• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold CUCV

diesel583

I statred my 1031 contact truck that had been sitting a week, it was 15 degrees. Fired up like it was summer. Been working on 6.2s since they came outlate 1981 I think. If they are in good shape they will start, but the glow plug have to work even in warm weather. And they have to crank at least 200 rpm. Good luck

K45

You might can try some electric blankets to get the engine bay up in temp and then fire it up, if there is no other mechanical issue. i know it is kinda ghetto route but it something to use in a pinch, in your enviroment I would highly recommend a block heater of some sorts

mangus580

Does anyone have any advice or experience trying to get a cold, 1987 M-1008 (cucv) started in single-digit temps ??
First of all, this should be in its own thread.

Second.... Do a little searching on the CUCV section.

look for a thread called 'bypass glowplugs' and you will see a video posted of a 1009 starting at 5° with nothing but the stock glow plug system.

It sounds like you have some glow plug problems, and may possibly be not following the starting instructions that should be on the back of your visor.

Reactions: FMJ

Westech

CPL
I started my 09 this morning and it was 12*. I do not have a block heater or oil heater in yet and it starts right up. Like right up, no smoke no knocking (bad knocking) just runs great. The glow plugs were all replaced by the military right before I got it. With a up to date glow plug system you should have no problem starting in the cold. I would say you should be safe in the -10* ish range even.
And I know I have talked about just installing a switch for the glow plugs but I tell ya the stock system works so well its worth fixing whats wrong and use it. I had a switch on my old m1009 and M1008 and they did not start half as good as my new 09 with stock system. Im sold on stock.