• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clutch alingment tool wont' fit new pilot bushing

yolner

So I installed the new pilot bushing, but now the clutch alignment tool won't fit inside. I don't know what I could have done wrong. I pulled the old one with a slide hammer and tapped in a new one.

Can I sand the inside of the bushing down to get the shaft to fit? If not what should I do differently next time? Is there a special tool you're supposed to use to install one of these?

goldwing2000

Banned
Generally you want to NOT hammer directly on the bushing itself. There are bushing driving tools that support the ID while driving on the OD. A block of wood will work in a pinch.
Did you verify that the bushing fit over the trans input shaft before you installed it? If you're positive it's the right bushing, then you can VERY carefully remove material from the outer edge where it probably mushroomed from tapping it in. Go slowly and only remove as much as necessary to get the shaft to slide in freely.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have sworn off clutch pilot tools forever in favor of an old input shaft. They also work perfectly as an installment tool. There is just no better tool for the job for sure!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have sworn off clutch pilot tools forever in favor of an old input shaft. They also work perfectly as an installment tool. There is just no better tool for the job for sure!
I've also used an old broom handle in a pinch. Sometimes you have to "machine" it with some electrical tape or pocket knife to get it to fit just right. :grd: