• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold Weather Starting

oldshep

Is there any thing I can do to help my ldt-465 start better(as is quicker and smoother) in sub freezing temps. It starts good at 40 degrees. Will it hurt to give it some gas while cranking? Will letting the tank pump run a little before starting help. I dont have any engine heaters on it. Thanks for your commments!

jwaller

keep the batteries stored in doors and installed them in the truck when needed. it will make a huge idfferance in the battery life and starting ability.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Cold Weather Starting

jwaller said:
keep the batteries stored in doors and installed them in the truck when needed. it will make a huge idfferance in the battery life and starting ability.
A battery warming pad works well too, but needs 120VAC.
The intake manifold heater (flame heater) may have some issues and can't be relied on especially if your engine is turbo equipped IMHO.
If you resort to starting fluid, use it sparingly in small puffs and only while cranking.

Make sure you don't have air in the fuel lines and bleed the lines (valve on top of secondary/final filter bracket).

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Cold Weather Starting

Have you read the operators manuals?(should be reading the TMs in bed at night... :lol: ) Does your truck have the manifold heater or the either start? Does it(whichever you have) work properly?

Armada

I always open the throttle on mine when starting cold, it definately helps. I also use the ether injection for cold starts, one shot will bring the engine to life. Saves tremendously on crank time, starter wear and battery life. It's a very simple kit to install. If you do a search here, you will find that it has been talked about in the past. I think there is even a link for the kits. Good luck.

Attachments

joec

add some diesel conditioner to it also all kinds out there. But what mudlord says works.I started mine the other morning at 30 degrees f and no problem

cbvet

My non-turbo Deuce rarely turns 2 full revolutions before starting. Have tried it down to 0°.
I don't know why it starts so well, or why it gets only 5-7 MPG.
Eric
CBVET

chuck500cc

Armada said:
I always open the throttle on mine when starting cold, it definately helps. I also use the ether injection for cold starts, one shot will bring the engine to life. Saves tremendously on crank time, starter wear and battery life. It's a very simple kit to install. If you do a search here, you will find that it has been talked about in the past. I think there is even a link for the kits. Good luck.
Ok, I have been looking at these trucks for awhile but never asked. What is the orange canister on the firewall? :oops:

houdel

Most Deuces are equipped with either a flame heater or an ether system for cold weather starting. The flame heater burns a small amount of fuel in the intake manifold while cranking to raise the inlet air temperature and make the main fuel charge ignite more readily. The ether system sprays a measured shot of ether into the intake manifold as a start aid. Either system if working properly should get you started down to 0F or better. The flame heater as mentioned had its share of problems so the ether start became the preferred system, with many trucks having the flame heater replaced by the ether system at depot rebuild. If your existing cold start system is not working properly, a 2-3 second shot of ether into the air intake mushroom should do the trick. As mentioned, DO NOT attempt to use ether and the flame heater together. Ether will NOT mix well with the burning fuel in your intake manifold!!!!

majortom

My Personal Deuce has the ether injector, once you energize it the ether will discharge when the engine starts cranking, that truck will start at 25 degrees or higher without ether the lower the temp the further i depress the pedal my 543 has a non-lighting manifold heater it will start at 25 degrees by using the heater as a fuel enrichment device. i trigger it for two seconds and then crank the engine when it really gets cold that doesn't work. At ten below I use a healthy shot of ether sprayed after the air cleaner directly into the intake, i then depress the throttle halfway and with a little luck the truck fires right up. the coldest i have ever managed to get one of these trucks to start was at 28 degrees below zero. The big problem was not getting the engine to ignite but the fear of blowing a head gasket or other damage. Anytime you start one of these engines at freezing or below i strongly advise that you keep the engine running at the lowest possible RPMs for several minutes so all the parts are happy. Regardless which starting system you have if it is in proper working order and you have a solid motor and fuel injection system your truck sould start at 20 degrees without battery warmers, block heaters, or other devices

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks