• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cleaned M1078A1 Power Distribution Panel (PDP)

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
@GeneralDisorder and @Ronmar both shared solid suggestions to clean our PDP and update the circuit breakers and relays.

IMG_2895.jpeg

IMG_2896.jpeg

We found a mix of their suggestions and other sources to clean and replace our aging electrical bits and pieces. We used compressed air, a small paint brush, and a micro fiber cloth; then DetoxIt to prepare the connections.

IMG_2931.jpeg

Then we replaced all the critical circuit breakers and relays while reusing some of the older relays in slots we expect to either not require or may need in the future.

IMG_2933.jpeg

This 'placeholder' circuit breaker is interesting.

IMG_2932.jpeg

After doing this I wonder if using standard ATO blade fuses rather than waterproof circuit breakers would have been better? I can look to see if an ATO blade is bad, how do I know if one of these is bad?

All in all we are happy with the results, hopefully they will last another 20 years. Next is to figure out why the ABS dash warning light came on once we replaced the battery disconnect relay—

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mmmm Purty…

you will need a voltmeter to see if they are passing voltage:)
I prefer to use an incandescent test light (scope on a rope) and a power source. This proves they can carry amps not just pass continuity.

Everyone that's inclined to troubleshoot and repair their own vehicle should have a test light (and a DVOM) and know the basics on how to use them.

I quite like these and keep one in each vehicle:

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mmmm Purty…

you will need a voltmeter to see if they are passing voltage:)
I have one, though I should have followed your advice and just gotten common ATO blade fuses. These weren't expensive, though will certainly be more time consuming to check—

Last edited:

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I prefer to use an incandescent test light (scope on a rope) and a power source. This proves they can carry amps not just pass continuity.

Everyone that's inclined to troubleshoot and repair their own vehicle should have a test light (and a DVOM) and know the basics on how to use them.

I quite like these and keep one in each vehicle:

I have a test light in my bag, too. One from NAPA though that Hella unit looks well built—

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea there is a couple ways to fry the fish. Loading the circuit is definitely a good thing to be able to do….
I've run across an alarming number of relays over the years with burnt contacts that would pass a cursory voltmeter check but wouldn't carry any load. And plenty of circuits where 12v or 24v was present on a DVOM but when load is applied the voltage goes away due to corrosion somewhere in the circuit, etc.

The concern I would have with auto-resetting circuit breakers is they are only good for so many trips before it affects their blow curve and they could stop carrying their rated load without nuisance tripping, etc. On the other hand you have no chance of resetting a blown fuse so...... I would carry spares of each size and also fuses as backups.

These are useful if you are inclined to test circuit amperage draw:

Ronmar

I've run across an alarming number of relays over the years with burnt contacts that would pass a cursory voltmeter check but wouldn't carry any load. And plenty of circuits where 12v or 24v was present on a DVOM but when load is applied the voltage goes away due to corrosion somewhere in the circuit, etc.

The concern I would have with auto-resetting circuit breakers is they are only good for so many trips before it affects their blow curve and they could stop carrying their rated load without nuisance tripping, etc. On the other hand you have no chance of resetting a blown fuse so...... I would carry spares of each size and also fuses as backups.

These are useful if you are inclined to test circuit amperage draw:

Exactly, voltage isn’t good until tested under load. I feel the same way about CBs in automotive applications. Prefer fuses, but the CBs can be handy when chasing a intermittent overload issue. I kept the best in each size from my panel when I started going thru it and installed fuses…

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks