• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clutch Replacement

maxspeed3

Hey,

So a couple of weeks ago my clutch went out on the truck. It didnt burn out, but rather the bolts holding the pressure plate onto the flywheel backed themselves out. Which caused the truck to work harder and burned out the clutch.

So I ordered a brand new kit from C & C equipment (thanks for the fast shipping by the way, I ordered it last Friday and it got to my house yesterday). However the new pressure plate is a different design from the one on the truck. It has 12 holes to mount it to the flywheel where the old pressure plate has 8. The original 8 match up perfect on the new pressure plate. I'm just wondering if this will matter when I mount the new clutch onto the flywheel which also has 8 mounting holes. So 4 from the new pressure plate won't be used. I talked to my neighbor who is a diesel mechanic and he said it should be fine. I just wanted to double check.

What do you guys think???

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's probably made for multiple applications. If the same number of holes line up with the original mounting holes on the flywheel, you should be fine.

Make sure the clutch disc is the same diameter as the pressure plate.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Newer pressure plate has three 'stamped' fingers, older pressure plate has four cast fingers and they are prone to breaking (usually just one). Newer is a better PP.

DeucesWild11

Yeah sounds like it should be fine. I am not a mechanic but fairly mechanical in knowledge. How difficult is it to change out a clutch? One thing I have never done before.. I recently rebuilt my Airpack & MC and pulled a motor out of a '73 VW Beetle once.. Hoping mine doesn't go any time soon..

maxspeed3

Yeah sounds like it should be fine. I am not a mechanic but fairly mechanical in knowledge. How difficult is it to change out a clutch? One thing I have never done before.. I recently rebuilt my Airpack & MC and pulled a motor out of a '73 VW Beetle once.. Hoping mine doesn't go any time soon..
It's not to bad. I say have at least 1 other person help you. Even better to have 2. Also I really recommend an engine hoist to (if you have one). The trani isn't too heavy, maybe 300 pounds. But you start by unbolting the floor in the cab, just the middle section, and I ran the engine hoist through the passenger side door and wrapped the chain right behind the bell housing and around the knuckle for the drive shaft to the transfer case. (it helps alot to unbolt the drive shaft at the rear of the trani (the knuckle, or the part that spins) (I can add photos to clarify). But once you have the trani supported there are (12) bolts around the bell housing (outer bolts were the ones I took off) unbolt those and use the hoist to pull the trani straight toward the rear of the cab.

Be careful to come straight out (mine didn't come out very well because the old pressure plate was held on by one bolt. So basically everything was coming with it (which made it take alot longer) Once I had enough room I got the last bolt off the pressure plate so it would be free. I lowered the trani onto some wood and concrete blocks and thats where she sits right now. The new clutch kit is waiting to be installed this weekend. I'll try to post some photos of the ordeal as I work on it.

One thing I would do is check those bolts on the pressure plate. There is an access panel on the underside of the bell housing (6 bolts hold it on) its maybe 3"x 6" not too big. toward the rear of the truck after the bell housing, really can't miss it... But if you take that off you can fit a hand in there to check if the bolts are tight... When I took mine off there were 4 bolts sitting on that plate and another one was wedged under the pressure plate and the bell housing...SCARY!!!

Hopefully you will never have to do a clutch, its kind of a pain, but I've learned alot about the truck too!!

One thing I forgot to mention my truck doesn't have a winch so no PTO shaft. Also you have to unbolt the clutch linkage, just one bolt (can't miss it) have the person who is helping you push the clutch pedal while your under the truck.

But once Ive got the new clutch installed I shouldnt have to do another one for a long time!

Hopefully the weather will copperate this weekend so I can :grd:

Shes been sitting for 3 weeks, and I really want to drive it!

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just had a new clutch, pressure plate and transmission put in mine. I bought all my parts from memphis equipment . The new pressure plate is way stiffer than the original one. Has anybody noticed this . It's probably 50% harder to push the peddle down *now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks