• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clutch Job Looming

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe sence they offer a 6 puck thats what I would put in there.
The grease fitting does not lube the bearing it lubes the shaft it rides on.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember to replace the rear main seal on the engine. You will be glad you did.

;-)

sw

Seth_O

Tks for the counsel guys. I dropped the flywheel off at the machine shop last night. $60 to get it resurfaced :-(. I think I threw up a little in my mouth when he told me......

RANDYDIRT

I also noticed (not sure if it's related) that many of the holes where the tranny bolts to the adapter plate seem to have coils in them. Maybe someone tried to draw the tranny on with the bolts and stripped them out?
Maybe the tranny came loose via the stripped bolt holes and wore your pilot bushing out. This would also explain the copious amounts of "puck dust".

Dirt

Rattlewagon

Tks for the counsel guys. I dropped the flywheel off at the machine shop last night. $60 to get it resurfaced :-(. I think I threw up a little in my mouth when he told me......
not that it makes you feel any better but, thats what folks charge around here as well.

thats for grinding, not cutting.

Seth_O

Update: I got my new clutch installed (new pilot bushing, T/O bearing, PP and disk) and the tranny reinstalled. NEVER again will I do a tranny on a deuce without the clutch alignment tool - what a PITA. What should have been an hour took 5.5 - and I used a chain hoist.

The issue I am having now though is that in checking my clutch adjustment, all my measurements appear correct (per the TM) but with the clutch fully pressed, It still seems like the tranny is engaged - i.e. I can't turn the spud shaft by hand with the clutch to the floor. I can spin it easily when in neutral, but not in gear with the clutch fully depressed.

Is this normal? Should I be worried? I have the requisite 3.25" of distance between the swing arm and the bell housing, and ~1.25" of travel on the pedal before I feel resistance.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
How many finger PP did you get? I ask because I put a 4 finger PP in a truck and you could adjust how far the fingers stuck out of the PP. Maybe you need to adjust yours out a bit.

Seth_O

3 finger PP, I didn't notice any adjustment possible on it when I was ready to install. But I wasn't looking for that. I fired it up this evening and checked to see if I could get it to work, no dice. Griiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd..........

Seth_O

Gimp - that's exactly what my old 4 finger looks like, I don't recall my 3 finger having those adjusters though. Actually, when I look at pictures of them online, they do seem to have something similar.

I am going to be irritated if I have to take the whole darned thing apart again to make that adjustment. Does your output shaft spin freely while the clutch is engaged but the tranny is in gear?

Seth_O

It shouldn't. If your in gear and the clutch is engaged, you should be spinning the motor.
Maybe my terminology is wrong? I would think that if the truck was in gear, but I had pressed the clutch to the floor the output shaft should spin freely?

When you adjusted your PP, were you able to do it while the tranny was installed via the inspection window in the bellhousing?

gimpyrobb

If you have the clutch peddle pressed in, it should spin freely. When I realized the fingers were adjustable, I had the PP sitting on the ground and one of the fingers was farther in than the rest. I looked it over and realized I could adjust it to the level the other fingers were. Its possible you could adjust the level, but I would not be able to tell you which way to turn it. If you can't spin the trans with the clutch peddle pressed in, I think you might want to pull the trans. I know you don't want to hear it, sorry.

JDToumanian

A few thoughts after reading this thread....

-- Are you sure you put the clutch disk in facing the right way? It is not reversible, there is a pressure plate side and a flywheel side.

-- Are you sure you used the correct clutch disk and pressure plate combination? The 3-puck disk must go with the 4-finger PP and the 6-puck disk must go with the 3-finger PP. It is my understanding that they are not interchangeable.

-- I'm not sure I trust your transmission adapter (the aluminum ring the transmission bolts to)..... I'd make sure to check it. There is a procedure in the TM for checking it's concentric-ness. I probably would have replaced it when I saw the thread repair coils. It seems that if you have the correct free travel at the pedal and all the above things are correct, it's gotta be something odd like the transmission's input shaft binding in the clutch disk splines or pilot bushing. The amount of disk material and the wear to the pilot bushing could also indicate this....

Good luck... Let us know!

Jon

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

I agree Jon, the pressure plate needing adjustment is on the slim side, but it is possible. I think the best thing to do is pull the trans and make sure everything is right.