• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold Weather Start

ssdvc

So, this past Saturday, Feb 4th 2023, it was -10F actual temperature, with the windchill at -31F in my little northeastern corner of CT. I was heading up to NH early in the morning, but I wanted to see if my M1009, after all the work I have done to her, would start in an extremely cold environment. I got in, turned the key and let the glow plugs do their thing. Then, given the cold, I gave them an extra 10 seconds or so, then turned the key. She cranked over a few times and sputtered, but didn't start. I then tried again and she started to sputtered and then she fired up! She ran really rough for about 30 seconds, white smoke coming from the exhaust, then she smoothed out and it was just water vapor from there. She was alive and looked to be running great !!

I went inside for a few minutes and warmed up (hands were freezing !!!) while the truck warmed itself up. I then got in and intended to take a 20 minute drive just to make sure she warmed up right and ran well. I got down my driveway and head down the street. Well, about a 1/3 of a mile down the road she started to slow down, no matter how much peddle I gave her. I knew something was off right away, so I turned around and headed back to the house. I barely made it up the hill and made the turn into my driveway and she stalled at the street end of the drive. I turned the key and she fired right up, but she wouldn't run unless I kept my foot on the accelerator and even then it was at low RPM. I tried to put her in gear and move her up the drive, but there was no power and she would stall. I knew what the issue was, but I tried for another few minutes before I shut her down and walked back to the house for the fix.

I was guessing that, due to the cold and sitting outside, the fuel must have gelled. I was going to dump some 911 in the tank before I tried to start her, but forgot. Soooo, I retrieved the bottle of 911 (always have at least one during the winter !!), poured about 1/2 into the tank and waited a few minutes, a very cold few minutes ! I then turned the key and she fired right up and ran as normal. The combination of 911 and heat from the engine warmed everything up enough to get me going. I then let her idle for a few minutes, just to make sure, and then took her out for a 30 minute spin. Downtown, the highway and a couple of hills. Everything work well and she ran great. I was actually surprised that she fired up as she did in those temps, as she had been sitting for a few days and she doesn't have a block heater or anything like that. My girl is tough !!

I did take a video of the cold start and will eventually try to figure out how to post it.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use Arctic formula Power Service in every tank during the winter and regular Power Service the rest of the time. You need the lubrication year round and the anti gel in the cold weather!

LT67

I had similar situation with my 86 M1008 when it got down to zero. Took 5 min to get it started. And when it warmed up it was a slug. I had also changed the fuel filter a few weeks prior to the artic blast we got. After that cold front moved out I put on another new fuel filter. The truck came back to life. All I can guess is something froze up and clogged the filter.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing to consider here is ULSD begins to gel at about 12* F and bio diesel begins to gel at about 30* F. This is quite a bit of difference. The diesel will be ok in say a full tank but when it moves thru the smaller lines into the filter it gets colder and then plugs the filter.

nyoffroad

I never add anything to my tanks, but I live upstate NY and all the fuel is treated at the 'factory' (?) and only once had a problem with gelling in the big truck and I had filled up somewhere around NJ or CT.
For you guys in the middle or southern areas you should add some anti gel and/or keep some 911 around, that stuff works great! When I had to use it I dumped about 3/4 of a pint in each tank and then the rest in the fuel filter's glass bowl, I could see it melting the wax crystals! Pretty neat if it wasn't so cold out! Never worried about lubricity, big trucks go a million miles or more with the same IP running the same fuel as you and I.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All my diesel engines start better because the additive raises the cetane rating and they run quiter with the additive because the close tolerances are lubricated properly in the pump and injectors.
I do not believe in waiting until diesel gels to try to remedy the problem either!

cucvrus

So, this past Saturday, Feb 4th 2023, it was -10F actual temperature, with the windchill at -31F in my little northeastern corner of CT. I was heading up to NH early in the morning, but I wanted to see if my M1009, after all the work I have done to her, would start in an extremely cold environment. I got in, turned the key and let the glow plugs do their thing. Then, given the cold, I gave them an extra 10 seconds or so, then turned the key. She cranked over a few times and sputtered, but didn't start. I then tried again and she started to sputtered and then she fired up! She ran really rough for about 30 seconds, white smoke coming from the exhaust, then she smoothed out and it was just water vapor from there. She was alive and looked to be running great !!

I went inside for a few minutes and warmed up (hands were freezing !!!) while the truck warmed itself up. I then got in and intended to take a 20 minute drive just to make sure she warmed up right and ran well. I got down my driveway and head down the street. Well, about a 1/3 of a mile down the road she started to slow down, no matter how much peddle I gave her. I knew something was off right away, so I turned around and headed back to the house. I barely made it up the hill and made the turn into my driveway and she stalled at the street end of the drive. I turned the key and she fired right up, but she wouldn't run unless I kept my foot on the accelerator and even then it was at low RPM. I tried to put her in gear and move her up the drive, but there was no power and she would stall. I knew what the issue was, but I tried for another few minutes before I shut her down and walked back to the house for the fix.

I was guessing that, due to the cold and sitting outside, the fuel must have gelled. I was going to dump some 911 in the tank before I tried to start her, but forgot. Soooo, I retrieved the bottle of 911 (always have at least one during the winter !!), poured about 1/2 into the tank and waited a few minutes, a very cold few minutes ! I then turned the key and she fired right up and ran as normal. The combination of 911 and heat from the engine warmed everything up enough to get me going. I then let her idle for a few minutes, just to make sure, and then took her out for a 30 minute spin. Downtown, the highway and a couple of hills. Everything work well and she ran great. I was actually surprised that she fired up as she did in those temps, as she had been sitting for a few days and she doesn't have a block heater or anything like that. My girl is tough !!

I did take a video of the cold start and will eventually try to figure out how to post it.
My Trail Boss started from the kitchen table while I was having coffee when it was -15 outside. Just messing with you. Glad things are working well for you. I am still in a hold position and trying to get motivated. Take Care.

nyoffroad

My Trail Boss started from the kitchen table while I was having coffee when it was -15 outside. Just messing with you. Glad things are working well for you. I am still in a hold position and trying to get motivated. Take Care.
Good to see you back even once in awhile. I can't imagine what you're going thru. Take care!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks