• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cloudy new soft door window, any suggestions to try to clean/clear?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boat shoppes sell stuff exactly for this. Polishes up the plastic windows well.

Welcome.

Please post images of your rig.

kurtvk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a new soft door window, but it is very cloudy. I've come to expect a few spots, but this one is well beyond that.

Anyone had any luck clearing up cloudiness on these windows?
If so what did you use?

Thanks
i tried Meguiar's PlastX cleaner, not much luck so far.
Indiana here too, NW Indiana

Patrick_the_Hoosier

i tried Meguiar's PlastX cleaner, not much luck so far.
Indiana here too, NW Indiana
Thanks for the input, I'll skip the PlastX then.

SE Indiana myself.

Thinking about trying Starbrite Clear Plastic Restorer. Saw some impressive before after pictures in the reviews.

If I do I'll let you know how it worked out.

Screenshot_20231117_172251_Amazon Shopping.pngScreenshot_20231117_172254_Amazon Shopping.png

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used Novus 2 polish for over 20 years. We used it at work to keep the lenses on emergency vehicle light bars clear.

When I got my Unimog, it had a cloudy soft-plastic rear cab and side windows that you couldn't see through, so I tried the Novus on those. Turned the plastic crystal clear (which really surprised me!).
I use old (but clean) athletic socks, fluffy side out, as applicator and buffer. Shake the bottle really well, put some on the sock which is over your hand, and gently start rubbing the plastic in a circular manner. I usually work on small areas, around 6" square, at a time.
Do this until you start to get a dry layer on the plastic (a minute or so of rubbing) then use a clean sock (or a t-shirt, or other soft cloth) and gently buff the layer off. Repeat as necessary.
Be patient and gentle, don't rub the polish on too hard or fast, as this generates heat which can distort soft plastic! A buddy of mine didn't heed my warning on that and ended up with some small bulges in his M35 rear window.

There are 1 and 3 grade Novus polishes, but I've never bothered with them.

Cheers

NVAM998

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just tried the 3 step Novus polish after power washing and soap and water did nothing. Wish I had taken a before picture. There are still some deep scratches but that's good enough for me. Overall, the vinyl is now water clear! Prior to that you couldn't use the side mirrors. Took under an hour.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks