• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold starting

chicklin

I checked the other cold-starting threads and didn't see this exact scenario, so here goes.

It's getting a little colder around here, now, and the deuce is a little hard starting. What's weird is that it fires immediately, just like when it's warm, but then dies after a couple seconds of running. I have to do this several times, each time it runs a little longer, until it finally stays running the last try.

When the air temp is warmer or when the engine is warm, it starts immediately. The only other change (other than the ambient temp) is that I replaced all the fuel filters. I bled the system and got a lot of air and bubbles out of it until the fuel ran solid, so I don't think that's it, but I don't know. Any ideas?

dburt

Do you give it a little fuel when you are starting it cold? I give mine just a little fuel, when it is cold and if I don't give it a little fuel via the foot throttle, it will sometimes fire, run for a second or and die, and then I have to hit the starter again, maby twice. But if I give it a little fuel, it seems to catch and run better until about 15-20 seconds go by and then it runs well by itself. I am also going to drain any water that might have collected in the first fuel filter on the frame, just in case there is some moisture starting to build up there. Now that I own the truck and not the military, I will be careful to use fuel conditioner that absorbs water, and prevents fuel gelling in the really cold weather that can occur in the winter time where we live. Like -20 or more below occasionally. Keep the water out of the fuel and filters, and anything below 0 degrees I am very careful to use the anti-gelling additive. Alot of old time logging truck drivers that I know always used ATF fluid to "cut" thier winter time diesel, it also was good for lubing the injector pump. That may be even more helpful now that road diesel lacks lubrication qualities like the old diesel.

Blacksmoke

chicklin, maybe your lift pump is a little weak? Here's what I do if the truck hasn't been run in awhile: turn on the accessory switch & wait about 30 seconds or until you can hear the fuel recirculating back into the tank. This will give the pump enough time to get fuel up to the injector pump. Truck starts right away.

sprucemt

It is the time of year to keep your tanks full. Hot-cold creates condensation in the fuel tank.
Don't put anything red in your fuel tank.
Kero mix starting at 10% thru 50% depending on how much driving you intend to do. If the truck is gonna sit there and you want to fire it up at -10* then start with a heavy Kero mix now.
Use "Hot Stuff" or other high quality "preventive" anti-gel, anti-wax item. It is the parrifin wax in the fuel that plugs the filters.

In regards to your current issue, is it possible you have some airleaks?

chicklin

It is the time of year to keep your tanks full. Hot-cold creates condensation in the fuel tank.
Don't put anything red in your fuel tank.
Kero mix starting at 10% thru 50% depending on how much driving you intend to do. If the truck is gonna sit there and you want to fire it up at -10* then start with a heavy Kero mix now.
Use "Hot Stuff" or other high quality "preventive" anti-gel, anti-wax item. It is the parrifin wax in the fuel that plugs the filters.

In regards to your current issue, is it possible you have some airleaks?

I thought about that and have bled the system very well, so i don't think it's an issue. Also, it fires before the first full turn when the air is warm.

chicklin

Well, I did a little experimentation this morning. First, I let the in-tank pump run for about 20 seconds. Also, I pulled the throttle about two clicks. It fired, died, fired again and kept running, so that's an improvement. Looks like it just needs a little fuel when it's cold.

I just hate giving it any throttle until the oil pressure is built, but I guess that's the way it's going to be. I guess I could pull the stop cable and crank it for several seconds and then let it fire.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know it doesn't get as cold here as other places, but it gets into the 30's quite often. Mine does the same thing if the temp drops into the low 50's. I just use the flame heater. When the engine RPM starts to drop off, click on the heater, RPM starts comming back up and all is fine.

hole

:ditto: Except for the flame heater part. I have to throttle up 100 to 200 rpms over normal idle speed for 10 seconds or so and then she's fine

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you trying to start it with no throttle? Any colder temps and I give it half-throttle to start, then hold it at 800-1000 rpms for about 10 seconds. In the really cold stuff I have to pull the throttle out at 1000 rpm and let it warm up.

sprucemt

I was at Jatonkas's the other night. 40* out. He started 3 trucks that are recently released, brought to his yard and just sitting there. No service done on his part. All three started within 3 seconds of hitting the start button, all but one started and ran at idle, the third had a miss at low idle but cleared up with a little acceleration and warmth. None died after the start.

Talk to Cranetruck or someone familiar with fuel pressure.

I will assume the fuel tank and fuel pump screen are spotless and in good working order.

Is there a smell of diesel in the motor oil?

Blacksmoke

My flame heater was inop when I got the truck so of course I wanted to get it working because I figured it would be necessary when it got cold. I have always been amazed that I never have to use the heater. The truck starts right up & idles perfect. Of course I don't live in Alaska or anything but it is often in the teens or 20's here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks