• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold Weather starting of an M1008 - Any helpful advice ?

fredster67a

Hi, Wondering if anyone has any helpful advice about firing up a stock M1008 in cold weather - having real difficulty as I get about three shots at it and then the batteries go dead - I am wondering if the M1008 is like my 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 that needs to be plugged in to activate the block heater and keep the engine block warm? . On that note is a block heater a good idea for the M1008 to do the same? Or is there any other method or modification that I can install to make cold weather starting more probable? Lastly so as not to have any redundancy with posting the same info again is there a forum web link that addresses this issue.

Thanks again in advance as I know the info I get back will be extremely useful.

Fred

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you have good batteries, all the electrical connections are clean and good, and good glow plugs, let it cycle twice before starting. We have 3 of them we use (2 CUCVs and a dump) and have no problems. Block heater doesn't hurt either.

donalloy1

Not sure what temps your dealing with? Sounds like an engine heater would not hurt. Either way I think your problem is elsewhere. I would start with batteries. Just my .02

Hasdrubal

Does your starter spin over fast enough? If its in need of a rebuild like mine was originally when I got it, it was laboriously painful to get it to fire in cold weather. Now it starts instantly, on one second engagement of the starter.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start with basic maintenance.

Skinny

Just fired mine up without any engine heat in the fifteens. Cycled twice and kicked over. Good batts, fresh GP's, and a good starter. Should have no issues if your IP and fuel system are in good shape.

rsh4364

If you only get 3 shots at it you probably need better batts. and or glow plugs,when I bought mine she required a jump if below 20 degrees.I added optima redtops and autolite 1112 glows,and she starts everyday even below 0, shes not always happy about it but does start.I would deff. add a block heater,Its on my to do list.

MTMUDRUNNER

It was 0 here last weekend elk hunting and I was a little worried but she fired right up with 2 GP cycles, sounded better than I thought it would. I put new GP's in this fall and I always run Howes additive in all my diesels.

rsh4364

While we are on cold start subject,I have been thinking about running Rotella T-6 motor oil,just to make starts easier and quiter,any thoughts or experience?

MarcusOReallyus

Not sure what temps your dealing with? Sounds like an engine heater would not hurt. Either way I think your problem is elsewhere. I would start with batteries. Just my .02

Nothing that needs an engine heater. I'm with you - his problems are elsewhere.

Like the dog said, fredster, start with basic maintenance. Your batteries or your starter or your GPs are marginal, or maybe all three.

Brett09

Test the batteries and make sure they are up to snuff, do the general maintenance and go from there. Try doing a search on things like "cold weather" "hard start" and see what others have run into. If it still has an issue starting look into the injectors or injection pump.

scottladdy

I don't recall ever paying that much per gallon. More like $20+ at Wally world. In the cold my engines spin faster on startup. I did not measure with a tach, but it was noticeable to my highly tuned ear rofl.

Startup noise, assuming you mean cold start clatter, is really not affected by the oil that I am aware of. It is more a function of combustion when the engine is cold, flame front propagation, timing, etc.

I have run synthetics for years. Had multiple occasions to open up engines I've run that way since new (not due to any lubrication issues, head gaskets, oilpan gaskets, etc). You could always eat off the insides.

Is it worth it? To me, yes. But I have nothing really empirical to share to make it anything more than my opinion aside from the low temp flow tests and my perception that cranking is considerably faster in the cold. I figure it is added insurance, and I am still ahead changing the oil myself vs what it would cost me to have a dealer do the service.

I follow the recommended intervals in the -12.

Hope this helps ...

Durango_USMC

If your batteries die that quick and easy, you need some new ones. Or you need to look at your alternators and make sure theyr're actually charging. Inspect your starter and maybe a quick tune up on the glow pugs. The TMs are free and a big help even in the troubleshooting section. MD doesnt get much colder than IN and I fired up the M1008 the other day when it was in the teens and it started in the first attempt. Youll get it up and running just do a little research and grab the tool kit and a TM.

KORNDOG

Plus read the visor, or the TM for the correct starting procedure.

Who follows that? I never knew throttle was recommended to start a diesel. But it sure seems to help allot in cold weather.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks