• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cleaver Brooks Amphibious DUKW Trailer Restoration

RDUKW

Well the Trailer showed up at my friends shop last Friday morning. With all the dirt in it we had to use his 10k forklift. We picked up and set it on to my trailer and now the fun begins. This morning myself and one of my guys started shoveling all the dirt and trash out of the bottom. We came across one critter that climbed in and never made it out all that was left was a skull and teeth. The way the trailer was designed was the bow, double floor and a small area aft were set up as flotation tanks in case of rolling it over in the surf. Most of the floor is shot and I am cutting it out to get the rest of the dirt out to get the trailer preserved. After studying it I will probably replace the whole bottom, inner frame and the sides to the rub rail with new steel. Everything is fairly basic as far as shape and structure. I also found someone with one that is original and unrestored about 3 hours from me so I can make templates and drawings for the parts I am missing which is nice. The owner of that one claimed that there is only 11 of these trailers in existence. I will post pictures of the project as I progress.

Ryan

jasonjc

Cool I'm glad it made it too it's new home.

So is yours #11 or #12??

Keep us up to date with the pic's so we can:drool::drool::drool:

:beer:

RDUKW

Cool I'm glad it made it too it's new home.

So is yours #11 or #12??

Keep us up to date with the pic's so we can:drool::drool::drool:

:beer:
I am not sure but I may have become #12. From the research I have done I have only found 4 so who knows how accurate his info is.

Ryan

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You've got yourself a S W E E T and U N I Q U E project there !

BTW: Since you've started a new thread, you might leave a breadcrumb (link) over in the old one so that its subscribers won't be lost in the transfer.... I looked, but cannot recall the thread title of the old one.
You wouldn't want to lose your established audience (aka: Groupies)

Thanks,
John

Atomic

The headquarters for CB is about 25 miles from where I'm sitting. Would it be beneficial for me to pop by and ask if they might have the old plans laying around? It would be no bother in the least. My company has a small group of people onsite all the time. Just let me know and I'll se what I can come up with.

Russ

RDUKW

The headquarters for CB is about 25 miles from where I'm sitting. Would it be beneficial for me to pop by and ask if they might have the old plans laying around? It would be no bother in the least. My company has a small group of people onsite all the time. Just let me know and I'll se what I can come up with.

Russ

That would be absolutely aw sum if you had the time. Any info I can get will be a great help.

Ryan

Atomic

I'll make the call in the morning to get the ball rolling and on Thursday I'll drive down. They may not have anything but if they have a copy in the archives that they would let me copy I'll send them your way. Might even make a copy for myself for no good reason. :beer:

RDUKW

I'll make the call in the morning to get the ball rolling and on Thursday I'll drive down. They may not have anything but if they have a copy in the archives that they would let me copy I'll send them your way. Might even make a copy for myself for no good reason. :beer:
Thanks Russ I really appreciate the help!

Ryan

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This trailer is interesting but can you imagine actually using it? Coming towards shore, the front axle hits ground and the DUKW slows while it claws away to pull up on the shoreline. Meanwhile the trailer is still afloat and swings around and smacks the duck in the stern corner. This would be much worse in surf.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks