• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cold start's

sandcobra164

Started my well maintained Deuce in +17 degree weather tonight with no intake heater assist on the first bump of the starter button. The CUCV stalled out even equipped with good glowplugs. It stayed on the second go around. Is there any harm with running these trucks about an hour a week at fast idle when not in constant use or is it a good idea as I think it is?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im not sure. i know i see my deuce down at the shop and just itch to go cold start it and let it warm up. i have the winter front cover on mine, so that helps it warm up, but its still a slow warm up. tonight is supposed to get down to 11 degrees F and i want to see how good it starts. The only thing i would think bad about starting them up and not working them at operating temperature is incomplete combustion. some of the fuel may get pushed by the rings and contaminate the oil. Fast idle is definately going to help though. Starting them up does help keep them active and batterys charged. I have mine with a full tank of fuel to keep out moisture in the tank and just to have the fuel if i need it. But yes, i probably will cold start the deuce tonight. i should take a video and post it :smile:

Akicita

Years ago I bought a used bus. The seller told me the worst I could do to it was NOT run it regularly. Running it keeps the engine lubed, keeps the tires from developing flat spots, keeps components from rusting, etc.
Run your truck until it reaches operating temparatures. If you can't do that every week, try once every two weeks, or whatever works for you but don't let it sit there for months and months at a time if you can avoid that.

Attachments

Farmun

Started mine yesterday afternoon, but it wasn't pretty. It was in the mid 20's, and dumb me left the nose of the truck pointed to the north east. I cheated and plugged in the engine block heater for a couple of hours before hitting the red button. I was hoping for a quick start, but that didn't happen. Raised the hood, felt the intake, it was warm (due to the block heater). Fuel in the return lines - check, Fuel pump running in the tank - check. Cranked her over til the batteries wouldn't spin the starter very fast. Called a time-out for about 15 minutes, then went back with some starting fluid and a couple of extra batteries. She finally roared to life, and I took her for about a 30 minute drive. Looks like new batteries are in order, or maybe a battery warmer/blanket thingy.

Hoping the outside temps warm up on Saturday, so I don't have this same problem. She has been called into action to carry the grand marshal's of the Christmas Parade - WW2 Veterans!!!

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked on youtube and only found a couple videos of multifuel cold starts. i dont know why, but cold starts always seem to be pretty neat. its almost a true test to any engine of how good it runs to overcome the cold to start. we'll see how good mine does tonight. I think i am going to attach my fluke meter to the batterys to see how low the voltage drops during cranking. i still have the 6TL's in there.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I fired my deuce up today for the first time in about a week, week and a half. Temp was about 20 defrees F. It cranked for a little while with my foot to the floor i was bumping the manifold heater and eventually it stayed running but only about 400 rpm. Foot was still to the floor and i was still bumping the manifold heater. it finally started firing on all 6 cylinders after a few seconds of running at slow speed with my foot to the floor. does this sound normal? I have 100% diesel with power service. I drove it good today at my nieghbors house and got it up to temperature real good with the winter front cover on.

Heavysteven

I did a cold start this morning 30 degree. Truck had not been ran for a couple weeks because I just finished replacing all the hoses. It started on the second spin. Lots of smoke but smoothed out after a minute or so. I use a diesel fuel additive and it helps out. Also, I am glad to report the solargizer I got has been working perfectly.

Akicita

Pushing the accelerator all the way to the floor pumps more fuel than the engine needs. It doesn't really help. In freezing weather, I give just a little "gas". That seems all that's needed to start the engine. Once it's running, I pull the lever to where the engine idles at about 900.

It does help to have good fuel filters. I changed mine this past weekend after I had to crank for 10, 15 seconds. Big difference !!

Akicita

It helps to let the engine run every week - but ONLY if you allow it to reach operating temperature. If you shut the engine off after just a few minutes you probably do more damage than good in the long run.

My old bus has a "fast idle" switch. Fast idle on my bus is 1000 RPM. I suggest the same for the Deuce.

It is best to actually drive the truck, shift through all the gears and use the brakes. When you're back at home or wherever you park the truck, empty the air tanks so that all the moisture escapes.

Enjoy your Deuce !

get a good circulating block heater (1500 watt )leave it pluged in for at least 4 hrs i know they say 2hrs is good but up here if you need to start at minus 33 like it was this morning .its better if its pluged in all night i have one on my deuce and one on both of my diesel tractors . i sold my cows so i dont have to start up every day anymore but i did have to start somthing every day for about 30 years , minus 44 deg f was the coldest day i can think of that i started the deuce minus 56 f is the coldest day i can remember its been way colder than that if you count windchill ..anti gell in your diesel is your frend

jwaller

when using the manifold heater you don't want to bump it, just turn it on and leave it on until the eng runs smooth. I would imagine bumping it does very little to help the system.

DieselBob

From TM 9-2320-361-10

2-15. COLD WEATHER STARTING (BELOW +20°F) (-6.7°C)

Do not press start button for more than 10 seconds at any
time or with headlight on. If engine does not start in
10 seconds, wait 10 top 15 seconds before pressing start
button again. Failure to do this may result in damage
to starter.

Do not operate manifold heater unless engine is idling rough
or being cranked. Doing this may result in damage to engine.

b. Turn manifold heater switch (2) to ON and press start button (1) until
engine starts.
c. Release clutch pedal (7) and turn manifold heater switch (2) to OFF.
d. Perform steps o. and p. in para. 2-14.
NOTE
If engine does not run smoothly after starting, turn manifold
heater switch to ON for 10 seconds, then turn to OFF. Wait
10 seconds and repeat until engine runs smoothly.

Started the deuce today at about 24F first go round without MH she just died, so killed the power, thought for a second and then the proverbial light came on and with an "oh yeah" I turned to power back on, held the heater switch and cranked her over, fired right up. Held the switch until she smoothed out then pulled the throttle cable out 2 clicks to hold at about 1k-1100 rpms, did my walk around, got the torpedo heater out of the way, I was under there adjusting the parking brake and adding a jam nut to the cable so it didnt walk out. After 10 minutes I was at about 125-130F so I pulled up and moved my chock, and away to the fuel station i went.

Found out that my fuel gauge isnt too much of a liar, showed half a tank and she took 25 gallons, to the tune of 86 bucks aua and due to traffic, stop signs, and every red light along the way
this "short" trip of about 30 miles total, took 1.5 hours >< :rant:

Moral of the story:
Manifold heater is your friend, BP is not lol

Farmun

It doesn't get extremely cold in my part of the country. But I would like to do what I can to help my truck start on these cold days just to lessen the strain while starting her up. I put a block heater on my Deuce, and it works really well. After a couple of hours, the intake will get hot enough that you don't want to leave a bare hand on it very long. Now, I'm thinking about addressing the cold batteries. All the info I have read is that a extremely cold battery is about 40% strength of a nice warm toasty one. I have read where people in the Great North use battery heating pads. Any of you guys have one on your MV? How well does it work? Is $50 a good investment to relieve some strain on cold batteries?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
what about putting a battery charger onboard? so when you plug your truck in, it warms up the engine and charges the batterys (5 or 10 amps maybe) so they are "warmed up". I know literally warm batterys are good, but what about just charging them before you start? seems like they would warm up a little from that.

1978davidw

I started my truck yesterday morning it was -3 F. Hit the starter and it cranked over for about 3 seconds and started to fire some then died. I waited a few seconds and done this again with the same spit and sputter that lasted just a little bit longer. Done this a third and fourth time and on the fifth time she fired up and kept running. All with no manifold heater and i didnt even use my cold weather ether start. Needless to say after the 45 min drive to work my hands were froze almost to ice and the cab temp even with the heater inside probably never got above 45. i have a large cardboard in front of the radiator and the engine still struggled to get to 155-160.