• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold start up M35A2 Video

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be happy if mine starts Sat morning when I have to move it and it's inside the barn. It will be about 20 outside.

91W350

My old 72 was great about starting cold, maybe all that time in South Dakota sank in. This 68 is pretty quick normally, not as quick or strong as the 72. I hope yours fires up for you....nothing ruins a day like fighting with a stubborn diesel.....

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 69 Kaiser always starts without issues down to the teens. Below that I use 1 - 2 shots of ether and no problem. I quit using a block heater because it starts fine without one.

4play

Mine has sat for months without starting, and it always fires right up. The other morning it was in the low 20's and the duece had been sitting for around 2mos and it cranked probably 1-2 seconds and fired right up with no assist, and was ready to go :eek:.

Tlauden

Mine fires up great in the cold, that's on at LEAST 50/50 diesel WMO mix, there may be more WMO than diesel, I never measure. She smokes a bit but usually fires within 3 seconds. I usually turn the master power on for about 20 secs before trying to crank her over, I believe there's a small fuel leak and it loses prime, oh well, that's a problem for a warmer day haha

91W350

Nice truck! Your video is much better than mine....I never thought about an across the cab view, it will be getting colder here and I will shoot another. Thanks for sharing!

wsucougarx

Here's my entry for the Cold Start Division. I actually made this video because I am selling this truck. I have it listed in the classified but I know how you all like pics and vids;-) I attemped to edit this video but my attempts to shorten the video only made it twice as long. The short vid version plays first then the unedited long version right after.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXekV_RYpY0

Last edited:

APM215

Didn’t get a video of it but I just started the M35 with out aid at a freezing -20c/ -4F! Cranked about 12-13 times and then started like a crabby old man with a bad chest cold. LOL
I don’t want a , I don’t want a , I don’t want a , I don’t want a , I don’t want a blap cough blap blap cough cough!! Then smoked out the yard.
Sorry about the picture quality I used my phone.

Attachments

Last edited:

bombdfuzer1369

How does the little cold engine switch lower left of steering wheel help start the M35A2 in cold weather. Cant seem to find out what it actually does in the manual
It's for my 1970 Kaiser

Merc1973

How does the little cold engine switch lower left of steering wheel help start the M35A2 in cold weather. Cant seem to find out what it actually does in the manual
It's for my 1970 Kaiser
It's sometimes difficult not to repeat answers, but asking and answering "live" is what a forum is all about IMHO, so let's see, the purpose of the intake manifold heater is to warm the air and promote ignition at very cold temperatures. Should never be needed above 20°F and with good batteries, probably not above 10°F.
Fuel from the engine injection pump at about 35 psi, is boosted in pressure by the "flame heater" pump to about 90 psi and an ignition module continuously sparks the flame heater spark plug to ignite the vaporized fuel within the intake manifold.
One drawback is that it uses air when in operation and should only be used while cranking and intermittently. Another drawback is that you don't really know that it's working. I made an optical sensor to give an indication that there was fire, but that's another story...
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?42522-manifold-heater

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upload/M35/TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf#page=96

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upload/M35/PS article Warm-up PDF.pdf

Attachments

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love cold start videos! I wish mine started when It was 10 degrees out and such. It loves the block heater. I dont drive it much at all in the winter. Only to go out and play on roads that have not been plowed yet. But it is fun starting it up and letting it warm up :)

74M35A2

I love cold start videos! I wish mine started when It was 10 degrees out and such. It loves the block heater. I dont drive it much at all in the winter. Only to go out and play on roads that have not been plowed yet. But it is fun starting it up and letting it warm up :)
I have this strange feeling one would find a somewhat direct correlation between cylinder leak-down rate vs cold start-ability in a compression ignition engine.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks