• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cleaning flywheel of MEP genset

Crawdaddy

What would be a good way to clean rust off the flywheel of a MEP-003 genset without disassembling the generator from the engine? I'm having trouble seeing the timing marks on the flywheel to retime the set when I put the injection pump back on. About the only way I can think to do it would to insert something through the inspection hole for timing the set. It seems that sandpaper would clean the flywheel, but distort the timing marks.

Keith_J

Marks should be engraved in the flywheel. Slowly rotate to show the engravings, then hit them with a paint marker for visibility. Do not remove the flywheel as this disrupts timing, then you must pull the head to measure exact top center.

Crawdaddy

Excellent thought storeman! Now, what process might I use to remove the rust? Perhaps a fine-grit sandpaper won't hurt anything since the engravings are pretty deep. Steel wool maybe?

jbk

i have had the same problem,but the groove is cut deep so use a small flashlight. i was able to slowly rotate engine with 3/8 rachet and still observe flywheel. when you locate the marks mark them with a brite paint or marker, white worked good for me.

Crawdaddy

I do plan to paint them once I locate all the marks. It took at least 15 minutes of searching spinning the flywheel around several times just to find one hint of a mark, with no indication of where in the scale that mark was. I'm assuming it was top dead center judging from the position of the valves.

jbk

you should see port closing mark and A and B on the flywheel. the A and B marks are your concern. A will show up just after the pc mark(thats the one with the scale) and B will show 180 degrees from A. watch your valves as soon as they close. are you aware of the firing order on the 003? 1243. i guess if you still cant find these marks get somone to spin the engine while holding somthing through the inspection hole to clean the flywheel, small wire brush, sand paper watch your fingers. you dont have to worry about damaging these marks because their deep. theirs a deep groove cut just below or to the side(going by memory) the A and B mark, so if you dont see any letters watch for this wide cut groove. the letters are not as deeply cut as the groove below. i couldnt see one of the letters (filled with rust) but saw the wide groove just below.

Last edited:

storeman

I didn't realize you were searching for marks when I posted. Just thought you had a thing about rust on your flywheel. A technique I use is to paint the 180 out position on the starter side (reverse of the flywheel) once I've located the marks. Makes it easier to confirm I'm where I thought I was. Brass brush or stainless brush (small) will clean up the marks you need to see on the front for timing and adjusting valves. Once found and brush cleaned put white paint on a rag, rub the marks, then wipe off the excess. I would also spray paint the timer indicator area before removing the pointer for better access so you can replace it exactly as it was positioned.
Jerry

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks