• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clicking in fuel tank

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hear a clicking sound when my air compressor is pumping up the air tanks. Its just a resonance of the air lines. Soon as it builds up the air and shuts off, the sound stops. Could your be a similar cause? My truck is a M35A2 by the way. What is your truck?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Probably the fuel return. Is your tank low? How is it running? A loud return could indicate a clogged injector. Or it could just be loud.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had an M923A2 that made a mechanical noise in the tank like that. It was the fuel return flow. I do not hear that on my M936A2 though but I just got it and the tanks are still quite full. I also do not here it on my A1 truck but that is a different animal.

PowerstrokeNC

Mine has a clinking sound which is the float moving when the fuel sloshes, can only hear it with the truck off/shortly after driving it and as the fuel stops moving so does the sound....

fpchief

This is absolutely related to the engine. Goes faster and slower with rpm. Some smoke at idle on hot engine. Other than that it runs perfect.

plode

My truck does the same thing. I haven't listened to see if it changes with RPM. I have some smoke at idle as well. Sometimes it goes away and doesn't smoke at all at idle, sometimes it does it the entire time. Runs perfectly, and no excessive smoke when driving it.

No oil or coolant contamination or loss...so I'm fairly certain it's fuel related.

Last edited:

fpchief

I just changed oil yesterday. Had zero smoke at idle until then. Just don't get it. That return line is most likely the culprit. Can feel it clicking.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you recently lost your watch?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
May have a check valve in the return system, 250 Cummins are equipped with one. Start running some Diesel Kleen in the fuel. The stuff works well on these fuel systems.

fpchief

I have ran power service in it for part of trip from picking it up. Probably 400 miles. I know i don't like it and don't like the smoking at idle either. Why would oil change make it smoke????

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Maybe only partially clogged. That's the only thing I can think of. You can pm Vintageiron he is good with those engines. I am better with the 8.3.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I would start by changing both fuel filters and running some injector cleaner thru. With a full tank that it. When the tank is near empty you can always hear the return. Some people recommend ATF trans fluid. I use marvel mystery oil.