• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cold start

chevy79k5

hey all i got a 86 m1009 and when its in the lower 40's or below my truck wont start. it cranks and cranks with tons of white smoke out of the exhaust but wont fire. my glow plugs are onley 3 mounts old. any help would be grate. thanks Ryan

blzrgb

Mine has had the same problem before but all i did was make sure the batteries were hot. The cranking RPM's must be high or mine won't start either.

Wolf.Dose

OK, when the glow plug relai does not work propperly,starting problems including white somke are normal.
But first of all, the engine MUST crank with at least 200 rpm to be able to start, the glow plugs may be as good or bad as they whant to be. Below 200 cranking rpm the injection pressure will not reach the minimum required the fire somewhat propperly, neither at 10°F nor 40°F. It cranking rpm are in the required range, next questionis, whether the glow plug module is working propperly. If not (and this is difficult to check without the specified computer) the engine will not start for the glow plugs do not heat propperly. The live time of the module is some 120000 miles or 20 years or so. If the sensor in the left cylinder bank is not working propperly (which happen sometimes), the engine will not glow at all, whatsoever the wait signe shows.
Trouble enough with the more than 20 year old electronic. Good luck with all the possibilyties.
Wolf

Milkman357

White smok from passenger side only...

My first winter with my M-1009 so When It got below freezing I paid attention to starting.....

Once engine starts white puff of smoke comes from passenger side, but not drivers side....

Engine runs a little ruff , Like a gas motor might with a dead spark plug....

SO that means I have a dead glow plug on passenger side....
Driver side no white smoke = all glow plugs working?

I'm just WAG.....Wild A** Guessing...

Ken_86gt

My first winter with my M-1009 so When It got below freezing I paid attention to starting.....

Once engine starts white puff of smoke comes from passenger side, but not drivers side....

Could be almost anything... I would test the glow plugs individually as it is easy to do. But I don't think this is really your problem. I suspect that:
A) Not getting fuel evenly- air leak, injector pump starting to fail, or injector failed.
B) Or low compression - do a compression test.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With engine wear, compression falls off some, and that is a major cause of the engine not starting, in cool or cold temperatures. There may be other problems too, but low compression/white smoke is a big reason why they won't start - that goes for any diesel. Give it a sniff of starting fluid, and it will lite right off.

Lee in Alaska

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With engine wear, compression falls off some, and that is a major cause of the engine not starting, in cool or cold temperatures. There may be other problems too, but low compression/white smoke is a big reason why they won't start - that goes for any diesel. Give it a sniff of starting fluid, and it will lite right off.

Lee in Alaska

Roscoe, the cucv trucks have an automatic glow plug control system. NEVER USE ETHER with this system enabled(disable it first if you chose to use ether and be sure the glow plugs are cold). You will incur severe damage if you don't!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to diagnose, step by step, your complete GP system. Follow the info in the TM. You can test everything except the controller card. It makes no difference when you installed your glow plugs, just leaving the key on with a cold engine(not running) will ruin the glow plugs in just a few minutes(with a correctly functioning gp system).

HardCorps79

I'm no expert by any means, but there are really only about 3 categories of problems with regard to starting, and this really is for any vehicle. You have to have fuel, fire/ a source of combustion, and a source of ignition.
1. It could be an issue with fuel delivery. (e.g. Injector pump, injectors). With normal outdoor temps, white smoke may indicate a timing problem with your injector pump. 'Course, when it's cold, mine always gives a little kick of white smoke on start up. You may have a bad injector or two, but it doesn't really sound like it.

2. It could be a "fire" problem, that is, when it's cold, the compression of the engine doesn't raise the air temperature enough to cause combustion. This is what the glow plugs are for. This is really what it sounds like is going on. You already know you had GPR issues, so I'd check the plugs again, even though they're only 3 mos old. Check that the relay is good. If the plugs and the relay are good, but there's a problem, it may be the control card. Pretty sure flmv.net has these for a reasonable price.

3. Finally, it could be an ignition problem (bad batteries, alternators, starter, etc). If the batteries aren't carrying enough charge due to the cold, they may not provide enough power to the starter to turn the engine over and start the combustion cycle. Be sure your batteries are fully charged and tested. Check that you have full power to the starter. Of course, you said that it seems to be turning over, just not catching. So I don't think it's this either.

Really though, I think the demon is hiding in your glow plug system somewhere. Time to get out the multimeter and go hunting.

Midnight Rider

I've seen gas motors do this in the winter.

Dad's F150 would only have white smoke come out 1 exhaust until the motor warmed up. I thought he said it was something to do with the motor being cold and only one side of the exhaust opening up or something. I can't remember exactly. The truck never had any problems, so I know that wasn't an indicator of one.

4bogginchevys

the white smoke could just be from condensation in the ex pipe...very common

running rough usually indicates un-even cylinder pressure, there are some useful fixes for
that....you might even try checking/re-adjusting valve lash(just as important as tolerance between piston and bore), it's pretty common on a gas engine for lash to change enough to matter, and the cold brings out the dumbest issues!

Last edited:

chevy79k5

well did some traceing and fount out my GP controler card is shot. so i hooked up a momentarey switch and it works like it never had any problems thanks for the help everyone.

1986Blazerk5

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It7UAXrUG20[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTGUPYQrOqM[/media]

Here is a vid(s) of my M1009
Im just wondering what type of glow plugs do you have and do you add anything to the diesel fuel, and what type and brand of battery do you have