• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clunking when turning

rccollin

Im having a lot of "clunking" when turning, both left and right. Im thinking it may be time to replace the kingpin bushings. Anybody else have this issue? Tie rod and draglink ends appear to be good.

rustystud

Do you "feel" anything in the steering wheel ? Could be the steering gear itself. I would jack-up the truck (use jack stands) and have someone turn the wheel for you while you go and try and hear or feel anything loose in the steering system. Also once it is on the jack stands, get a long pry bar ( at least 5ft ) and put it under the wheels and pull up on it. If the king-pins are loose the wheel will move up and down. The wheel will also move up and down if the wheel bearings are loose or going bad. You cannot have more then 1/4" up and down movement (Federal Standards) . If you do then you must repair it.
Also have you checked your lug nuts lately ?

camoyj7

While its jacked up grease the spring bushings. Better to have axle hanging so the lower part of bushing get grease.
When bushings are a little worn and haven't been greased they will cause a clunking sound when turning.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could it be coming from the back? If so, its a common issue. The springs keep the axles centered but the box on the axle has extra space for articulation. Space equals clunks.

The last time I drove my Deuce I heard a clunk in the front end. I knew my wheel bearings were in bad shape. I had cleaned the and re packed them to buy me some time until I could rebuild the front axle. Now I am putting the axle back together with all new bearings, bushings and seals. Should be finished by the weekend. After inspecting all the consumable parts I have determined that my clunk was the left wheel bearing. The king pin bushings were in ok condition but they were replaced any way.
I hope this helps.

Mitchell.

sandcobra164

Mine clunks when turning right off the pavement onto my dirt road. Front and both Rear axles have been checked and serviced by myself. I think Recovery4X4 has likely figured it out. My truck will make it's 5th 200 mile one way trip to the GA Rally in a few months and I'm not worried about the axle staying under it. If you find something different, I'd be curious to know what you find.

welldigger

Im having a lot of "clunking" when turning, both left and right. Im thinking it may be time to replace the kingpin bushings. Anybody else have this issue? Tie rod and draglink ends appear to be good.
First and foremost make sure all of your lug nuts are tight. I had a front tire coming loose on one of my one tons the other day. Left turns made a horrendous clunking noise. Front left tire had all 8 lug nuts coming loose.

Then check the front wheel bearings and u joints inside the knuckles.

If it was kingpin bushings you would notice severely uneven tire wear on the inside edge of the front tires. That area would have accelerated wear.

dmetalmiki

First and foremost make sure all of your lug nuts are tight. I had a front tire coming loose on one of my one tons the other day. Left turns made a horrendous clunking noise. Front left tire had all 8 lug nuts coming loose.

Then check the front wheel bearings and u joints inside the knuckles.

If it was kingpin bushings you would notice severely uneven tire wear on the inside edge of the front tires. That area would have accelerated wear.
Second that. That's what I would definitely check for first.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks