• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

clutch plate surface area

SuperJoe

i have finally removed my transmission from my burnt multi and was surprised to see how little surface area the clutch plate actually has. with aprox measurements it has about the same area of my geo metro plate. the pressure plate has far more clamping force so i am only comparing area here.

couple things i have questions about:

is this the standard plate that is in kinda a star pattern or did someone at some time put in a bare essentials kit of some sort?

also i have never seen a plate that was not a complete circle. is this star common on larger applications?

also what do you think the aprox weight for everything in the second picture would be? i want to palletize it so its easy to move to the "never be used again parts recreation" in my yard, but i dont want to be half way there and have the pallet give up and dump my mess all over

thanks
Joe

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two things you should use more often, The shift key and your TM.

Attachments

ODdave

Way different than your geo.

You have to keep in mind the diameter, And the button style of clutch has much more holding power than a disk because the force of the pressure plate is not spread out of as much of an area.
You will notice that the buttons are made of a metalic/ceramic material and not organic like disks.
Button style are more durable and hold more than disks but in light vehicals they tend to chatter and are not as driver friendly so they are not common in trucks 1-ton and under.

m816

The clutch disc is standard. The fly wheel needs to be surfaced as well as the pressure plate. the assembly you have displaued is only about eighty lbs. the pallet will be fine. I have all my parts in a card board box. We are doing a clutch job right now and total cost is about three hundred bucks. Yours may be more. I'm clling in some favors for this job. We have the engine/trans powerpack out so we thought it wa a good time to do everyting

m816

to Od

About your avatar, what is the lass going for ?I hope she was rewarded with her efforts. Just my observations

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks