• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cleaver Brooks Amphibious DUKW Trailer Restoration

RDUKW

This trailer is interesting but can you imagine actually using it? Coming towards shore, the front axle hits ground and the DUKW slows while it claws away to pull up on the shoreline. Meanwhile the trailer is still afloat and swings around and smacks the duck in the stern corner. This would be much worse in surf.

If you look at most of the old pictures online they show exactly what you described. The later ones actually have a quick disconnect tongue so when it passes you up in the surf you pull a line that goes to the tongue and it releases the lunet ring from the trailer.

Ryan

RDUKW

I'm so glad that you have the PESOs and Patience to rebuild this rare beast. There were so few made, and even fewer remaining....
Good Job. Keep the pics coming!
I am not sure I have any of those at this point. But I do think I may have a few screws loose up in my head:doh:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
What was the original purpose of these trailers? I don't think I've ever seen a vintage picture of one in action...............

RDUKW

What was the original purpose of these trailers? I don't think I've ever seen a vintage picture of one in action...............

From what I have seen they were used for hauling ammo and supplies ashore. They had a cover over the cargo bay to seal them up due to no pumps on board. By the sounds of it they never did work very well and most of them are sitting on the bottom of the ocean.

Ryan

hwcurtice

From what I have seen they were used for hauling ammo and supplies ashore. They had a cover over the cargo bay to seal them up due to no pumps on board. By the sounds of it they never did work very well and most of them are sitting on the bottom of the ocean.

Ryan
And most likely a puddle of ore, by now... Considering the rust out on the one you have...

Once more, for those that came in late, how many were built? And you figure this is which one of those?

RDUKW

lucky dog you!@!! more pics!!! glad you got it!!! i need a prop:grin:

Thanks Jeff, Were you trying to tease me about thta pump the other day on the G. I have a prop but I was planing on keeping it as a spare for my two DUKW's Let me think on that one for a bit.

Ryan

RDUKW

I'll make the call in the morning to get the ball rolling and on Thursday I'll drive down. They may not have anything but if they have a copy in the archives that they would let me copy I'll send them your way. Might even make a copy for myself for no good reason. :beer:
Russ did you get a chance to sneak by Cleaver Brooks? I am going to try to get a friend to go do some measuring of of one of these trailers a few hours from here. There used to be a bunch of great photos online and now they just disappeared so I have nothing to make sketches off of for him to fill in the blanksaua.

Ryan

tamangel

was this trailer used/manufactured during the overall period of DUKW production years and all models ( sorry don't know the correct terms for the vertical and slanted windshield models-is there a term?)

Mike

pic from the CCKW.org site

Attachments

Last edited:

andyindy

There was a dukw trailer at Branson, Mo., a few years back. It was part of the Duck tours there, it was setting in
a borrow area up on the side of the hill or moutain, along with some other derelict mv's. This was the land part
of the ride and then went to the lake. Probably still there. It was also said their shop was capable of manufacturing
any body panels or any thing else needed to maintain their fleet of Dukws. Andy.......

RDUKW

was this trailer used/manufactured during the overall period of DUKW production years and all models ( sorry don't know the correct terms for the vertical and slanted windshield models-is there a term?)

Mike

That is interesting. That trailer seems to have the DUKW combat rims instead of the duals. Every picture including war pictures have had the duals off of a CCKW.

Ryan

RDUKW

Mike

From what I can tell there was two versions. The early ones had round wheel wells and did not survive well due to no bumper rail, no break away system and assorted other problems. The trailers seem to match the DUKW production period but they only made 500 trailers and 21,147 DUKW's. There was only one model of DUKW-353 but the did evolve over the years. The straight up and down wind sheild was the very early ones and not many where made that way (I believe 250-500).

Ryan

paulfarber

Google Rex Ward.. he's big in DUKWs in the UK. He may have parts, pictures or even know of one.

WOW, that is the proverbial hens tooth. Good job on saving it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks