• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold Weather and heat-M998

captkennyboy

Hi all, I own astandard HMMWV with a new 6.5l engine. I’m wondering how I can increase the heat in thiscold weather here in northern Michigan. The truck does not come up to operatingtemp to put off enough heat. Most drivingis under 25 MPH on the ranch. Any suggestions

Thanks

Ken

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep...plus I have seen many HMMWV's with no Tstat at all....missing or stuck open. Also, is your fan clutch working?
is it stuck on?mthis would mean it's always in max cooling mode.
disconnect the TDM connector with 2 wires on it...does the fan engage? Then plug it in and see if fan disengages.
if not? Then you need a new TDM and or fan clutch,TDM, Cadillac valve maint.

captkennyboy

thanks the fan works and hasn't come on since i hit the ranch unless i drive it on the freeway. The thermostat I replaced with a new one. What about placing a blanket in front of the radiator???? Has anyone had to do that. the temp here is about 10-25 degrees

captkennyboy

ok I'm going to change the thermostat out again went to the auto part store and only had a 195 and showed no gasket. the thermostat has a rubber o-ring on the top???? any experience with this T

thanks for the help BTW

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buy the correct one from Kascar....should be 180-195, as cold as it is there, not sure if it isn't normal...I'm in calif, my shop,truck never get to temp...fine by me, and fan clutch stil comes on, so my gauge is most likely off.

hummer4x4guy

What I do every winter to help the engine run hotter is to get some of the green sleeping pads and cut out pieces to fit into the slots in the front grill. You can then use whatever number you feel necessary depending on the temp. Have you installed an arctic kit? Helps trap the heat much better than the vinyl.

gcbennet

I wasn't getting very good heat either. I replaced thermostat, cleaned-out the entire coolant system, replaced a couple of questionable hoses, all to no avail. What i ended up doing was pulling the heater core and cleaned it out in my basement washtub with a couple of chunks of garden hose- hot water inlet from the faucet, and one on the outlet drain back to the tub. With good doses of CLR, dishwasher powder, reversing the flow back and forth, and lots of shaking, thumping, and banging, all sorts of crud came out- sand, chunks of solidified reddish-brown coloured stuff, etc. Once the water pressure flowing out was the same as going in i knew it wasn't clogged anymore. She now blows pretty warm air, but not HOT by any means. Considering the amount of heat this engine puts out there should be thermo-nuclear heat blasting into the cabin, but i think this heater design kinda fell short. My two cents worth, anyway.

gcbennet

My temp guage is currently inop, but i don't have a reason to assume otherwise. My truck has a 4-man soft top and even in the cold weather up here it still manages to produce enough heat to be somewhat comfortable inside. In comparison, my ex-Canadian Forces 'Iltis' jeep heater blows so hot that you literally can't hold your hand in front of the diffuser for more than a few seconds before it becomes unbearable, and it only has a little 4-cyl gas engine with electric cooling fans. Better, German engineered design i suppose..lol

captkennyboy

yes mine does the same. warms up enough to give me warm air so seem like they are just colded blooded. Going to change the themostate and than try blocking some of the grill!!!! otherwise more clothes--

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks