• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold air intake mod?

Duecer187

I have searched and searched but I have a 1970 model m35a2 with the d turbo and I was wondering if anyone has made a cold air intake for their deuce and if it filters enough for the engine. I would figure it would give it a little more air and make the turbo sound a little better? The only things I could find were for the old suburbans. Any help would be appreciated thanks

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't it already a "cold air" intake?? It hangs out outside the engine compartment and is in the direct flow of air over the vehicle.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, it goes directly into the filter housing. Put a restriction gauge between the filter and turbo and see what kind of restriction is REALLY there. Spec is 25 in h2o max at rated load and speed

The King Machine

My motivation for changing the air intake was related to function in water.......I snorkeled it. I made brackets that piggy back off of the exhaust stack mounts. My first try at making a snorkel was successful but was a home made jobby. Didn't look that great but functioned well. I put on a ram air style intake on the top of the snorkel. I didn't like it. Showed no real gains as far as performance and my EGT's and boost stayed relatively normal. The down side was it sucked rain water up that seemed to pool in the bottom of the air filter housing. Not ideal. Also on over grown trails the intake would clog solid with leaves, enough to trip the alert in the cab.
since them I went back to the mushroom top. Here is a thread I put together if you want to see pictures.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?89517-An-American-Deuce-in-Canada&highlight=

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like Will said the cold air intake is already on the truck, maybe you need to explain just what you think you need and what you expect to gain from it?
Karl

Duecer187

Well it just seems like air will travel less distance less restriction so it would make my d turbo sound better and maybe get a little more air? Just curious what people have done and if it made the engine and turbo sound better?

rustystud

Are you wanting to "eliminate" the heated intake manifold ? Yes hot coolant flows around the air intake manifold, but since it is a short distance I don't think it heats-up the air all that much. Since your running a "Turbo" your flow will be basically the same no matter how you change the intake flow. Now if you get a larger turbo then yes you could benefit from having a larger intake as your intake volume would be higher and the larger intake would help with flow restriction. Of course if you somehow do eliminate the stock intake you will loose the advantage the heated intake manifold gives in cold weather. Remember there is always a "give and take" when modifying your engine.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Myself If you are talking about the air filter housing leave it alone. Hook up the air compressor intake to the air box housing for fording and clean you compressor air filter while your there.
Best thing you could do I you are looking for something to do is install a air dryer into the system.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks