• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold Weather Death Wobble?

hambo

Hi SS,
I searched for deuce death wobble threads but most were in CUCV forum. I recently purchased my first deuce and a half and drove it 100 miles back to our farm. No problems. Then drove it 10 miles from the farm and back no problems. Now, when I took it on a 19-20 mile trip back to my house friday night, the steering is wobbling like crazy starting at 10 mph and it gets progressively worse as I go faster. But the steering only started going crazy after driving for 10+ miles. When Im going 30, it feels like the truck is shaking so bad that the rear tires are coming off the ground. Since I drove it last a few weeks ago, the avg. daily temp has dropped from around 35 to 15 degrees, and we've gotten some snow. I re-aired up all the tires last night to 60 psi, and took it on a 20-25 mph run around my neighborhood, a little over a mile, with no problems at all. Just now, I took it to the grocery store and couldn't even make it it was shaking so crazy. Had to pull over and turn around. Even when I go 10 mph, I can feel the front tires slowly shaking back and forth. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could have water in the tires. It could have frozen.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not radial tires? Bias ply tires are really bad about taking a set when sitting, cold, and will take miles to warm and get round again. A steering system with a little play is easily set into death wobble. Getting worse in cold weather kinda points to tire issues, IMHO.

As for water in the tires, we used salt solution in tractor tires years ago and if one of those froze it'd bounce you off the road! You would definitely notice.

Bob

hambo

Thanks for the replies. I bet their is something wrong with the front tires because I just checked and overnight, one tire had lost 10 psi, and the other, when I push the valve stem in, no air comes out, but the tire still looks fully inflated. Im wondering why the steering problems started up after I had already driven over 10 miles?

Jeepsinker

You could have a failing hub bearing with a wheel that is wanting to come off too. As you drive it gets hot and starts to seize up. Or loose/ broken wheel studs and nuts. Either way, if the steering wheel is moving side to side at low speeds I would be more inclined to say it is a mechanical failure.

Last edited:

hambo

I checked the lug nuts and they all seemed pretty tight so I dont think it could be the wheel studs. If it is the bearing, wouldn't I have noticed something at all a few weeks ago when I was driving? I feel like its gotta be related to the drop in temp.

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What version of Deuce do you have? It it an A2 or A3 (or other variant)? Troubleshooting suggestions will be different depending on your version. :wink:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can jack up the front wheels, remove the splined drive hubs, rotate the tire and see if they stop in one spot every time(heavy spot).

hambo

You can jack up the front wheels, remove the splined drive hubs, rotate the tire and see if they stop in one spot every time(heavy spot).
So I would take off the hub and remove the spline shaft with it? What would doing that tell me? Sorry. I have limited knowledge of these things still.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Leave the splined shaft in. Removing the hub will allow the wheel to rotate freely.

Basically, you can check for balance this way.

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you look at the front wheel, you will see a small cap that is shaped kind of like a tee-pee. That is the splined hub cover Doghead referred to. If you jack the front wheels off the ground and remove this cap, (do NOT remove the wheel lug nuts!) the wheels can be spun freely. You then spin them and mark the wheel at the 6 O'clock position with chalk when it stops. Repeat this several times. If they are properly balanced (and no ice in them as well) they will not stop rotating with the same mark at the bottom every time. If they do, they are either out of balance or have ice in them as Doghead mentioned.

Jeepsinker

Well check the hubs for slack while you have the front end jacked up. At least do that for everyone else's safety. Loosing a steer axle wheel is no joke. Don't slough it off as not being a possibility.

Jeepsinker

With the wheels off the ground and the vehicle properly supported, put one hand under the tire at the very bottom and one hand on the outside of the tire at the very top. Pull out towards yourself with your bottom hand while simultaneously pushing in toward the truck with your top hand. If there is very much movement at all you need to park the truck until you can do a proper repair. I would say about 1/4 inch of movement is acceptable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks