• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold startup procedure

ralbelt

There should be a procedure on the drivers sun visor. If not the TM #9-2320-289-10 starting on page 1-13 will give you some ideas.

On my 1008, Once in the seat, turn key on notice that the proper lights are lit, wait for the WAIT light to go off, tickle the go pedal, turn key engine should crank and start in 2-3 seconds when cold, wait for high idle to kick down.

91W350

Normally, I turn the key on and while waiting for the light to go out I depress the fuel pedal about halfway. If it does not start within a few seconds I will start over. This time holding the fuel about half open while cranking. Unless it is close to zero out all three of mine will start in a few revolutions just sitting on the fast idle.

REDWOLF

Does depressing the gas pedel before you start set the high idle, or should you start the truck then set the high idle? I have been starting the truck then bumping the pedel to get it on high idle and then waiting for it to kick back down .:-D

mangus580

My temperatures may be off, but the directions from the visor are something like this:

Above 32* F hold throttle halfway down, and crank when wait light goes out
Below 32* F hold throttle all the way down and crank when wait light goes out

I cant remember without looking if there was a stage where you didnt have to hold it down at all. I used to have a hard time starting mine in the cold until I noticed that decal on the visor and started following it. With a good set of glow plugs, I have started my M1009 down to about -2*F on the first GP cycle. Keep in mind, battery and starter condition play a HUGE factor in how well these trucks start in the cold. The engine needs to achieve a minimum cranking RPM in order to start properly.

zang

Would there be something to remember:
- Glow plugs be ok
- Batteries are ok
- Starter to be ok
- motor oil to be maximum 15W40
- no loss of fuel injection pump.

DokWatson

After the glow plugs cycle I usually hold the pedal halfway down, crank it for 5 seconds, pause, and crank it again. When its super cold I cycle the plugs twice. Hasn't failed to start yet, and I don't have anywhere to plug in.

91W350

The visor says to hold the throttle half open, above 32 and wide open below 32. Mine seems to start better at half throttle or even no throttle. In warmer weather, just wait for the light to go off and they start with just a bump of the starter, very seldom requiring any throttle.

Grega

I watch the volt meter. Even though the wait to start light will go off, the glow plugs will still stay on for a while, around 8 seconds. When the volt meter neddle goes up, hold the accelerator half or all the way down depending on the temp and them try to start.

mf5129

if you just got this and are geeting ready to start it i would bleed fuel system.then check operation of each glow plug.will make life easier all around.you need good quality batteries as well.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Got over a foot of snow, no problem the trusty M1009 will will get me out. Turned the key and found it had been left in the ACC position from a week ago, it's on the charger nowaua
2014 001.jpg That's a 890 so it not going to work.

Hasdrubal

Could be your temperature sensor failed, it's on the back passenger side of head. Or your solenoid could be seized. It's on the drivers side of IP (green wire) pushes on the throttle leaver to bump the idle to 800-900 RPM. After engine warms up to around 125 F the solenoid switches off.

Attachments

Last edited:

Squid in a CUCV

I cycle the plugs 2 to 4 times depending on the temp. If it's single digits and below, I cycle the plugs 4 times. If it's 32* or warmer I cycle the plugs once maybe twice. Then hold the skinny turn the key and within 3 to 5 seconds of cranking she'll fire. Last week it was -13 and she fired up.... (with two cracked heads). lol