• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cleaning up an M416

joshs1ofakindxj

I got my Maine trailer plate for my M416 today. Since I only had a bill of sale for my M416 and no other proof of ownership, I couldn't title and register it in PA without paying a $300 or so re-titling fee at a certified inspection station. I was able to register my trailer online in Maine for $50 for 5 years. What a awesome set up.

harleyhouse

I got my Maine trailer plate for my M416 today. Since I only had a bill of sale for my M416 and no other proof of ownership, I couldn't title and register it in PA without paying a $300 or so re-titling fee at a certified inspection station. I was able to register my trailer online in Maine for $50 for 5 years. What a awesome set up.
I was watching the news last night and Pennsylvania wants to raise the DMV fees and gas tax to raise money for the crappy roads and bridges needing repair.

Nothing like waiting until everything needs repaired to start.
We already pay too much for registration.

joshs1ofakindxj

I was watching the news last night and Pennsylvania wants to raise the DMV fees and gas tax to raise money for the crappy roads and bridges needing repair.

Nothing like waiting until everything needs repaired to start.
We already pay too much for registration.
Typical reactionary politics.

PA better be careful or I'm going to flee here like I fled NY state after seeing the cost of living there.

plym49

OK, how did you do it? I am on the Maine DMV site and it looks like a two-year registration for a trailer, and you need to be starting with a Maine registration. Please disclose the secret handshake. :)

Amer-team

Yes you were right about the tie downs. They are on the trailer with the data plate and it is dated 1966. The other trailer does not have the tie downs and no data plate, but I would guess that it is about the same date. The guy I got them from, got them from a logger that used them for everything including hauling logs, from the looks of the tub.

Rainman

By far the majority of M416's I've seen and owned have shown delivery dates in 66 and 67. Last thing I'd do is replace a military harness for a cheap China civi harness. I use Barge or Master's rubber cement and a small brush to lay some cement where your harness is fraying at the connectors etc. If the wire seems weak you can wrap the area with thread like the eyelet on a fishing rod. Strengthens and seals, stays pliable, and protects from shorts and moisture. Nice or NOS pigtails can be had at shows or online auctions for $25. Don't know if I've ever seen a Marine trailer without the tell-tail tie down loops at the corners. That's not a real common Bubba mod on Army 416's. :wink:
Rainman

joshs1ofakindxj

By far the majority of M416's I've seen and owned have shown delivery dates in 66 and 67. Last thing I'd do is replace a military harness for a cheap China civi harness. I use Barge or Master's rubber cement and a small brush to lay some cement where your harness is fraying at the connectors etc. If the wire seems weak you can wrap the area with thread like the eyelet on a fishing rod. Strengthens and seals, stays pliable, and protects from shorts and moisture. Nice or NOS pigtails can be had at shows or online auctions for $25. Don't know if I've ever seen a Marine trailer without the tell-tail tie down loops at the corners. That's not a real common Bubba mod on Army 416's. :wink:
Rainman
I wouldn't argue, but my trailer will be used with my Jeep Cherokee also.

shepsjeep

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This photo was taken Memorial weekend 2011. I did a complete nut and bolt resto on the M416 last winter. The M715 was finished earlier last year.

Attachments

Lex_Ordo

This photo was taken Memorial weekend 2011. I did a complete nut and bolt resto on the M416 last winter. The M715 was finished earlier last year.

Great job! I'm really looking forward to Sussex and Aberdeen this year. Now that my truck and trailer are finished, I can spend more time at the shows admiring all the hardwork put into the restorations.

We must save these 1/4 ton trailers.

Lex_Ordo

My tarp came with the trailer.

The CDN trailers were for the most part un-issued, and sat around depot storage yards in Canada, until they were surplused. They sort of suffered the same fate as the M14 rifle program, in that they were procured and saw some service, but since the trailers, like the M14 rifle, were cancelled so early in their life, most never saw any service and were virtually New, Old Stock when they were surplused

I bought my trailer from an importer in Colorado. The trailer came with the tarp, still sealed in the factory plastic wrap.
I have since purchased another from a Military Parts guy in Canada, but they are available ( at least they were a few years ago ), from the manufacturer which is GMA Cover Corp.

Here is the website, and a picture of the inside of the tarp with the NSN number.
http://www.gmacover.com/install_flash.html

It seems that GMA's site has some issues. Better to call, and give them the info.

GMA Cover Corp.
2440 20th St.
Port Huron, MI 48060
Telephone (810) 966-8916

Attachments

Last edited: