• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Closed topic - "Savannah to Atlanta 3x - $2,400" (

amarr

Hello all!
I never imagined my first post on here would be about anything other than my first MV purchase of a deuce :D. I've been browsing Steel Soldiers for about a year now, and I love it! Anywho, I have a proposition for anyone interested.

I'm setting up a bio-diesel co-op in Atlanta, but to make it work I'm going to need reliable transport once a year from Savannah to Atlanta for 39 metric tons of oil. That's about 86,000 lbs or three trips with a 5-ton truck and trailer. What I have to offer in return is 825 gallons of bio-diesel at less than $1.60 per gallon. The bio-diesel would come in three 275 gallon containers with skids for easy loading and unloading. I've done several spread sheets on the proposition, and I think plenty of people would be up for the job, but I'm posting on here to see if anyone is actually interested in doing this. My best guess is that the first shipment would be in about 6-months.

Please note that the $1.60 per gallon is well below my production costs, but you would be required to pay about $1,300 for the fuel, and dedicate about 54 hours of your life per year to the cause. Basically you have to drive about 1,600 miles, work 54 hours, pay me $1,300 and you get 825 gallons of bio-diesel. At today's lowest price in Georgia ($4.51/gallon) that's worth about $3,720. I don't want anyone jumping into this without considering all the variables. I've figured about 8 hours for loading and unloading per shipment, and about 5 hours for the drive (google says 4 hours 19 minutes, but @ 55 mph :). As far as I'm concerned it still works out to be a great deal for someone, but it's no get rich quick scheme :D.

This is not a for-profit venture. I will be creating a co-op for off-roaders and MV enthusiasts with 35 or fewer members. At this time it's all but impossible to make money off of bio-diesel, but co-ops can save themselves money if setup properly.

If you've ever considered standing outside with a sign that says "will work for diesel" so you can have more fun with your MV then please e-mail me and let me know you're interested. Have a great day!

Best regards,
amarr

amarr @ gatech . edu (delete spaces)

amarr

RE: Savannah to Atlanta 3x - $2,400 (yes there

Mike,
Yeah Vertigro is a cool system for growing algae. Right now the real money question is how best to harvest the algae. Algae based bio-diesel also has problems with gelling that needs to be solved. Quite honestly though I believe it's a matter of when, not if for bio-fuels. Prices at the pump probably won't go down, but our debt will go down, and our economy will improve.

On an unrelated note:

Ron Paul for PRESIDENT!!! We can always write him in!

amarr

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial

I am totally out of the area, so this is not a possibility for me. However two issues stick out to me as things that would be problem areas if I was. First I am estimating it would take about 215-250 gallons to make those runs. Would that fuel be provided by the co-op or would that be expected to be provided by the person driving it? Secondly would the co-op be providing insurance coverage for the trip? Most of us have non-commercial insurance, and if there were a spill there would HUGE liability issues.

I have done a similar trip myself, so I know some of the issues involved.

amarr

Ethan,
The individual driver would be responsible for the fuel and insurance coverage. However, after the first trip up the driver could get a 275 gallon batch for the remaining miles (which would be part of the 825). I'm afraid what I've offered is the best I can do as I've had professional estimates anywhere from $717 to $1,200 with an average of $797. Even though payment is in kind it's essentially the same thing as fronting the money for the co-op, so I could pay a professional $800 each trip or I can pay a MV driver $800 each trip. You make a very excellent point though, again something everyone should consider before signing up. If no one is interested then it may well be that the professional option is the best choice. Just wanted to give everyone the option to take a look at the offer. Thank you very much for your insights and consideration.

Best regards,
amarr

Alredneck

Banned

THeres a fine line here you runnin our private trucks as a commercial venture can present problems. Then also how do we know your fuel is worth anything what standards is it held to? Not trying to be mean heck I run some of the nastiest stuff in my deuce but others on here dont. Who's paying permits for hauling large amounts of fuel that is hazmat? It seems you want us to take on all liabilties and you the reward. I would think there would need to be more answers about the whos, whats, whens, and wheres.

M1075

If you can get a licensed carrier to haul it for $800 per trip, you should take that deal and run. Keep in mind it would only be 2 trips in a commerical rig to haul the 86,000. Better fuel mileage too.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial

If the driver has to use his own fuel to make those runs then the title should be changed to be about $2020 as the fuel to run your pickup is all cost to the driver not profit reducing the potential profit by about $400. The supposed profit of course all hinges on the high cost of diesel which I suspect is unsustainable. For me at least it would not be worth it between the actual pay(profit)-per-hour, and the liability issue along with the other issues raised. I would suggest getting a professional carrier to do this.

royt1998

It also comes to my att you will have to have a CDL with X end for that kind of shippment

amarr

Hey guys,
Considering I got this reply, "It seems you want us to take on all liabilties and you the reward." I think it's probably best to stick with professional shipping. Vegetable oil is not hazmat... here's the hazmat list:

http://www.myregs.com/dotrspa/goto.asp?ref=CFR49_B_I_C_172_B_101_AppappA&shopos=no

Not sure what the requirement would be for bringing back the 825 gallons of bio-diesel, but I doubt it's significant considering the containers it would be shipped in and the fact that bio-diesel is non-toxic. Yes, I know the ingredients are very caustic, but not the final product.

The standard of the bio-diesel is an important question to ask. I helped to establish a bio-diesel enterprise in the U.K. as in European standards (EN 14214). EN 14214 is probably the toughest standard on the planet. That standard is almost impossible to reach without using rapeseed oil (something Europe is blessed with), but I can come close. That project was 10 million liters per year.

I wasn't trying to screw anyone, just offer someone the chance. Quite frankly I still believe it's a good offer considering I'm taking just as much of a risk by going private. Take away 215 gallons of diesel, and charge $0.50 per mile for vehicle upkeep and someone is still making $20/hour. Now I'm not familiar with what insurance would cost, but if it's between $270 and $540 it's still $10/hour to $15/hour, which may be chump change to you guys, but after reading a lot of posts about terrible diesel prices I figured some people may appreciate getting paid $10 to $15/hour to drive their MV. I was very upfront about this whole thing, I believe I said something like, "I don't want anyone jumping into this without considering all the variables."

Considering I'm not making money off of this I think it's a stretch to say, "It seems you want us to take on all liabilties and you the reward." All in all this turned out to be a very unfortunate first post. I'll stick to questions about m35's and rallies from now on. Sorry to disappoint guys, I thought the (yes there's a catch!) part of the title was enough of a warning. This was not meant to be a misleading post, and I think it would be a stretch to label it so. Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,
amarr

jwaller

pm me as I may be interested in your deal. If I dont do it with my 5T I have an Kw that can and will.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial

I am sorry if you are put off by some of the responses you got. The public ones raised some good concerns I thought. Like you were saying you wanted to be upfront with the deal. I am sure for the right person with the right truck this might be a good deal. It certainly would be an interesting challenge.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

This is an interesting thread and I hope someone has fun with it and makes a few bucks in the process. Would the deal be sweeter if there was no charge to the driver and less fuel in return? I know I have not driven my MV since I brought my M818 up from Baton Rouge but the fuel costs were staggering. I saw some truckers with well over a thousand dollars on the pump and it was still running faster than Jim Thorpe.

amarr

I believe the nay sayers are probably correct in their assessment on this one. I just wanted to be helpful, but after reviewing the case again I believe it may be best to stick with a professional shipment. ASTM D6751 testing is pricey (about $1,300), and without it I'm afraid the co-op is pretty well exposed to lawsuits based on poor quality bio-diesel. Since the co-op is all about providing the diesel to people who know each other it's not a problem for us. I know I make high quality fuel, and they know that too. However, at this time a payment in bio-diesel is out of the question. I'm truly sorry for the let down. I clearly should have considered the situation more prior to writing a post.

Best regards,
amarr

Alredneck

Banned

Hey Amarr if there is a problem at hand then there is a answer for it also, there are people on here that come from all walks of life that may be able to put input in that can help. Before long there maybe over a 1000 folks reading this post. Some may have good ideas some bad, some talk smack others try and help. What Co-op is it that you are working with? We like stories. I mentioned before the W's (who,what,when,where,why,). Its not a personal attack just trying to get all the facts so we can make the best desicion for ourselves to . And you are right, I stand corrected Biodiesel is not hazmat as along as it meets certain standards. Also with the insurance, if someone runs into my truck and trailer going down the road and spills fuel all over the place and someone gets hurt or dead, and theres a fire closing down east I20. Well thats your fuel burning not mine so it seems odd why you would want me the driver with the minimum insurance to move your product. So to speak ( as example ). Kinda like its your product how come you are not sticking to your guns and backing it up. I hate making long post so I try and make thing short and to the point. Some folks take it as rash, rude, and probably a couple other choice words but I dont nessicarily mean it that way. Just trying to get all the facts and figures! Oh yea welcome to the site and when you get a MV come to a rally so you can get a better feel of how folks do business round here instead of just your first thread! ( Well you dont even have to have a MV to come to a rally either really what heck am I think'n) Good luck, Captain

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

The main reason I bid on and bought a 500 gallon tanker was for picking up waist oil or vegie oil for processing into fuel. With four diesels in the stable it makes great sense to do this. I am just hoping my boys make the pick up and get it before GL gets mad. A coop would be so great to be in so please share the details if you can as we could even start a Steel Soldiers Coop as well.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter

i would be interested in knowing more about veggie fuel. hoping that one day someone local would be selling some and i could at least one time fill up my truck haha

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks