• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold start idle temp switch fix

Milbikes

So my high (Cold) idle solenoid wasn't working. I found no power at the solenoid on the pump when engine was cold/ignition on. I went back to the temp switch on the passenger side rear of the engine. One blade on the switch was gone! The two-wire plug that plugs onto it was melted pretty bad.

I cut off the plug, trimmed the remaining wire ends, crimped on female spade terminals. Went to NAPA, they would have to order the switch, to the tune of $40.

I bought a toggle switch instead, and mounted it in the metal trim plate under the steering column.

I ran two wires out through the speedometer cable boot, across the firewall, over to my repaired wire ends near the temperature switch. I put male spade terminals on the wires, and plugged them into the wires from the loom.

I turned on the key, flipped the toggle, and got a nice high idle when the engine started cold. After a minute or two, depending on outside temperature, I flip the toggle off.

It isn't stock, but it was a lot cheaper, available, and functional. I won't forget to turn it off, as the high idle will be instant feedback to remind me.

Pretty simple. Pics available if needed. H.

Capt.Marion

Pics are always nice; why don't you post up a couple.

Anyways, this sounds like a smart mod to make if you're having high-idle switch problems.

Hasdrubal

I also have a manual cold start wired to an illuminated toggle switch. Actually prefer it to the stock setup. As I'm running a push button glow plug system I guess it doesn't matter re; the glow plug card getting a signal from the cold start solenoid.

Milbikes

My temp switch on the passenger side rear was dead from the day I got the truck (Actually missing a spade). The glow plug circuit always worked correctly and started the truck right up, even on the 3 degree mornings we had:

I would turn the key on, the wait to start light would light up, the volt meter would go into the high yellow zone. The wait light would go out, and I would start the truck. The glow plugs would continue their glow (Indicated by the volt meter). Then, I would hear the glow plug relay click off, and the volt meter would go to high green. After a brief running time, till coolant was warm, the wait to start light would not come on during restart, and no drain on voltmeter due to glow plugs.

I think there may be another temp sensor that tells the glow plug card when to do its thing?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
10 minutes looking at the pictures in the -20P TM would show you that there are 3 temp sensors.

One for the GP system(intake side of Drivers side head, near the back), one for the engine temp light(front of Drivers side head, near exhaust manifold), and one for the Cold Advance, on the Passenger side head, rear, near the exhaust manifold.

There is a 2 wire to 1 wire adapter available to use the one wire sensor. All in the TMs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks