• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clutch pedal was stiff now pushes with pinky

charlietango

Well I have a 68 M109A3 setup and it was driving OK when I got it. It had all the tell tale signs of a typical deuce when I got it IE blowing oil out of the bellhousing breather, slipping clutch after 200KM when you dump the clutch otherwise fine, shakes rattles and rolls like all the MLVW's I have come into contact with over the years. Clutch engaged just before half way out and seemed stiff but OK. We were using it fairly regularly in the bush on airsoft excersizes when all of a sudden I jumped in and almost broke my ankle the pedal went down so fast and easy. The friction was completely gone and now the clutch barely gets the truck moving. One minute fine next this. any ideas? doesnt really smell like burning clutch could it be low oil? if so where do I check

Photos up here for curious folks www.pbase.com/axoracing/deuce
http://www.pbase.com/axoracing/image/49108254

my deuce and CUCV
http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t302/blue_kameleon/FNG Day/?action=view&current=DSCF0799.jpg

sitting on my Deuce
http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t302/blue_kameleon/FNG Day/?action=view&current=DSCF0798.jpg

acetomatoco

200 kilometers is about 125 miles... he is in Canada where the miles are shorter...and the speeds are faster... A deuce will go 100 (almost)

acetomatoco

If the oil gets too low it won't drip on the clutch any more and it won't slip...nor will the engine turn..

charlietango

wasnt sure if the clutch on those units were 'dry' or not. You inadvertently answered one question.

as for replace broken part - the linkage is all intact so nothing visual. wanted some insight as I obviously have not delt with a problem like this before and will gladly take advice on other things it could be before I, hastily, remove the clutch assembly ( perhaps without needing to. )

the engine runs fine still 4 star that oil level is fine ...the clutch slips like a son of a b**** all the time now so im assuming the clutch is gone. no smell of burning clutch though

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds like something in your pressure plate let loose. Time for a complete clutch R&R. You may as well pull the flywheel while your at it and replace the crankshaft rear main seal. Use the search at the top of this page and search for rear main seal and clutch(in the deuce forum) and you should find all you need to know and some real good pictures of the process.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think the pressure plate failed-fingers broken, etc.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
there are many many thousands of trucks out there with 4 finger plates, you are just lucky.......... i thought he might mean 200 K (as in 1000) M (as in miles) i have never seen a deuce with more than 98 K M as in 98,000 miles and yes i did see one it was a pipeline truck. and be sure to use a NEW seal, not NOS which are worthless. yes the throwout probably wore through the fingers, remember the days of carbon throwout brngs on british cars? what a joke, when the carbon was gone the wear began

charlietango

Ok so I just went out to check the deuce after a month and I apparently remembered this a little wrong. The clutch is NOT slipping rather seems to be bitting quite strong! However the clutch engages when the pedal is right at the top instead of about 1/4 way out as im assuming it should. There is still no pedal tension at all. Are there internal springs that can come off? something to do with the pedal adjustment perhaps? I am going to check those diagrams dog because I dont have a clue what the 'fingers' are. im a novice mechanic and most of the work I am experienced with is brakes, bearings, u-joints, and basic things like that. (more than average joe but less than most of you guys I think)

I also have a M1009 CUCV that is keeping me busy with starter grief and I just changed the fuel pump..im learning to respect the Dirty EeMEes for doing this all in the field!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks