• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold start c7 issues

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It got down to about 30f today (yay snow?) and since I got the tail lights reconnected I took the truck for a drive (first real test with Eco hubs too).
The truck didn't turn on the grid heater before startup (for the past month it has-40-50 deg). I tried starting and it cranked up better than before, also exhaust smelled a little different so I'm assuming it used the ether system?
I looked in cat et for data about outputs and temps but couldn't find anything right away (I'm not well versed in the cat software yet). It did have a flag for "cold mode" but I couldn't find what cold mode was.
Basically I'm trying to get some idea on when/what it trigged for cold mode.
I'm in WI and it's getting to -30 here at times. I do have a block heater to install as well. Not sure how many starts the ether cylinder will last?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can confirm that cold mode status flag is always set on any start below 158F. The engine rolls coal a bit in this mode.

I've never had my Ether engage that I'm aware of but I can't recall at the moment if I had the cylinder installed last winter or not. My truck came from Texas with no cylinder installed and as far as I can tell had never had one during it's service life.

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the A1 the ether cylinder is back near the LBCD. I thought the A1R's used a heated fuel bowl instead?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the A1 the ether cylinder is back near the LBCD. I thought the A1R's used a heated fuel bowl instead?
No the A1R and A1P2 still use Ether assist and the solenoid/cylinder is in the same location. I just installed a bottle on the existing solenoid. The difference is that the later C7 uses a single Ether nozzle at the intake manifold and the solenoid is a different part number.

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No the A1R and A1P2 still use Ether assist and the solenoid/cylinder is in the same location. I just installed a bottle on the existing solenoid. The difference is that the later C7 uses a single Ether nozzle at the intake manifold and the solenoid is a different part number.
The heated fuel bowl: more misinformation shared by folks at MME—

[EDIT: I shouldn't pick on MME. I love my truck and they helped me have the confidence to start this journey]

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The heated fuel bowl: more misinformation shared by folks at MME—
There is a heated fuel bowl on the fuel/water separator element...... someone, somewhere is probably confused thinking that is involved in the cold start. I can tell you without a doubt it is not used by the CAT ECM (at least not directly). I just replaced my entire engine harness from the ECM to all the engine sensors including the grid heater relay, etc and the wiring for the separator heating element is not connected to any of it and didn't get replaced.

Ronmar

These trucks are confusing—
All the versions have them in the primary fuel filter/separator bowl. like the heater in the bottom of the air dryers, they come on with ignition power, but they are internally thermally regulated and do not actually provide any heat until they get cold enough. I think I read a spec on the old style air dryer of 28F. Their purpose is to keep the bottoms warm enough to keep any accumulated water in a liquid state so it can be drained off, or purged when the dryer vents…

In the case of the fuel bowl, and the volume of fuel the cat fuel system pumps, that tiny 24V heater would only barely have an effect on the water or fuel at the very bottom of the bowl below the separator plate. Someone saying it has something to do with fuel heating is, well, misinformed… With the fuel volume pumped by the lift pump, that heater would be like a candle in a blizzard... Disconnect the fuel return line at the tank and run it into a bucket and you will see what I am talking about…

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did some testing with the Eco hubs today, truck wouldn't get above 170 even pulling a big hill for a few minutes (and then cooled down on the decent). Temp was 45 outside. Hill was steep enough 330hp rating and no load couldn't maintain 55. Time to order some thermostats. Also need to install that radiator shroud soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks