• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coast to Coast

SquirrelsOnFIRE

OK, So i am new here. My first post. I will be buying a bobbed deuce from the dollar man next year. I am gearing up on my knowledge both mechanical and historical in the mean time. These are very proud machines, and i can not wait to be the owner of one. My main question here (which i have not found an answer to on here) is, what do you think the cost of fuel would be (loosely) if i were to fly out to California and drive this back to Baltimore, Maryland. The trip is roughly 2,650 miles. I read they get about 10 miles to the gallon with the turbo diesel but i want to hear it from the people that drive them. If this sounds like a stupid question to you, it has been a burning question for me. If the average diesel cost is 3.50 nationwide and they get 10 miles to the gallon i figure a cross country trip should cost 1,000 bucks for 2650 miles, does this sound right? Also what should i expect from the truck on such a long trip? Tings to take? I know they are beastly trucks, but that is a lot of driving time for any machine. All your input would be greatly appreciated.

91W350

Sounds like something I would do. If it makes 10, your math is right on the money. If you find yourself lost on I70 in the middle of Kansas and need a free place to stay, give me a shout. You might get overwhelmed with a good looking blond or two, but eventually they will come back downstairs to my bedroom. Glen

Attachments

goodguyzy

thats a long trip, i would give serious reconsideration. $1000 fuel bill will be more like $1500 next year plus motel/food/etc. there are plenty for sale closer to you.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it's all good till you drop a tranny, t/c, or engine in BFE. Then it will add up quick if it can't be fixed easy. When I went from Corpus Christi TX to Atlanta, my Transmission started to make noise in Houston. By the time I limped into GA it sounded like you were beating on it with a hammer, got lucky and made it although you might not and you have to have a plan in place before you go, just in case.2cents

JDToumanian

If I could do such a trip -- meaning I had plenty of time and plenty of money to take care of any unforeseen problems en route -- I would totally go for it.

I wonder how much money Bjorn figures he saved by collecting WVO along his route when he drove the Cranetruck from VA to CA back in 2006? .....You should look up his thread from that trip, there is much to learn there.

Jon

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I could do such a trip -- meaning I had plenty of time and plenty of money to take care of any unforeseen problems en route -- I would totally go for it.

I wonder how much money Bjorn figures he saved by collecting WVO along his route when he drove the Cranetruck from VA to CA back in 2006? .....You should look up his thread from that trip, there is much to learn there.

Jon

My trip was a bit out of the ordinary cross country adventure, it also included a run down to Florida and Georgia to pick up a dolly and a laundry trailer to be delivered along the way, AR and NV respectively.
Loaded rig shown below. Not so visible are the 50+ "cubies" with veggie oil and biodiesel, enough for about 2,000 miles, stacked right behind the crane. The dolly is on top...

Attachments

SquirrelsOnFIRE

Thanks for all your replys. I do like the idea at crashing at 91W350's house for a night. A hot blonde is always a nice thing. So i have been searching a good bit and have not found anyone like the 100dollarman at half the distace. Ksm715, do you sell them frequently. I think i like the fact that callifornia is kinda dry and it wont come with rust like one from the east coast would. I know that it is a risky trip but if i knew a person at half the distance with a reputation like he has i would buy from them. Plus he paints them and does all sorts of extras for you if you pay for it. Money will not be the issue, I just want to do it right the first time. Thanks for all your help. Squirrels.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bet he will ship it also....

KsM715

Mine is the one and only one Im doing. I have not seen hundys trucks in person but Ive seen many threads when people buy his trucks and have not seen one complaint yet.

Like DH said, I bet he would ship them no problem.

I have a 100$man bobbed deuce. It had 46" MVT on it but basically stock. Truck gets a true 10 miles a gallon in the hills. And about 12 - 13 on the straights.

My father in law just drove from Roger's in London, OH to Roseburg, OR no problems took 6 days. Truck ran better with each mile. Here is a small list of stuff to take;

Pillow for butt,
Rain jacket,
Lots of rags,
Duct tape,
Set of belts, hoses, and filters,
Oil, dot 5, gallons! of water, brake cleaner,
Tool box,
Wheel chock,
Battery cables (can't jump from car),
Tow rope,
Broken down hazard kit,
List of resources (Steel Soldiers who help-out along route),
Chase vehicle,
Drinking water,
Tire thumper,
Flash lights,
Air pump in chase car with plenty of hose,
Empty 5gal bucket with lid (dumping fluids on road and trooper pull up not good! show effort to contain).

Small list to check before leaving, with these trucks anything can go out so this list is just simple;

Check belts,
Check fluid levels (tc, tranny, axles, brake, etc..),
Check hoses (especially lower radiator hose),
Check fording plug is in storage hole,
Grease speedo adapter (amazing how this leaks gear oil when not lubed),
Check lug torque,
Check tire pressures,
Visually inspect tires for cracks etc..,
Test brakes,
Check lights,
Repeat checks each fill up....

Sure there are more to check but I have to run sure more will chime in. Remember truck will usually tell you it is sick so just listen and feel while you drive. Don't push your trip, the harder the truck is run over long distances before being "tuned up/fixed" will probably result in bad things.

KsM715

Not to take bussiness away from 100dollarman but there is an SS member in Oklahoma that builds bobbed deuces. Let me go find his name. Mike-something

Edit: found him, mikew

Last edited: