• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Code Enforcement

Stonepicker1

Code lady got me this morning with my gooseneck trailer parked in the swale in front of my house. She said someone called and I need to move it now or get a $50.00 fine. I moved it to the side of the house, behind my wood fence. I do know who called.

salt6

I must be lucky. My blazer sits in the driveway and a guy a few houses down has a deuce in the back yard. I do keep my 151 in the garage. :)

Terracoma

He told me to keep moving the vehicles around and that would show progress.
Slightly different situation, but similar vein... True story, as well.

I used to live in a town (long before my own addiction) that had a guy with a motor pool's worth of former military vehicles. He owned a corner lot at a stopsign, and had two or three parked in the driveway under repair with several more on the street all around his corner of the intersection. Eventually he got tired of the neighbors complaining about his collection, and he moved out to the country. Naturally, he left the house to his son. And like father like son, the corner lot was soon repopulated ... Except with 1960s and 1970s GM cars and trucks.

However, the son had gotten smart about keeping code enforcement on their toes. All of the cars were legally registered, tagged, and could move under their own power if parked on the street. He quickly devised a plan to continually rotate where the cars were parked. When code enforcement came around to do their inspection, no single car was parked in the same spot for more than five or so days at a time, and each car would move to a different spot at least the minimum distance away from the previous parking spot, as required by city ordinance. Additionally, cars parked in the driveway was also on the clock, and each car would come in for periodic repair for a few days, and would fall back into the rotation on the street. Thus avoiding any issues with having an inoperable vehicle in the driveway for longer than allowed by another city ordinance.

It was like watching a merry-go-round, and code enforcement was powerless to stop him.

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it strike anyone else that especially in tough economic times this is a horrific waste of time and taxpayers' money? Codes are supposed to promote safety, not be a means for narrow-intestined fussbudgets to harrass folks....

roady

I remember a guy that had an older car he was fixing up and was having the same problem. He ended up getting a car trailer and kept it on the trailer. The trailer was tagged and insured. Then to get back at the complainers he decorated the car and trailer with Christmas lights. That was pretty funny and I think the complainers finally ended up moving.

Orionspath

Stuck with realities........

Good old Catch-22; the officer "sees nothing wrong" and cannot cite a violation, but you are expected to move the bloody things around to "show progress"????

Well, I always heard the saying that the only choices we don't have in life are our relatives and our neighbors....

Sir, you'll need to talk to the CE Inspector's Supervisor about stopping these "unfounded" violations. If that doesn't work, ask to speak to his/her Director. If that doesn't work contact, your local representative in city council, the mayor's office and perhaps even the city/co's. attorney's office. Explain that you have complied with the city's code regarding your property. Be knowledgeable about the code article (#). Be articulate and calm.
If this doesn't prompt the ongoing complaint to be viewed as unfounded and the case closed, then advise that any further failure of the C.E. Supervisor to put an end to this complainant's inquiries, will result in your counsel's recommendation to file a formal complaint against the local governments' inability to "ascertain" what a credible complaint is.

:deadhorse:
Sorry for the run on but as a supervisor for local codes, I know when to say enough is enough. (I also happen to own too much OD Iron myself)

Dave08

Latest update. Got home from work Friday (8/26) to another citation from Code Enforcement. This time with three violations cited: Overgrown Grass, Junk and Debris, and Unregistered Vehicles. I went to the code enforcement office to find out who turned me in for erroneous violations. Well it turned out that the Executive Director of the Office of Growth Management for the City of Titusville supposedly turned me in. She happens to be the director of the Code Enforcement division. Well she did not happen to be there when I arrived in person. I told those individuals that I would be there at 0730 Monday Morning. Apparently, at least what I think, is that someone called her and she put her name down as the complainant. The neighbors that I have work for the City of Cocoa and I still think that they are the ones messing with me. I will attempt to find out on Monday. Meanwhile, the violations are bogus with maybe the exception of the grass. Junk and debris could be my NHC 250 Cummins Diesel Engine, the unregistered vehicles are my MVs which I am awaiting proof of insurance so that I can get the tags. This is Harassment and I will fill a restraining order on these people and pursue the harassment venue. What is going to happen when I actually start to work on the MVs?
Monday should prove to be an interesting day!

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Again, the old adage that good fences make good neighbors (or at least can limit their ability to harass a person if their fence is high enough!!!) Good luck~

Marcel

Check with the town BEFORE you put up a fence. Some towns have strict rules regarding fence height. Code enforcement is on your a$$ so don't give them any more reasons to give you code violations. If the fence is too high they can make you take it down.

waayfast

Agreed on check fence height rules. My duma$$ county already has a 6' law. Tried to pass another round of rules that included "no fences higher than 4' within 100' to the highway" (I'm on the highway:()

Fences high enough to block the view of our stuff from the highway (and to give me some privacy from the idiots on the highway!) would have been outlawed! The only realistic conclusion is that these types of rules are not about the view--they are about control of your property!

So sorry to the bitchers and complainers! Stop trying to pass rules like this so as to be literally a thief in the night when it comes to my property.If you want control of my land then step up to the plate-be a man and BUY my property,assume the liabilty, the land taxes , pay the insurance and the upkeep like I do. It's called OWNERSHIP and I have paid dearly for the privelige. THEN you have ownership and therefore CONTROL. Until then, I own it ,therefore I control it.!!!!
NO! this is not to say I can do ANYTHING I want and to H3LL with everyone else but rather to get some common sense back into the picture. I am actually a bit of a neat freak but also like my FREEDOM to do entertain myself with my projects on MY place.
SHEESH!! Land of the free??? May have to rethink this notion if we continue shooting each other in the foot

Jim

bkwudzhom

Look at the codes before you do it, but shrubs and trees are rarely listed under code restrictions. HOA's yes but not usually under code restrictions. A nice row of red tips can get quite tall and make a nice "privacy fence" that cannot be touched. There are nice cedar tree varities that look quite nice and are dense enough to make a fence when placed close together.

bigzirb

Another thought about the fences if it is restricted to 6 feet high you can lower the duece parking spot. We have a local Volunteer Fire Dept duece that is parked in a cut into the ground that was trenched out to be a natural loading dock. It was dug several feet into the ground at an angle for semi's to back into. They dug until they were into the sand, then blocked around the sides with old railroad ties. They addes about a foot of rock for water drainage and now a 6 foot fence will hid a duece parked in there. Lots of work, but an option if you have to hide them behind a 6 foot fence. I'm sure you can find a MV guy around you with a backhoe to assist in the digging if you need, and it looks like you have the room to do it. 2cents
Good Luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks