• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clutching the XM818 W/W

dropped the tranny out of the 818 today. will pull the pressure plate and flywheel off in the morning. any leads as to who to buy replacements from? I will need- pilot bearing thru throwout bearing. I can probably get them somewhat local. just wanted to give those that hang around here a shot.

I'm going to need the entire setup.
pilot bearing
clutch disc (ceramic)
pressure plate
throw out bearing

also would like to replace the transmission while we have it apart. found quite a bit of particles inside when we pulled the top.
any one have a new or fresh rebuild tranny around for a reasonable price? its from the cummins setup so its over drive.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
David:
What do you think caused this trouble? I am going to be clutching my way north in our M818 next week and would like to know some tell tale signs of what led you to replacing the clutch. How hard was it to drop and any pictures would sure be great but I know you all are getting more of that global warming white stuff so no big deal on the picts.

David, throw out bearing started making a little noise a couple years ago. so i reached up in there and drilled a very small hole in the case of it. then lubed it with a xtra long straw for quite some time.
Got tired of pushing my luck and tore it down. as far as what caused this? when i bought the unit, the clutch was out of adjustment. 0 free play is what toasted the throw out bearing and the realese fingers on the pressure plate. tranny was a little noisy when i got it and has been getting worse.
with the tranny out, now is the time to replace or fix that also.

Attachments

m139h2otruck

Our truck, being a bridge truck, sat around most of its life, so the throwout bearing dried out and started to howl right after we got it finished. Since we had to remove everything anyway, I ordered a full set (pressure plate, bearing and disk) to do the job only once. At the time , Memphis was the best deal, but still expensive. Be prepared, the pressure plate is very heavy and you need to get the disk centered or you will never get the transmission back in.

m139h2otruck said:
Our truck, being a bridge truck, sat around most of its life, so the throwout bearing dried out and started to howl right after we got it finished. Since we had to remove everything anyway, I ordered a full set (pressure plate, bearing and disk) to do the job only once. At the time , Memphis was the best deal, but still expensive. Be prepared, the pressure plate is very heavy and you need to get the disk centered or you will never get the transmission back in.
looks like i can have the pressure plate and disc rebuilt for less than $300.00. still looking around for other prices for the rest. as for the disc being centered i have made an alighnment tool. and all this stuff is heavy for sure. flywheel was turned today. I have made alighnment pins for the flywheel install out of bolts that i cut off. its to heavy to fight without them. trying to find a suitable throwout bearing that is greaseable. I will post #'s of this if it is found. will be replacing the ring gear at this time also. it wasnt that bad but why not do it while were here. Boyce has them for $100.oo plus ride.fliping the ring gear on this model is not possible as the alighnment notches are only cut on one side. still looking for a rebuilt or nos tranny for the old girl. Memphis has them for $3000.00. ouch!

yes gimp, with all the junk I have there is allways somthing to do. went real good tho. I knew i was pushing my luck a little with the throw out bearing but i had no idea that the pilot bearing was so close to junking the input shaft! really no way of checking that with out pulling the tranny and clutch. as far as i know anyways.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks