• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cleaning out transfer case with diesel ?

seano11

So fill it with diesel go around the block a time or 2 then drain it and refill with oil but would I have to drain again or would it be ok with the little bit of diesel in it

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not so sure I'd run it with the diesel in there. Maybe wait on somebody to comment that knows more about the t-case than I do.

plym49

If I ran it at all, it would be under no load (drive shafts disconnected) and only for a minute or two at idle rpm for some splash. I would not want anything to get hot nor a bearing surface gall.

Why do you think it necessary to flush it out? Not really a sludge-producing component.

seano11

had just read somewhere on here of someone doing it to theres and thought I might try it just to clean things out but then I got to thinking about all the bearings and such so I fig i'd ask to see what everyone else thought

m139h2otruck

Did the fuel oil flush on the water truck due to the fact that the original oil looked and acted like asphalt when we drained it. Had to pry a hole in the tar on the bottom to get it to flow. Sprags also were sticking and causing much noise and shock to the truck due to the old oil. Just added about a gallon and a half plus some 30wt ND oil and ATF. Drove it about a quarter of a mile empty. Drained the mix, refilled with 80-90 oil from TSC or Sams Club, ran it for a short time (two months or so) and then drained and refilled again. Oil is still black, but no problems since.

jatonka

The old timer, like Ace Tomato, used to drain gear oil, fill with kerosene, run it around for an hour or so, drain it and refill with gear oil, it was supposed to clean the sticky or lazy sprag unit up. Ace told me to do it but don't leave the kerosene in it too long. I never have done it as of yet. He didn't say to use diesel. JT

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would, get the transfer up to op temp this will help the diesel clean, then dump the gear oil, fuel with diesel, run down the road real easy, come back, dump the diesel, refill with gear oil

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks