• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cleaning old gauges

JEB

I'm a MV newcomer, and have started work on a 1955 M38A1. It doesn't have a authentic hood number, so I'm having it refinished as an Air Force example in Strata Blue.

I finally sourced the two period correct (as listed in the 1956 parts manual...not later "MS" units) gauges I needed and found a shop to replace the broken Speedo face plastic.

Out of the five gauges, only one (the 0-120 oil pressure gauge) will be new.
A used water temp unit was given to me by a fellow local MV newcomer who has a box of various spares.So I've experienced fellow MV owner generosity already.

So that means the others need to be cleaned...faces as well as cans/bodies (The clear plastic openings that allow the dash lights to illuminate the face).

A couple seem to have slight paint overspray, or it could be just 60+ years of accumulated "crud"...(I think that's the technical term).

So, Windex? Solvents? Soapy Water? Paste wax?
And yes, I know enough not to immerse them or put them in the dishwasher.

Thanks,
John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks