• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cold start issues

Old Rusty m1008

In the mornings ( its around freezing here) when I start the CUCV it sounds like ive got a bearing knock. Im sure its cause the oil is not thin enough as it goes away once the truck is warmed up .. Im running 15W40 Shell Rotellat oil.. So on a whim I went out yesterday and bought one of those magnetic block heaters(http://www.tractorsupply.com/heavy-duty-magnetic-heater-1911123) that I clipped onto the oil pan last night. I left it plugged in all night and this morning I went to start the truck ( my truck runs every few days and usually on Mondays and Fridays for dump runs) and it was a real hard start. I let the glow plugs work and when they went off I started it after a couple of tries. The truck smoked bad ( black fuel) and the stuck valve that was on the right side started making noise again. The truck was also puffing out black drops of something. through the exhaust which appeared to be the carbon and oil again, the same stuff it was doing when i first got the truck and I cleared up by changing the oil twice and adding seafoam to the oil These are the questions.. 1 Should I be using the block heater plugged in all night or should I be plugging it in a half hour prior to using the truck on any given day? 2 Would I be better off using one of those block heaters that work with the antifreeze ( I was looking at this http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...-26lg?itemIdentifier=21329&_requestid=2245777) What are you guys doing in the colder climates? this is my first diesel I have no clue what im doing with this..

Last edited:

trukhead

Does the engine run smooth if it has warmed up? Do you have access to a infrared temp gun? Measure the exhaust ports to see if you have a dead cylinder. Bent pushrod, bad injector, bad glowplug. I like the trucks when they run well.:whistle:

Scarecrow1

Understand I am not and don't claim to be a mechanic having said that I would use a thinner oil like a 5W-30 in cold climates . Also if you use a block heater it should stay on all night . I know some say it doesn't matter but the radiant heat will make it's way through out the motor in time . This comes from a generation that kept a hundred watt bulb in the pump house to keep it from freezing . It sounds to me like you have a problem that isn't related to the cold but may be as truckhead stated. Let us know how it plays out.

mudman

It sounds as though some of your glow plugs are not working. Also the moisture in the tail pipe, that could be just that moisture in the tail pipe, you will have to warm up the engine and run it down the road to see if if clears up. They will bang and rattle when cold. As scarecrow mentioned above change the oil to a 5/ 30W. It cold here 12 degrees this morning. I plug 'Beula" in for an hour or so before puting "Fire in the hole", and yes she spits and stutters a bit, but clears right up in 2 -3 seconds. Just don't rev it up when cold, or you will blow the bottom end out.!!

Ken

Old Rusty m1008

my truck sat for who knows how long prior to my getting it, When it started the first few times there was a steady right side valve that seemed off it would pop and you could see puffs out of the right exhaust... After the first oil change with seafoam it cleared up within an hour or so I changed the oil after maybe 500 miles because the original oil was real cruddy looking. and the truck was great after that for a few weeks. Today is the first time I heard the valve really going at it. The bearing noise only happens when its below 40 or so out these noises now only go until the truck is warmed up fully. Once shes warm she will run like a champ all day also for whatever its worth I pulled the oil pan down and changed the seals as well as installed a new oil pump and screen due to the filfth of the oil on the first change.

wayne pick

If you are new to diesels, it is not uncommon to have to cycle the GPs a few times in cold weather or if the truck sits for extended periods of time. The knock you hear is more than likely just a cold 6.2. High compression indirect injected diesels are noisy when cold. As far as the black smoke goes, You may be depressing the throttle a little too much on startup. If it clears up, it's no problem. The oily residue from the exhast is something you might want to have a diesel mechanic look into, if indeed it is oil.
The oil pan heater will do nothing to warm the engine block it self, and alot of the heat it does produce bleeds off unless the truck is garaged. An emersion block heater of 600 w is more than enough to warm the engine. Put the heater on a timer that comes on three hours before you want to startup. Running the heater all night is just a waste of electricity unless it's extreamly cold, teens and below. Good luck.