• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cleaning Dirt From Interior of Instrument Panel

collinsprinkles

I pulled out the instrument panel to replace the tach cable and found some really dirty cables. What would you use to clean them? I don't want to use something too harsh. What do you use in general to clean the parts on your deuce?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's an oldie, but a goodie...

Soap and water

TMNT

The back side of my instrument cluster was covered in a thick layer of dirt, dust, and mud dauber nests. A spray bottle of anything was just going to make mud. I worried about the soap and water option, given that the gauges aren't sealed. I didn't want the soapy water inside them.

I used a bowl about half filled with denatured alcohol and a clean medium paint brush. Paint brushes make great cleaning brushes and I have several of all sizes just for that purpose. The alcohol is a good solvent, it evaporates quickly, and it won't harm most electronics, plastics, or leave residue. You do have to be cautious with certain interior paints, inks, decals, and lettering, as it may remove or smear them.

I clean greasy parts, like bearings, with a large plastic bowl, a big paint brush, and mineral spirits. Works great. (Poor man's parts washer!)

collinsprinkles

The back side of my instrument cluster was covered in a thick layer of dirt, dust, and mud dauber nests. A spray bottle of anything was just going to make mud. I worried about the soap and water option, given that the gauges aren't sealed. I didn't want the soapy water inside them.

I used a bowl about half filled with denatured alcohol and a clean medium paint brush. Paint brushes make great cleaning brushes and I have several of all sizes just for that purpose. The alcohol is a good solvent, it evaporates quickly, and it won't harm most electronics, plastics, or leave residue. You do have to be cautious with certain interior paints, inks, decals, and lettering, as it may remove or smear them.

I clean greasy parts, like bearings, with a large plastic bowl, a big paint brush, and mineral spirits. Works great. (Poor man's parts washer!)
Thanks! I'll try that. Do you know if acetone is more harsh than denatured alcohol?

TMNT

Very good point! Denatured alcohol is ok? I have quite a bit of it.
Just be careful of any decals or lettering. The alcohol will remove ink and glue. Use a soft brush to do the cleaning work. I use compressed air with a blow gun to blow it dry.

Just one thought about using compressed air. You never know what is in the dust on these trucks. I wouldn't blast the dry dust with compressed air and risk breathing in some bad stuff that might be there. Wash the dust/dirt away with liquid and a soft brush (wet) until it is basically clean and then hit it with air.

The white vinegar (acid) and water solution would probably be effective as well, but I would be more concerned about getting water into something that doesn't like water.

TMNT

Yeah you won't hurt anything with denatured alcohol unless you put a spark to it.
Definitely worth noting. Denatured alcohol is very flammable, so don't smoke or get it near a flame. Also, make sure any energized circuits are completely dead so there is no chance of a spark.

salmonmutt

Sprayway glass cleaner. US Government uses it per my active duty brother. Not volatile and available anywhere. Best glass cleaner (and other) available! Use it on whatever. My wiring is still good after 10 years ( and other things). Or old school soap and H2o like mentioned. As long as is isn't Zylol :cool::grd:aua

3dAngus

Why bother?

It's not that much trouble to take it apart, marking all wires, wire brush the panel with the gauges out, then paint.

It's a heck of a lot better then cleaning, and will do a much better job. After you do that, you can paint the truck to match.:D

Just kidding about the latter part. The removal, wire brushing and painting and reinstall can all be done in a day, but it is even better to give the new panel a full 24 hours to dry.

On the cables, I just wipe them with dishsoap and water, then armour all cleaner wipes, then wipe with armour all towels. Both are available at walmart.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks