil in a drum mixed together (syn oil, conv oil, tranny fluid, gear oil) i told him if he could separate just the motor oil i would take it. but does it matter if they are all mixed together?
Nope. Just make sure it's all some kind of oil, like no antifreeze, etc.

avengeusa

one word......centrifuge, i make em

Pawnshop

I have run 75% WMO with 25% regular gasoline in my Deuce, filtered through a 5 micron sock filter, and it worked fine with no filter issues, I had to use some hand throttle to bring the idle up to 800, but otherwise no noticeable difference from on road diesel.

A centrifuge will get the WMO very clean and be less hassle than my method, but also more expensive.

Big CASE

I would get a pump for oil- fuel and put a in line filter on it . just to keep out metal ,water, trash, ext.. that is what I do . you can go to SAM's and buy a pump for less than $100 the go to NAPA and buy a in line filter kit for the hose that go's to the pump.
then you need to get ( 2 ) 55g drums put all of the unfiltered oil's in one then run it thew the filters and put in in the next 55g drum. that way when you want to fill the truck you know it is good too go ..*** just remember at this is for Diesel and multi -fuel motors ONLY **** if you do this to a GAS motor did will not like it , Or it will DIE ****

Last edited:

bz28

Well I put 10 gallons of the new oil in it, and topped the rest of the tank off with diesel. Took her for a spin and didn't notice any difference, no smoke either. When the tank runs down a little more, I'm going to top off with more oil. Spending $66 to top off the tank with 25 gal of diesel made me mad :evil:. I've never owned anything with a tank larger than 16 gallons before.

Are there any potential longterm issues I should be concerned about for burning oil? Does the oil as fuel cause any excessive buildup on the valves or anything like that?

Westech

CPL
you guys really know that what is called synthetic oil is not really synthetic at all. All it is, is regular motor oil that has been "filtered' to insure the smallest molecules (hope I spelled that right) are used for a consistent size. Yes it protects more due to your using a pea size and not a bowling ball. True synthetic oil is used in jet engines and such where it is almost never changed due to it does not brake down. I have 1 quart of Jet Engine Turbine oil and it is true synthetic oi, it more looks like mineral oil then anything else. So when you dudes think can i run this stuff in a engine.. well yes its the same ting as "regular oil". And that's the rest of the story... goooOD DAY!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks