• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cleaning and priming day

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like progress. When do you think it will be road ready?

Last edited:

m38inmaine

I like the attention to detail, masking off the wires-hoses-lines, makes the end product look so much better. I always take the extra time to mask all the rubber seals, wires, etc. Great job!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a very nice job! I noticed from the pictures you might have eschewed the top when you got the truck. Was it ruined? How will you eventually replace the top?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Very nice Bjorn :beer: I would have expected nothing less ftom you.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OPCOM said:
.......... I noticed from the pictures you might have eschewed the top when you got the truck. Was it ruined? How will you eventually replace the top?
Verb; eschew - avoid and stay away from deliberately; stay clear of

Hmm.....you mean the top is missing? Yes it had a homebuilt job attached when I purchased it and probably a good thing, since it protected the cab very nicely. It was removed as shown below.
A new canvas one, with original frames will be made, at least a bikini style, since I simply love the openess provided by it.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andy, the "cleaning" involves the use of carpenter's wood chilsels for the layers of mud/oil, several wire brushes, scrubbing with soap and water, rinsing with garden hose and the use of a brake cleaner degreaser.
By priming with Rustoleum as I go along, the task is not so hopeless as progress is highly visible.
The torque rods are aluminum and will take a different primer, zink chromate.

I don't have a pressure washer availble at the moment, but it would probably help speed things up.

Interesting note: Cavities that may get filled with water are foam filled from factory....

SierraHotel

Cranetruck,
If you don’t want the beacons from the top, I’ll take haul them away for you/ ‘Course with gas prices today, round trip to Meadows of Dan might be as much as buying them outright… :shock:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry SH, the man in the image had been hired to haul everything off to the scrapper. He spent about 5 months hauling everything from engines still in cans to burned out deuces and he got my top as well. It's long gone.
He has a Grove crane on the hook here.... :cry:

Attachments

OSO

That job you are doing should get all of us motivated ! [thumbzup] Need a few more days like yours up in the northwest, for us shopless or cover less open air garage people. OSO

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, my primary motivation here is to make it work, functional, there is hardly a better way to learn about your beast, than to clean it. I keep finding valves, manifolds and things I never noticed when scanning the manuals. The "bogie manifold" cluster shown above was noting but a ball of clay (the light was poor when I started digging it out, so there is no "before" picture).
I also found a torque rod with a torn bushing under all the red Oklahoma dirt I brought back along with the truck. This torque rod will have to be replaced.