• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold Starting

7mmTCU

Since this is my first winter with the Deuce, how cold does it need to be before I need to use ether or a heater to start the engine? If I understood what I read on a post, you can damage a diesel trying to start it in cold weather without a block heater. Is that true?
Thanks
Dean

I never use a block heater, one may be a good idea, and only need ether starting at about 10 deg F. I don't like to use my trucks in salt, so they don't get much use in winter. When I do start them I let them warm-up for a long time, to get the oil flowing good

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starting instructions are in the -10TM. You will not need ether or a heater in Fla.

Heavysteven

I am in georgia and have only had to use the heater once. It was 5 degrees out. Every other time truck starts fine.

I think the key to cold starting is clean fuel filters, air filter, and cleaned connections. Of course batteries are the most important. I will never use ether to start my truck period.

bratpackdad

Ether can get down between and under the rings and destroy engines.
Particularily as cylinder wear progresses, things get sloppy and compression gets low.

Also, Ether is far more volatile than the fuel the engine was designed to run on.2cents

JDToumanian

Most people don't realize how cold it gets in the desert.... There have been several times the past few years where the temps got down into the low teens and single digits. I've started my deuce after a night in these conditions, and it fired up with only about 1 second of cranking.

Jon

Attachments

rz14rt

Damage

Just because it will start does not mean you want it to start. I would be concerned about damage caused during warmup when oil is not delivered to the top end due to gelling or cavitation at the oil pump. I manage an airport and preheating aviation piston engines is generally recommended below 20F for these reasons. These engines are similar to ours using large cyl bores and primative tolerancing technology. This is my first winter with my two Deuces and I will use a preheater below 25F to make sure I do no damage. If you have the luxury of mains power near your truck or even a salamander with some fabricated ductwork you should preheat.

whyme

I'm having a real hard time getting mine to kick over below 33 degrees. it will crank and sputter then die. once it does stay running on its own it misfires like crazy until it warms up a bit. if the engine is warm and on days above 40 its just press the button and fires right up.

flyxpl

same as whyme . My A2's and my A3 , the last week we have had 30 degree nights . The trucks start but will die . After a few trys they run , but pretty rough for the first minute . I am also going to go with something to heat the oil . I also do not plan on driving mine much in the winter because of salt on the roads . I may play some out in the country where salt is not used but will limit my driving in snow . Not sure if the manifold heater is working on the A2 does not seem to make it run any smoother during startup .

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whyme & flyxpl - assuming that your filters are clean/new, and your lift pumps are working properly (with accessory switch on, your bleeder on secondary filters should gush fuel), the symptom that you describe can be that your engines show wear. The compression may not be up to specs! Heat never hurts, but usually you can get them started by using starting fluid. Te proper way to use it, is to be cranking engine, and have some one give it a sniff (again - while cranking). Just enough to keep it running. That doesn't hurt anything!

The lowest temp I started mine was around 20 degrees F, maybe even a little lower.
It behaved as usual, and the oil pressure was there after the normal delay.
But it had new filters all around, and a WMO / Diesel / Gasoline mixture in the tank.

Never used pre-heat, cold-start-device, or sniff stuff.

Cheers,
Mark

scopionf89

it was posted that eathering your engion could cause damage. My question is then why do some dueces myen inclueded have eather injectors bilt into them? In fack out of the three trucks that my brothers and I have 2 have eather injuectors and one has the heater swich. Mabe it depends on the truck you have if you have one with the eather injector its ok and if you have one that dose not its not ok.

Stagg

Don't forget that the military continues to be fascinated by arctic conditions, and want everything to be capable of operating there. Hence ether (or older flame heaters) on every truck. Heck my truck has both! the flame heater is disconnected.
On a related note, I've been told that cold-weather operation is part of the reasoning for the oil draining back into the pan, so it can be heated?

deathrowdave

I use the fuel heater and starts fine any temp.!!!! Fresh head gaskets and cleaned and reset injector opening pressure. My engine has two hole injectors and I understand some have one hole this could make a difference in starting . Have a great day,Dave :D

Jimma

The coldest weather I have started mine in while in North Georgia was about 10 degrees. It started perfect and I had no issues. I just let it warm up pretty well and off I went.

rz14rt

Emergency cold start

One way old bush pilots started engines in the boonies was to carry a pot and drain the oil into it. When they wanted to go they heated the oil on the fire and poured it back into the engine. A lot of trouble but effective in an emergency situation. It works.
By the way, in cold temps. oil pressure at the guage does not mean oil or pressure is present where you need it in your engine. They say global warming will cause colder temps. in much of the country this year LOL. Good luck to us all this winter.

Otis

Hi,
New member first time poster. We just purchased a 1991 M929A2 Dump and the cold weather either start can is missing and I can't seem to find any info on it. I believe it might screw into the cold start housing but not sure. Its located under the hood above the drivers side inner fender, Any info on the can that fits it would be helpful. Thanks and great informative site.